cheap organic soils like gardner & bloom?

• Thread starter slausongardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
slausongardens

slausongardens

ive always used ocean forest but reading revs articles in skunk magazine he recomended a cheap soil from your local nursery called gardner & bloom. i went out and got some which was the regular red bad, they also have a blue bag that i think has bennies in it. it has everything in it like bat guano, peat moss, worm castings, fir bark, etc and it feels real nice, ill see how it goes.

have you guys tried this alternative? if youre growing a lot of plants with large pots this will definitely save a lot of money cuz its anywhere between 8 to 12 bucks a big bag.

and while looking for this brand more i came across another brand called master nursery that seems like the same thing (cool package though lol) i got the bumper crop one cuz it had the mycorrizae in it.

i guess ill see how it turns out, just letting more people know about it and trying to read about others experiences with it.

thanks.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Some organic soil mixes are really good. I use garden soil from Armstrong Garden center. It's reasonably priced but doesn't have much perlite in it. I actually started using it and then started to recycle it so I don't really buy much anymore. I add myco and perlite to the used soil and let worms eat all the old roots. Add some coco coir and bam, lots of airy soil with tons of nutrients and bennies.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
i like cheap soil

i use FF OF for small pots
But for filling beds I use this along with lots pearlite and my own composted soil

kellogg-patio-plus.jpg

Its got bat poop and other good stuff too.
icon11.gif

Edit to add; Its 5 bucks a bag at lowes

C

cannabull

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if you use a soil like that can you make it all the way through a cycle with just plain water?

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

You should supplement with some nutrients along the way through flower to about two or three weeks before you pull your plants. You could just use water but your plants may not meet their potential (low yield, low quality). A lot of nutrients in the soil are used up while the plant is growing (in veg), there are exceptions but if your just gonna use soil, add nutrients.

Danoid

Danoid

Lately I have been using
organic in the brown bag and I love it. Once I get all my goodies added to it I can not tell a difference. They also make an excellent seafood compost. Good Luck

T

TreFarmer

G&D is a bit hot for seedlings IME... BUT WORKS REALLY WELL!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have never been able to bring myself to spend $15+ for a fucking bag of soil. I've been using G&B FOR YEARS. Love it! Quit wasting your money on fucking Fox Farms.
***Edited to add*** I do use Fox Farms Big Bloom, so I'll spend the money on that.

I use this stuff that Ken's showing as a mulch, FANTASTIC mulch! Awful 'soil' for me. I'm delicate, and I get splinters from it.
i use FF OF for small pots
But for filling beds I use this along with lots pearlite and my own composted soil

kellogg-patio-plus.jpg

Its got bat poop and other good stuff too.
icon11.gif

Edit to add; Its 5 bucks a bag at lowes

B

Buddy Hemphill

I got homies that BLOW SHIT UP outside with the kellogs soil/mulch and hittin it heavy with perlite.

I mean one buddy had one in a planter in the front of his house as an afterthought almost....It finished out (the bigass Mr Nice pheno) the size of ....the left side of his house...lol....

blew a Jacks Cleaner in the backyard up the same way...

Age Old, LKarma and tap water...

just hooked a drip to a hydrant timer(10 dollar) for 15 min twice daily.

Those two were silly big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom