Cheap Cfl Closet Grow Light Question

• Thread starter mrskush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrskush

mrskush

Yes it's a bit janky and not pro and not ideal. However, I am shopping around now for better light set up. Reading a bunch on here too getting ideas and reviews. I at least want a better set up for my next grow.
For now, its janky. I have 7 total cfls and one random led lamp. I have a total of 160w of varying watt and spectrum bulbs (mixed it up but have only two cool whites and five soft with 10,090 lumens- haha i added it up!) minus random led lamp which is ikea unknown.
I tried to get most intensity over top and have a little side lighting too (one lamp in pic is missing it's reflector and it usually is where I was standing to take pic). I need and will get more splitters and extender things. like tomorrow! So I can add more bulbs if I get those.
Just wondering if this looks like a newbie can actually get this to the point that I'm smoking it basically as it is or am I dreaming? I don't expect a bushel of huge nugs...Just the pride and joy of smoking my own crop. After dropping more money into my hobby when i upgrade...Then I will hope for big ass nugs! So is this possible? ok-ish? nuts??!

Cheap cfl closet grow light question
Cheap cfl closet grow light question 2
Cheap cfl closet grow light question 3
mrskush

mrskush

By the way, forgot, this is a purple kush clone that is on day 14 of 12/12 light ;)

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

You seem well aware that you're not going to get anything top notch from this setup so, we can skip over that part I guess. What color temperature are the bulbs that you're running now? For vegetative growth you want to be in the 6000 range, typically 6500-6700, for flowering you want to be in the 2000 range, typically 2500-2700.
Anyway, to have any real success you'll need some bulbs in the flowering color temperature range if you don't already have them, from the pics I'd say it kinda looks like you do.
You can absolutely produce some smokable bud, like you already know, you'll have to up your game to get some quality bud but, keep those cfl's close, keep some good airflow going, and feed it once in awhile and you'll be smoking before too long.
Good luck with her, she looks healthy enough, should be fine.

mrskush

mrskush

Thanks for input :) I needed someone with some knowledge to calm my nerves! Yeah i forgot to say I am using three 2700k and two 3500k bulbs. Also, kept two 5000k around as i heard it can help keep it short and squat-y.
This all came about without much planning or forethought in the beginning (haha, stoners here) but for someone who needed a hobby and loves reading and learning, this has been great! I want to see this one threw even in this silly way because we've made it this far!!

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

We all start a little differently but, most of us start off pretty small and work our way into something more and we never stop learning about it. Most people find pretty quickly that just growing it can be rather addictive. It's quite an enjoyable pastime.

Bannacis

Bannacis

you can get some decent results from cfls. it's not always about wattage (but it helps). A good spectrum is ideal and a mix of bulbs is good idea, so your doing good.
Now for your upgrade, consider how your temps and all are with this current set up.
Upping your gear is going to up your temps and fresh air needs. figure if you want to go Larger CFLs, T5s, led, HPS/MH, plasma, CMH ceramic metal halide, LEC light emitting ceramic.

mrskush

mrskush

Temps so far so good, 68-70 at night. 73-74 during day. I think if I upgrade it'll be still small grow set up. I've heard 150w hps are good small grow upgrade and not too hot. any thoughts on those?

Bannacis

Bannacis

You can get decent results from 150wt hps. they are not too bad on heat.
You can get 300watt (150 true watt) LED (Mars hydro) for about same price. the light is more direct underneath.
Not a wide a spread as hps. can't go wrong with either at small scale grow.

mrskush

mrskush

Thanks for the great info! I like real people experience reviews/advice much better than just amazon reviews

SwizzleStix

SwizzleStix

You can get decent results from 150wt hps. they are not too bad on heat.
You can get 300watt (150 true watt) LED (Mars hydro) for about same price. the light is more direct underneath.
Not a wide a spread as hps. can't go wrong with either at small scale grow.

Mars 300 would be perfect imo for this.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Have you seen the ( mommas little helper)? 100w led that I HEAR is small but powerful.... and kills for small grows. I have not used one, so I'm just repeating hear say, so as not mislead.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Looking very nice! They don't bulk up much with those cfl's but, still nice looking buds all the same.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

I was surprised they were this size using my set up haha! can't wait to see results from better lighting
Are those wet or dry in the pic? I was assuming wet. If they're that size dry done under cfl's then I'd really be amazed!

Top Bottom