Changing over whole room to HydroA

• Thread starter AdkBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AdkBuds

Changing over whole room to hydroa

We have a large room divided in two (one for autos & veg, seen here, and on the other side of the wall is a small space for blooms) which has always done soil based. However based on recent problems & yields I’ve finally decided to go hydro like my dad has wanted for a long time.

My first quandary is what sort of system will give us a similar size? Most that I have seen are small, 4-6 for a grow tent usually, but our room obviously is made for quantity. So first question is what sort of hydro system could I get that would run large numbers of plants? Would it be more feasible to just buy multiple small systems?

Last edited:
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

View attachment 1316104

We have a large room divided in two (one for autos & veg, seen here, and on the other side of the wall is a small space for blooms) which has always done soil based. However based on recent problems & yields I’ve finally decided to go hydro like my dad has wanted for a long time.
cool, what lights are you running, left looks hps? autos look rather small what genetics?✌️ 🇿🇦

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

View attachment 1316104

My first quandary is what sort of system will give us a similar size? Most that I have seen are small, 4-6 for a grow tent usually, but our room obviously is made for quantity. So first question is what sort of hydro system could I get that would run large numbers of plants? Would it be more feasible to just buy multiple small systems?
How much "quantity" are you wanting?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

View attachment 1316104

automated drip feed grodan blocks on trays scenario? ✌️ 🇿🇦

A

AdkBuds

How much "quantity" are you wanting?
To basically replace the same space and fill it is what I mean.

automated drip feed grodan blocks on trays scenario? ✌️ 🇿🇦
Ooo maybe, and it would allow for expansion or decline fairly easily I imagine.. Either they kind of system or deep water buckets is what I’ve been pondering today.

Automated or semi auto, I’m not overly fussy on that detail since I am in there daily.

To give you background my hydro experience is minimal and I am in the research stage. I did one hydro grow using air pumps, sterilite bin drilled with net cups, and RAW 2 part ferts. I cloned in that and also grew an autoflower start to finish (just the one). I considered that dipping my toe in the water enough to prove it was for me. However I don’t want such a DIY system on a large scale, I’d prefer an already built one but luckily I have a good budget. Just to explain how far I’ve gone so far, which is obviously not much.

Since I’ve decided to switch over the whole room I want to plan it thoroughly because it’s going to be a big hullabaloo. So far all that entails is not starting new plants & research.

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

To basically replace the same space and fill it is what I mean.

Ooo maybe, and it would allow for expansion or decline fairly easily I imagine.. Either they kind of system or deep water buckets is what I’ve been pondering today.

Automated or semi auto, I’m not overly fussy on that detail since I am in there daily.

To give you background my hydro experience is minimal and I am in the research stage. I did one hydro grow using air pumps, sterilite bin drilled with net cups, and RAW 2 part ferts. I cloned in that and also grew an autoflower start to finish (just the one). I considered that dipping my toe in the water enough to prove it was for me. However I don’t want such a DIY system on a large scale, I’d prefer an already built one but luckily I have a good budget. Just to explain how far I’ve gone so far, which is obviously not much.

Since I’ve decided to switch over the whole room I want to plan it thoroughly because it’s going to be a big hullabaloo. So far all that entails is not starting new plants & research.
Pls define "large room "

My room is 13 ft x 16 ft and i grow 4 plants

A

AdkBuds

Pls define "large room "

My room is 13 ft x 16 ft and i grow 4 plants
Oh wow!! That’s wild.

I was thinking 20 plants minimum. We like to do different kinds, breed, and experiment. 3-4 dozen is like a ceiling. I probably have 3 dozen in there now. Granted, I told my dad if we could sort out yields a bit more, which hydro ought to help with, then we would need less in quantity. But we’ll always want to have like 8 varieties at a time😂

Also keeping my mother plants in soil in a grow tent - should I do it always, or just early on while I make sure I’m getting the hang of hydro/haven’t killed the damn lot of them?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I am on my 2nd and 3rd hydro grow and loving it! The learning curve is steep but once you get a few basics, you will love it too! I don't have a lot of time right now but I would start here bro-

I have the single plant version of this and it works great, see my journals. Here is the 8 plant version and it goes up from there. These are great systems but need a bit of modification for Cannabis.

I'll check in later see if there is more I can add.

A

AdkBuds

I ended up biting the bullet after being sick for days & days. It was awful, but moving swiftly onward and upward!

I shifted all my photogenics into 11/13 a couple days ago, which for me was the ‘it’s officially happening’ moment. It’s really going to get interesting now!

March is my mental deadline now. I’ve been cleaning the grow room to high heaven to prepare rather than procrastinate. Also moved out anything not needed anymore. Still have a ways to go but, god, it’s like a whole new space. Two different units from Active aqua were what I ended up ordering which’ll be a total of 20 five gallon pots. One ebb & flow and one deep water culture style, and whichever is preferred will get a second ordered probably (if neither than an entirely other one). A large amount of hydrotron is on its way to my house. I ordered a RO unit which should arrive tomorrow, and I’ll start playing with it while filling a fish tank so by the time I need it for hydro I’ll have it mastered. Just can’t nail down some other elements like TDS monitor (Bluelab?) but ever since biting the bullet a lot more has come together. Especially that I’m feeling better about it all - it’s happening & I’m now locked in with some choices so it’s kinda let me get excited about hydro instead of a massive wave of apprehension. Which is a great change!

I’m officially excited!

It’s real.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Most people move to hydro for reasons other than more green coverage under the light. Check out some SCROG or SOG pics if you're not familiar with those grow methods. SOG=Sea Of Green (very little available area wasted). A soil grow is quite capable of covering the majority of area under a grow light(s).

A

AdkBuds

Most people move to hydro for reasons other than more green coverage under the light. Check out some SCROG or SOG pics if you're not familiar with those grow methods. SOG=Sea Of Green (very little available area wasted). A soil grow is quite capable of covering the majority of area under a grow light(s).
That’s not why I am moving to hydro, and I’m familiar with SOG - it doesn’t work for my set up as is. I wish it did but I have 2 walls not 4. Im mainly moving to hydro because I got the bankroll for it and I’ve had a lot of issues with soil, none of them are light related.

Last edited:
A

AdkBuds

Oh and damn all this hydro reading. I’ve decided with March as Hydro month, I’ll aim for May as aquaponics month.

I’ve toyed with the idea of aquaponics for so long. Fish have been a long term love of mine. About half of what I read on the subject at a home level I find concerning, based on how certain instructions leave the fish’s well-being to the wayside in favor of production. I am an animal lover and I was in charge of a pet store fish department, so I’m always invested in pet well being above all else. A lot of home aquaponics seems to be based on commercial ideas which don’t focus on that because the bottom line is top priority, and I think I can see a better way involving things I already have around the house.

After changing jobs I downsized over a couple years from 12 tanks to just 2. That leaves an awful lot of leftover equipment, which I’ve got in mind a unit to make. It’ll support 1-2 plants max and use an ebb & flow tray on top.

May is the aim because I’ll take the time to season, prep a good bacteria colony using my main tanks and blockout the tank within the grow room for algae. This’ll happen I’m thinking in March, after the hydro systems go in - either 20 or 29 gallons, I have two spare of each 😂 I already have aquarium NPK and micronutrients since my main tank is a 55g planted. There’s not much gear to get at all for this plan, surprisingly!

So many thoughts!

steamroller

steamroller

I am a fish head at heart and have all the equipment from a thousand gallon plus fish room!
The fish room is on not running so I have tons of stuff like you.
I even have brand new pumps and replaceable parts.
I hope to incorporate a new fish room in the next veg room build if I could.
I would hope to recycle water but don't see a properly set up tank feeding a garden or even one huge hungry plant? 🤷‍♂️
I am interested to see what you think up.

A

AdkBuds

I am a fish head at heart and have all the equipment from a thousand gallon plus fish room!
The fish room is on not running so I have tons of stuff like you.
I even have brand new pumps and replaceable parts.
I hope to incorporate a new fish room in the next veg room build if I could.
I would hope to recycle water but don't see a properly set up tank feeding a garden or even one huge hungry plant? 🤷‍♂️
I am interested to see what you think up.

It makes total sense - stoners are fish people. We get high & watch the fish. My fav way to spend time with them.😂I love it!

Love the sound of your fish room. Sounds like a couple hardcore customers - always such cool setups. I didn’t have a dedicated room like I do with bud, so I stuck a tank in every room of my home instead! One lady I knew bought out an old store system so it was literally like row upon row of crystal clear professionalism despite her having 2 dozen tanks. So freakin cool!

I’m excited as well! I can’t wait but I have to. I was yelling at my photogenics last night for taking so long, lol

Top Bottom