Cheap ass coco coir

• Thread starter PlumberSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

The 99 Cent store has some deals from time to time. Yesterday I picked up 5 8qt bags of coir for 1.99 a bag. All they had or I would have bought more even being a no name brand.
20190709_111357.jpg

I looked up the upc and no listing.

Looks good
20190709_115954.jpg

I'll run some tests tonight to see if it needs to be flushed of salts.

I'll be adding 30% perlite and give it a go in a 1 gal pot and put in some basil.

Since I plan on growing in pots all through fall and winter in the greenhouse I thought I'd give coir a try.

I've read about everything I could find, even got caught up on some mushroom growing threads, looking to mix the coir with soil. Few have had success with such mixes so for now it will be coir, perlite and nutes.

Suggestions, comments, HELP would be much appreciated.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

The 99 Cent store has some deals from time to time. Yesterday I picked up 5 8qt bags of coir for 1.99 a bag. All they had or I would have bought more even being a no name brand.
View attachment 880266

Looks good
View attachment 880267

I'll be adding 30% perlite and give it a go in a 1 gal pot and put in some basil.

Since I plan on growing in pots all through fall and winter in the greenhouse I thought I'd give coir a try.

I've read about everything I could find, even got caught up on some mushroom growing threads, looking to mix the coir with soil. Few have had success with such mixes so for now it will be coir, perlite and nutes.

nothing wrong with using coco,i just dont cause of the work involved im lazy hahahahh,hell ya run some water threw a pot of it and check the ppm,might need more rinsing if you dig,soil and coco work just as good as soil and peat,just have to feed it more,but with soil in with it you can build bioligy and fine soil with it,go hard with it,im still debating on building me a greenhouse,winter were im at is usally around mid 40's during the night and fifties during the day,then winter usally last about 3 or 4 days,past season i got 3 days in the twenties,burned the tips of potato's and didnt even effect my brocille or cauliflour or sugar snaps,i just cut tips of the potato plants and harvest them about mid march

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

what is your plan? myself i would go with 1:1:1,1 part soil,1 part compost,1 part coco mixed with both perlite and vermiculite 1:1:1 equal on all three,then id add potash for K,kelp for P and the buffer would be wood ash on the coco-per-lite and vermiculite,never can go wrong loaded with ewc and dont forget the guano to help on the P and K,Ni dont really bring into a soil cook it can always be added threw the top as needed,the potash will give the plants strength and make there ass stand straight up,kelp will get them roots in top shape,the wood ash will put the control on all the hot stuff haaha

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

what is your plan? myself i would go with 1:1:1,1 part soil,1 part compost,1 part coco mixed with both perlite and vermiculite 1:1:1 equal on all three,then id add potash for K,kelp for P and the buffer would be wood ash on the coco-per-lite and vermiculite,never can go wrong loaded with ewc and dont forget the guano to help on the P and K,Ni dont really bring into a soil cook it can always be added threw the top as needed,the potash will give the plants strength and make there ass stand straight up,kelp will get them roots in top shape,the wood ash will put the control on all the hot stuff haaha
I was thinking the same. I'll do one with and one without compost. A lot of growers seem to like just the coco with no perlite. After growing in manure and how it holds water I figure I better use some perlite until I get use to it.

newh

newh

View attachment 880266

Looks good
View attachment 880267

if your gonna go with no organic amendments get coco specific nutes.even if its washed good of salts it may need to be buffered with cal

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I was thinking the same. I'll do one with and one without compost. A lot of growers seem to like just the coco with no perlite. After growing in manure and how it holds water I figure I better use some perlite until I get use to it.
compost will build that organic matter and macro nutrients,that why i mentioned not to worry over N cause the compost has plenty,that is the down fall to growing in pots,managing cation exchange is so critical but doing it in a few gallons of soil is almost impossible till you get about 4 months into a grow were you can tell,i dont even no how to regulate that in small containers and such,soil test comes with a break down for my big garden and hell lot easier to manage,im looking for the sweet spot of perfect but not go over to cause drainage problems if you dig,one thing for sure coco is lot quicker but my old ass cant get down that hill to water every day,but it can double your yield outside if you stay on top of it,a green house with emmiter coming from the ceiling would be nice but a lot of oppritunity for the favorite powder mildew

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if your gonna go with no organic amendments get coco specific nutes.even if its washed good of salts it may need to be buffered with cal
from all i have bought i would rinse the shit out of it anyway just saying,i got a brick of canna one time i swear i ran 50 gal water threw that shit before it read same as going in,to much work

newh

newh

from all i have bought i would rinse the shit out of it anyway just saying,i got a brick of canna one time i swear i ran 50 gal water threw that shit before it read same as going in,to much work
Ive only ever used Canna or Royal Gold coco,never rinsed either without issues,The ppms you were getting from the Canna brick was from the buffer agent I bet. they wash it with calcium carbonate i think but i could be wrong it could be calcium something else lol, it says on their website.the royal gold was good too but the store i used to get it from closed,now i get the canna bricks from amazon

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

SI, already ordered. Thinking of putting up a 30gal water tank with auto watering. I hope to at least do 6 in coco/perlite/nutes just to see what all this is about. Maybe even try a hempy grow after. Interesting. Keeps my brain churning.

newh

newh

SI, already ordered. Thinking of putting up a 30gal water tank with auto watering. I hope to at least do 6 in coco/perlite/nutes just to see what all this is about. Maybe even try a hempy grow after. Interesting. Keeps my brain churning.
Ive done coco hempy it works pretty good.I did 2 bucket hempy, bottom bucket has 1 hole an inch or so up top bucket gets plenty of half inch holes in the bottom for roots to drop thru

2015 03 12 191238
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Oh yeah, ran pretty clean but I'll flush it all before using. Runoff pH change from 6.4 to 6.2. We'll see what the nutes do to it. Got a hardness meter on the way as well, old one isn't working. Spend more money they said. It will be fun they said. Okay, I admit it, it is fun.šŸ˜œ

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
All the coco comes from pretty much 1 or 2 sources no matter what is on the bag or package. Just depends on how much they process it hence the price you pay per bag/brick. I would just rinse the cheaper stuff no matter what since the reason its cheap is the lack of processing.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Hell, I found so e compressed bricks at Walmart for 6 bucks to give it a try. Used that, vermiculite, work castings and compost for a variety of peppers ( about 25) and herbs for the kitchen. The stuff was a little salty, but I washed and rinsed it and those peppers are booming. The Mad Hatter and Red Chilies have over 40 fruits each. Pretty cool and a great bang for the buck.

I figured I was going to run my first grow in nearly 30 years, but in coco, and it would be good practice. Plus it's delicious.

Of course I'm not using that coco for this run, Nor did I use any compost, work castings or vermiculite. Cannacoco and perlite seems to be working great. It's labor intensive, but like just about everyone here, it's a labor of love.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

All the coco comes from pretty much 1 or 2 sources no matter what is on the bag or package. Just depends on how much they process it hence the price you pay per bag/brick. I would just rinse the cheaper stuff no matter what since the reason its cheap is the lack of processing.

From 2ppm TDS to 300+. Yeah, I think I'll rinse this real well.

Ive only ever used Canna or Royal Gold coco,never rinsed either without issues,The ppms you were getting from the Canna brick was from the buffer agent I bet. they wash it with calcium carbonate i think but i could be wrong it could be calcium something else lol, it says on their website.the royal gold was good too but the store i used to get it from closed,now i get the canna bricks from amazon
I'll go look to see what others are washing it with. Had no idea and I've been reading just about everything I can find.

I've got 5 weeks to get everything done and together and right now Black Jack has my attention and stole my energy. I've got to put my pumpkin seedlings in the ground and I've got Watermellon Pez on deck. Feelin good tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom