CHEAP $15CAD solution to siphoning issue on autofeed systems.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So anyone that may have had or is having an issue with a the syphoning effect that can happen due to pump, line or reservoir placement can easily fix the issue. By using a cheap normally closed solenoid tied into the pump it stays closed until the pump kicks on then opens. When the pump shuts off the solenoid shuts off and closes eliminating any syphoning effect that may be an issue.

For AC or DC pumps simply wire the solenoid into your pump or add a plug to the solenoid and plug into the same timer as the pump. Most common is half inch PVC so these links will will be that size but you will need the PVC fitting to make the connection.

For AC.

For DC.

That's it.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Yeah I had a hard time finding one that wasn't metal for a decent price.
Ok I spoke to quick lol been awhile since i used that setup so I had to go look at it , I ran a 1 inch main line off the pump and all my spaghetti lines off that, the highest part of my main line was at the top of the rez. , so what I did was I got a cheap one way check valve in the plumbing section at the hardware store , it actually has a rubber flapper in it, the valve was threaded on one side and had a 1 inch smooth end on the other, I also got a 1 inch t , cut the main line at top of rez. put plastic T in the line with the one opening pointed strait up, on that end I glued on the valve, so when the pump turned on that flapper would close, the main line would pressurize, and when the pump stopped the valve would open allowing air in the line. stopping the syphoning effect. lol way simpler then my how to explanation lol , but a few bucks to do and never failed.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Iā€™ve used these on my saltwater aquariums and they work well, first one you can easily clean with out removing it.

420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

Any chance someone could explain where to connect the solenoid wires to the pump? I have 0 electrical experience, other than knowing how to keep a safe electrical load. Dumb question, but do I cut the power cord to the pump and connect the solenoid wires to the pump wires? šŸ„“šŸ˜µāš” I did a bunch of searching and can't find anything.. it's probably too dumb of a question lol. TIA!

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

If your system is anything like mine, the solution is FAR more simple! Just poke a hole in the appropriate location.

I have a simple drain to waste system based on stuff at cocoforcannabis.com. I was having siphon issues until I simply poked a hole in the water line near the top of the reservoir. I then popped a drip emitter from an outdoor drip irrigation system, because I had some in the garage, but it's not needed. When the pump is running, a few drops come out. When the pump goes off, the siphon is immediately broken and water drains from both sides of the hole and stops.
20220313 095851

420hobbygrower

420hobbygrower

If your system is anything like mine, the solution is FAR more simple! Just poke a hole in the appropriate location.

I have a simple drain to waste system based on stuff at cocoforcannabis.com. I was having siphon issues until I simply poked a hole in the water line near the top of the reservoir. I then popped a drip emitter from an outdoor drip irrigation system, because I had some in the garage, but it's not needed. When the pump is running, a few drops come out. When the pump goes off, the siphon is immediately broken and water drains from both sides of the hole and stops.
View attachment 1230176
I actually did something similar in my last set up, but it was really spraying water through the hole, so I thought I'd try something else to essentially maximize the pressure my pump is putting out. I think I'll probably go this route again, but really try to make the hole as tiny as possible.

Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom