Chasing my tail. What is this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Thread starter NorthernMitten
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Hey guys. Im new to the site and this is my first post. Hoping some of u guys can help me out. I guess ill start by giving some environmental details. I recently had to move into tents due to space issues and im currently growing in a 4x8 tent. Space juice from solfire 20 clones about 2.5 weeks from transplant in half gal pots coco/perlite 70/30. Fed once per day 1.7 ec 5.9-6.1 ph to a little runoff using jacks part a and part b with some epsom. I have 2 3x3 tents that i plan on moving some of these plants into. Right now they are growing under 2 hlg 600r’s 36 inches away from the canopy and i have the dimmer set to the 3rd setting, which reads about 21,000 lux on average throughout the tent according to my cheap uni-t lux meter. Temps and humidity are steady between 78-82 deg and 58-65 rh. Fans for airflow. I have been getting orange or brown leaf edges that seem to continue to get worse while all of my new growth seems to be nice and healthy. I have been going back and fourth between deficiencies and possible light burn? I am just not really sure and wondering if any of u guys have dealt with this before. I have a few grows with these lights in a room setting and never had these type of issues so im just not sure whats up. Ill throw some pics up. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chasing my tail what is this any help is greatly appreciated
Chasing my tail what is this any help is greatly appreciated 2
Chasing my tail what is this any help is greatly appreciated 3
Chasing my tail what is this any help is greatly appreciated 4
Last edited:
A

alpha.ganjaguy

Did you modify your feed rate recently? it looks like a mag issue but you mention you give them epsom so I'm confused.

NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Hey dude thanks for the reply. I have been pretty consistent with my feed rates. At this point im feeding jacks once a day at around 1.7-1.8 ec 5.8-6.1 or so ph. My runoff is within a few hundred ppm so i seem to be good in the numbers. Just confused as well. Somethings off just not sure exactly what.

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Hey, @NorthernMitten.

Half gallong pots should be exchanged by now for larger ones. The roots seem to be hitting the walls of the pot, and then your plant is having to go through some stress and send roots back inwards to find more nutrients in the soil. They are losing surface area pressed up against the planstic pot.

Increasing the pot size will help the plants adjust to the new light and environment you've placed them in.

3 gallons should be too big or cause you problems maneuvering in your tent.

Your feeds seem high to me, but if the plants can handle it then the strain is a heavier feeder so that should be okay. One way to make sure wether or not you are under or overfed, is to feel the brown parts on the edges of your leaves. If they are crunchy and brittle, then you most likely have over fed, but if they brown dead edges are soft and maleable, then most likely you can pot them up to a larger pot and the issue should resolve.

Maybe turn back the lights until they green up again, because the interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the green veins) in the leaves is giving us mixed messages.

If this were happeneing to me and I was using .5gal pots, I would size them up, give the plants more room for the roots to search through the soil, and increase humidity slightly which can be as simple and dimming the lights until they green up after the transplating.

Don't be too frustrated here, the issue should resolve with a larger pot with not much else being changed.

You want as much surface area for the roots to pull nutrients from, and what you are seeing is just the roots hitting the sides of the pots and the plant being a bit stressed, not because it doesnt have nutrients in the soil, but because the newest roots are cramed up against the plastic pot and do not have access to the nutrients you are giving them.

New growth pulls from new roots, you can think of it like that. Give those new roots some space.

You are doing everything right, but your pots are just too small for the plants needs. Very hard to keep plants luscious and green in such a small pot.

The new growth you have that is green, shows that the roots have probably turned back in and are again having some access to the nutrients in the soil. It's entirely possible the plant starts to get a bit better, but the quickest way to remedy this is to transplant to larger pots.

Last edited:
NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Hey @ev.dawgy thanks for taking the time to reply. U are right. I am about a week past time to pot up. I am going to take care of that tomorrow. I was trying to get this sorted out before i transplanted, but it is time. I use 3 gal plastic pots for flower. Would be nice if it were something so nice and simple. We will see. I have really been scratching my head with this.

NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

This is Light burn. How far from the plants is your light? It's to close. You need to pick the 4 best plants and replant them into very large pots. Compost the rest. Let the 4 plants fill your tent.
Thanks for the reply. The lights are 36-40 inches from the canopy. I grow in coco in 3 gal pots. Large pots don’t fit my style of growing. I plan to have 8 plants in this space to flower. First time growing in tents.

NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Right now im at 21,000 lux averaged throughout the tent. When i dim my light it puts me at about 15 and the plants start to stretch. Also leaves at the bottom of some plants and leaves in shadows are affected the same. That is what was making me wonder if it was light burn or not. Really appreciate the response. I will play around with the dimmer some more.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Right now im at 21,000 lux averaged throughout the tent. When i dim my light it puts me at about 15 and the plants start to stretch. Also leaves at the bottom of some plants and leaves in shadows are affected the same. That is what was making me wonder if it was light burn or not. Really appreciate the response. I will play around with the dimmer some more.
Hey bud. Save this link for reference later. Check it out and see what you think I use this link when watching my own grows.
https://drcannabis.io/symptoms

NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Suspecting PH drift.
Hey @Ponky thanks for taking the time man. I have been pretty consistent with ph going in. I have gotten out of the habit of checking ph of runoff in coco, but i have a bluelab soil ph meter so i went and checked them all. 6.1-6.4 medium ph throughout the tent. I know some are on the “high” side but they are still in range so i wouldn't expect this. Just confused.

NorthernMitten

NorthernMitten

Ok. I suspect Iron might not be sufficient.
Wouldn’t u think jacks and tap water would provide enough iron? My tap water is fairly soft at 175 ppm but i would think this would be plenty? I guess my thought would be if it was iron then why? When enough is being supplied? My root zone temps are 71? Idk ive never had to deal with this before so as u know it can be frustrating. Not trying to argue or anything I’m just stumped and trying to make sense of it all.

Last edited:
Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Hey, @NorthernMitten.

Half gallong pots should be exchanged by now for larger ones. The roots seem to be hitting the walls of the pot, and then your plant is having to go through some stress and send roots back inwards to find more nutrients in the soil. They are losing surface area pressed up against the planstic pot.

Increasing the pot size will help the plants adjust to the new light and environment you've placed them in.

3 gallons should be too big or cause you problems maneuvering in your tent.

Your feeds seem high to me, but if the plants can handle it then the strain is a heavier feeder so that should be okay. One way to make sure wether or not you are under or overfed, is to feel the brown parts on the edges of your leaves. If they are crunchy and brittle, then you most likely have over fed, but if they brown dead edges are soft and maleable, then most likely you can pot them up to a larger pot and the issue should resolve.

Maybe turn back the lights until they green up again, because the interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the green veins) in the leaves is giving us mixed messages.

If this were happeneing to me and I was using .5gal pots, I would size them up, give the plants more room for the roots to search through the soil, and increase humidity slightly which can be as simple and dimming the lights until they green up after the transplating.

Don't be too frustrated here, the issue should resolve with a larger pot with not much else being changed.

You want as much surface area for the roots to pull nutrients from, and what you are seeing is just the roots hitting the sides of the pots and the plant being a bit stressed, not because it doesnt have nutrients in the soil, but because the newest roots are cramed up against the plastic pot and do not have access to the nutrients you are giving them.

New growth pulls from new roots, you can think of it like that. Give those new roots some space.

You are doing everything right, but your pots are just too small for the plants needs. Very hard to keep plants luscious and green in such a small pot.

The new growth you have that is green, shows that the roots have probably turned back in and are again having some access to the nutrients in the soil. It's entirely possible the plant starts to get a bit better, but the quickest way to remedy this is to transplant to larger pots.
100 agree bigger pots

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Potassium deficiency. Stop the mag sulphate for now.

no direct wind on the plants and feed more often to keep a stable root zone.

reduce light intensity a bit until sorted. The leaves are showing some transpiration stress and thats driven by light.

dont go to huge pots 1-3 gal is perfect for coco with 70/30 you just need to feed less more often.

Top Bottom