Changing Soil Mixes

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Currently using happy frog/perlite for veg. Final containers based with super soil recipe with happy frog as base mix plus full array of amendments. Just finishing veg about to dip their roots into the super soil. Let you know how it goes. I'll have a few pics on my diary soon.

D

Dennis922

I've used FFOF for years,get it from a local shop in town.They keep it outside.I'ver never gotten any bugs or unwanted insects ever. I have added perlite but that's it.Until just recently that's what I've been using and having great results with.Now,thankfully I have a shop that will order Nectar #4 for me as needed.I pay $25 for a 1.5 liter bag but if I buy aver a certain number of bags I get a discount.Just running this soil on my curren t grow and am using NFTG nutrients I wanted to run it as well as I can.I used to use Black Gold,Happy Frog,etc. FFOF is good shit here but I believe Nectar #4 to be superior.
Hey Dude, How did the NFTG #4 soil work out for you as I'm thinking about giving it a try on my next grow?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have used ffof for years, once i got a bag with those little fruit fly gnats but a little de earth killed there assess dead, bio bizz, pro mix, it's all pretty much the same, I would just ask my hydro guy.

Shawncan75

Shawncan75

Ok so the last month or so I’ve been fighting with Fox Farm Ocean Forest and it’s got me bummed out. I used it for years and never had any issues but I’ve read that we now get it from their east coast facility and that’s next to a landfill and there’s been reports of copious gnats and all kinds of weird shit being found in it. As well as it being really high in ph which is a major issue I’ve been having with it.

Thus locking out vital nutrients and stressing my plants.

So it’s time to make a change.

I’ve been checking out BioBizz Allmix and Sunshine Mix #4 as possible alternatives. I usually use:

40% FFOF
40% Canna Coco
20% Perlite
And a bit of dolomite lime for ph buffering, added calcium and magnesium.

I like this recipe because it’s simple and not too hot for seedlings. It also allows me to control the nute feeding schedule based on what each plant needs. Now that being said I’d like to keep the main recipe but just swap out the FFOF for one of the other two.

I like BioBizz, so I’m partial to that brand in general. I use their nutes and have had excellent results with them. They don’t seem to burn the plants and the plants love them (when the ph is in range to allow proper nutrient uptake).

My questions are. Does anyone have experience using these other soils as a base? What admendments do they need if so. Are there other soils I should consider instead if I can get access?

I know I can get these two quite easily at local hydro shops so I’d like to keep it local if possible to save on shipping costs.

Any thoughts? All replies and info are appreciated.
I assume the Happy Frog comes from this new site as well because I’ve been finding lots of black pieces of plastic in my soil. I was told it was a fresh shipment at the Hydro Store.. I read this thread a while ago & glad to find it again to add my 2 cents.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I use a very simple Promix and 20% composted manure (avail at Loews for $1.79/30 lb bag), with a handful of wood ashes and a small dose of general purpose extended release fertilizer (just for general supplementation, a very light dose) and have had great success and absolutely no problems other than of my own doing (mites) for 30+ years. I have had a few members try it and it is very reliable and simple. Promix drains very well and doesn't come full of nutrients, so you are in charge of what you feed. I use 20-20-20 Jacks every 10-15 days and water a gallon or so a day when they get larger, about 7 ft indoors. It is very cheap to do, very reliable, and you die of boredom since you usually don't need to do anything other than water them and feed as needed. You don't need all of the potions and powders, and it still works great.
I know some growers insist on having the latest and greatest, but this method works great for a fraction of the cost. Photos on request! :)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I assume the Happy Frog comes from this new site as well because I’ve been finding lots of black pieces of plastic in my soil. I was told it was a fresh shipment at the Hydro Store.. I read this thread a while ago & glad to find it again to add my 2 cents.

Their “new” bagging facility in the easy has been operating for at least 5 years. And i am swithching back to Ocean Forest after trying 2 other popular soils here. OF has been stable for me every bag. And we get the “new” facility stuff here.

Sometimes stuff gets crushed and mixed in during soil production.

Latest posts

Top Bottom