cheap effective solutions to light leaks?

• Thread starter redshift75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

The name says it all.

I had light leaks in one tent last year that didn't cause issues. But this year I plan to tape the seams on the doors i don't use but im curious what peoples goto methods are?

I was thinking for the canvas just getting a tube of some sort of black shoe goo or other latex silicone type product. Im getting to where stuff will be in a more permanent place so want to ensure i seal up all the spots I won't ever access whether needed or not.

I'm thinking I may seal all the seams with a product since I'm running positive pressure to help scrub the air and control it all for pollen so the seams don't blow out. So really curious what works and what doesn't. TO avoid unnecessary trial and error.

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
I put my 10x10 in a 12x12 room.Sent the old lady to good will and had her buy me 6 used comforters.I nailed those over the windows and doors.The entrance door has one on hooks like a curtain that i remove when watering/tending to my plants.100% blacked out .Think it cost me twenty five bucks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well first I would want only negative pressure through a tent so nothing escapes.

And I rely on black gorilla tape to seal light leaks and also make a flap extension to block the light around the zipper.

R

redshift75

Well first I would want only negative pressure through a tent so nothing escapes.

And I rely on black gorilla tape to seal light leaks and also make a flap extension to block the light around the zipper.
I'm ok if something gets out with positive pressure because every tent is running in a positive pressure environment so it won't suck it in. It's the better route to go in multiple environments within an environment. In theory, the air outside the tents is scrubbed completely every 60 seconds. Through a negative system.

I put my 10x10 in a 12x12 room.Sent the old lady to good will and had her buy me 6 used comforters.I nailed those over the windows and doors. The entrance door has one on hooks like a curtain that i remove when watering/tending to my plants.100% blacked out. Think it cost me twenty-five bucks.
I have 10 tents in a sealed environment problem is I need lights to work and they are all at different schedules to control temp/humidity. and next to one another so to open 1 tent, etc. Also, figure it's best to seal the seams for long-term insurance. But that's pretty much how the setup is the tents are inside. Pretty much all i can think of is basically gorilla tape like @MIMedGrower said and black silicone adhesive for the nylon grow tents.

Seem to be pretty much the stand-out solutions to grow tents. the problem i had last year with gorilla tape was by end of the season it was all coming off and I'm having to replace it again.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have gorilla tape still sealing a window board in the flower room after 5 years. But I do smooth and patch loose stuff as I go here and there.

also I accidentally got the outside weather gorilla tape and it came off really fast. The original sticks real good to everything.

euphoria526

euphoria526

Black gaff tape. Works either inside or outside the tent. Should stick to almost anything

R

redshift75

Could use black gorilla tape on outside or I personally use little pieces of aluminum tape on inside of tent
I didn't even think of that. I have tons of roll of the pressure sensitive adhesive aluminum tape. I even have some stuff that's got mylar vs aluminum foil.

I have gorilla tape still sealing a window board in the flower room after 5 years. But I do smooth and patch loose stuff as I go here and there.

also I accidentally got the outside weather gorilla tape and it came off really fast. The original sticks real good to everything.

I think that is what i grabbed the one that's like the HD and i think it was really misleading cause it didn't feel any better over original at all. I think it just has higher tensile strength when tearing not actual adhesion. Duct tape was kind of same thing it started to fall off pretty quick. But i buy the cheap stuff so that could be it as wellfor that. Im going to grab a roll of straight gorilla tape and the trex tape i think to try.

Black gaff tape. Works either inside or outside the tent. Should stick to almost anything
I think i have some i can try maybe see how it compares to Duct tape or gorilla tape.

Top Bottom