Check my math, please. First baby steps

• Thread starter Shadowfax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shadowfax

2x2x5 grow tent, —viper spectra xs1000,
Frog and ocean soil, 4 Germinating Northern Lights Skunk fast grow seeds, have 3 - 7 gallon grow bags( mistake) and lots of learning to do.
Germinating now. Also have nice composted soil that had earthworms with a light sprinkle of osmocote for vegetables. Can use?
When germed, what soil/mix, size container (solo cup for starting) — thanks.
My thought is sea of green in my 2x2 — and get enough to last me a couple of years. Can do a micro sea of green with lst/scrog?
Thanks.

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

2x2 is too small to try and do sea of green style growing. Also you don't plan on using the 7 gallon bags do you? If you're looking to go withh a higher plant count I would honestly just skip veg completely and fit as many plants in there as you can in 1 gallon pots or something like that. Also if you're stuck on that brand and that light I would definitely spend the extra $30 and get the XS1500 instead which is 250 watts. You're getting more than double the wattage for only $30 and you'll see much better results in flower. 120 watts is no where near enough for flowering. But again that's just my opinion bro

S

Shadowfax

my goal is to grow once per year and smoke it til the next year rolls around . Have 4 seedlings now. if gonna grow under the xs 1000(have no choice at present to change)--four plants...what size container? no nutes needed for 3-4 weeks right? have the four seedlings in solo cups now, not looking for pounds, 2-3 ounces will more than do a year for me. appreciate any advice
if 2x2 is space, what size and type of containers for my 4 girls?

S

Shadowfax

and would love to know some inexpensive nutrients that will help me acheive 2-3 ounces total, for annual medicinal use.

S

Shadowfax

would like to be able to harvest by late October---thanks for any tips or advice

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hi Shasowfax and welcome.

Please take a look at the link in my sig, in there is a link to "Ballin on a Budget". You may want to give that a read.

growsince79

growsince79

2x2 is too small to try and do sea of green style growing. Also you don't plan on using the 7 gallon bags do you? If you're looking to go withh a higher plant count I would honestly just skip veg completely and fit as many plants in there as you can in 1 gallon pots or something like that. Also if you're stuck on that brand and that light I would definitely spend the extra $30 and get the XS1500 instead which is 250 watts. You're getting more than double the wattage for only $30 and you'll see much better results in flower. 120 watts is no where near enough for flowering. But again that's just my opinion bro
I disagree with almost everything you said. 2 x 2 with a good 120w led can make huge buds and is perfect for a little sog. With the right clone, and a perfect grow, I think 300g is possible. 250w is way too much light; 150w max imo. This is a nice little set up that can help make it happen.

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

I disagree with almost everything you said. 2 x 2 with a good 120w led can make huge buds and is perfect for a little sog. With the right clone, and a perfect grow, I think 300g is possible. 250w is way too much light; 150w max imo. This is a nice little set up that can help make it happen.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing to and what you consider "huge buds". 120 watts for 4 square feet is at the minimum side of what is recommended for LED's (30 watts per square ft). That's equivalent to running 480 watts per 4x4 area which TO ME is on the low side for flower and won't produce big yields at all when comparing to the current lights used today to flower a 4x4/5x5. But again that's just me and my opinion like I said. It really is up to how one looks at things and what they're used to. I veg with 480 watts and flower with 640 watts per 4x4 area and to me that is still right in the middle/low high for flower which is why I'm currently upgrading. Either way I wasn't criticizing his setup or anything and he'll be able to produce some good flower for personal use no problem. I was just giving my opinion on how I like to do things and how I would do it if it were myself. I also try to get the most out of things and go as big as possible. I also didn't realize he already had the light which is why I suggested spending the extra $30 for the larger light with double the wattage. 240 watts puts him around 60 per square ft which yes, it is over the recommended wattage, but at the same time it's always better to go bigger and dim it down than go smaller and always have it at 100%. Less wear and tear on the light, doesn't get as hot, better performance and it's gonna last longer. All just my opinions though bro!

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

my goal is to grow once per year and smoke it til the next year rolls around . Have 4 seedlings now. if gonna grow under the xs 1000(have no choice at present to change)--four plants...what size container? no nutes needed for 3-4 weeks right? have the four seedlings in solo cups now, not looking for pounds, 2-3 ounces will more than do a year for me. appreciate any advice
if 2x2 is space, what size and type of containers for my 4 girls?

Since you're only growing the 4 plants this time around how long do you plan to veg? I have a hydro setup, but I use 2 gallon coco bags all the way though and veg for 3 to 5 weeks depending on strain. So I always base the size of my medium/pot off how long I wanna veg and how big of plants I wanna grow. So depending on what you wanna do I would say either way you can't go wrong with 2 or 3 gallon pots.

Last edited:
S

Shadowfax

Since you're only growing the 4 plants this time around how long do you plan to veg? I have a hydro setup, but I use 2 gallon coco bags all the way though and veg for 3 to 5 weeks depending on strain. So I always base the size of my medium/pot off how long I wanna veg and how big of plants I wanna grow. So depending on what you wanna do I would say either way you can't go wrong with 2 or 3 gallon pots.

Thanks, I went for inexpensive/decent/smallest-footprint on this micro grow-

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Personally I'm not a fan of those ittie bitty tents and wouldn't consider using anything less than a 2' x 4'. I understand that the OP is trying to work within a small budget ... which would mean soil or coco for the medium. However, for me a 2 x 2 would be good for only 1 plant. Plants need space to grow and although you can start out under 12/12 lighting, it still isn't much space to fill. Sea of Green in a tent that size would work best with clones.

@Shadowfax If it's not too late to reconsider a few things, I think you'd be happier with your results in the 2 x 4 I suggested and about 240-250 watts of LED grow lights. With a little bit of experience a lb a grow is a do-able in a tent that size. You'll be able to grow 4 small plants in it where I personally wouldn't even try to put that many in a 2 x 2.

But lets put it in perspective ... I usually run 4 -6 plants in a 5 x 5 space. Others have done very well in smaller tents.

As for the lighting, 30 watts per square foot is adequate. More isn't always better. LED lights can be very intense. It's not hard to give the plants more light than they need. Intensity burns can be subtle and not noticed until damage is done.

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

Personally I'm not a fan of those ittie bitty tents and wouldn't consider using anything less than a 2' x 4'. I understand that the OP is trying to work within a small budget ... which would mean soil or coco for the medium. However, for me a 2 x 2 would be good for only 1 plant. Plants need space to grow and although you can start out under 12/12 lighting, it still isn't much space to fill. Sea of Green in a tent that size would work best with clones.

@Shadowfax If it's not too late to reconsider a few things, I think you'd be happier with your results in the 2 x 4 I suggested and about 240-250 watts of LED grow lights. With a little bit of experience a lb a grow is a do-able in a tent that size. You'll be able to grow 4 small plants in it where I personally wouldn't even try to put that many in a 2 x 2.

But lets put it in perspective ... I usually run 4 -6 plants in a 5 x 5 space. Others have done very well in smaller tents.

As for the lighting, 30 watts per square foot is adequate. More isn't always better. LED lights can be very intense. It's not hard to give the plants more light than they need. Intensity burns can be subtle and not noticed until damage is done.

I agree, you should be able to pull a pound using the setup he recommended. I'm also not a fan of the smaller tents either I just thought that's what you already had. So have you not purchased a tent yet? I also meant to say 1 to 2 gallon pots in my other post not 2 to 3. For sea of green he said the same thing I did also, just go straight from clones and fit as many in there as you can. Since you only have 4 plants this time around though I would think about vegging them out and throwing a trellis net up and try to pull the most you can out of them. With a decent veg time and some LST with a trellis you should see some good numbers.

S

Shadowfax

I agree, you should be able to pull a pound using the setup he recommended. I'm also not a fan of the smaller tents either I just thought that's what you already had. So have you not purchased a tent yet? I also meant to say 1 to 2 gallon pots in my other post not 2 to 3. For sea of green he said the same thing I did also, just go straight from clones and fit as many in there as you can. Since you only have 4 plants this time around though I would think about vegging them out and throwing a trellis net up and try to pull the most you can out of them. With a decent veg time and some LST with a trellis you should see some good numbers.
Have a 2x2x60 ebay one, seems nice and I was smallest footprint. The tent and light are my ride or die now. lol

Thanks for your responses , growsince79, Se7en07_Exotics, MIGrandpaUSA and Moe.

I love to learn. And, sadly, but like for most of us, I am always limited by budget which is usually blown through as I "immerse" in a new pursuit, and inevitably find that I also need that or this.

"How much?", she asks. "Three hundred, no more than that...." (Always the Optimist when it comes to things like that) "Did you spend a grand on that ?!" "A GRAND???, No way...was only 979.59, see..."

I went for inexpensive/decent/smallest-footprint on this micro grow- and I also like to garden--plants are pretty awesome. I am thinking I can grow or start flowers and veggies --I'm sure you can grow most things. Except perhaps for the renowned Jerusalem Tulip (?) that Greg Focker gives Jack in the Meet The Parents.

As far as this first one, the "4 Girls" look okay? To my untrained eye they look leggy, which would mean increasing power of my light attenuator on the xs 1000 (which was $100) ---but to me it brings up an important point/question-- inputs--let's call water, nutes, light, temp and humidity these things, inputs ALWAYS (or Almost ALWAYS) have a delay to their EFFECTS--be they good, or bad-- and therefore Patience is key, right?

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

Have a 2x2x60 ebay one, seems nice and I was smallest footprint.

Ok that's what I thought and you have the light already too? I didn't know if you did or didn't that's why I was making those suggestions before. But either way you'll pull flower out of whatever setup you go with, you just gotta figure out which approach you wanna take. Are you gonna try and go for a sea of green type grow and just fit as many clones in there as you can and skip veg or are you gonna grow 2-4 plants and veg them out? Right now since you already have the 4 seedlings going you need to grab whatever type of pots/bags you're gonna use and figure out if you wanna veg or not which I definitely would since you only have the 4. You're just cutting yourself short if you don't veg in my opinioin

S

Shadowfax

Have a 2x2x60 ebay one, seems nice and I was smallest footprint.
based on Day 1 as being August 8--would like to harvest no later that October 30----can we achieve this mad and daring goal? I need 2 ounces approx

S

Shadowfax

I guess it depends on what you're comparing to and what you consider "huge buds". 120 watts for 4 square feet is at the minimum side of what is recommended for LED's (30 watts per square ft). That's equivalent to running 480 watts per 4x4 area which TO ME is on the low side for flower and won't produce big yields at all when comparing to the current lights used today to flower a 4x4/5x5. But again that's just me and my opinion like I said. It really is up to how one looks at things and what they're used to. I veg with 480 watts and flower with 640 watts per 4x4 area and to me that is still right in the middle/low high for flower which is why I'm currently upgrading. Either way I wasn't criticizing his setup or anything and he'll be able to produce some good flower for personal use no problem. I was just giving my opinion on how I like to do things and how I would do it if it were myself. I also try to get the most out of things and go as big as possible. I also didn't realize he already had the light which is why I suggested spending the extra $30 for the larger light with double the wattage. 240 watts puts him around 60 per square ft which yes, it is over the recommended wattage, but at the same time it's always better to go bigger and dim it down than go smaller and always have it at 100%. Less wear and tear on the light, doesn't get as hot, better performance and it's gonna last longer. All just my opinions though bro!
Could I buy an additional cheap light to add at flowering — like a I’ve light/bulb? To add, cheaply , to the existing light—- what can a single fluorescent bring to the flower party?

Se7en07_Exotics

Se7en07_Exotics

based on Day 1 as being August 8--would like to harvest no later that October 30----can we achieve this mad and daring goal? I need 2 ounces approx

That gives you a little under 12 weeks, that is for sure doable. I would say veg them out for 3 weeks or so and that'll give you around 9 weeks to flower. Depending on the strain that should be a good amount of flower time.
Could I buy an additional cheap light to add at flowering — like a I’ve light/bulb? To add, cheaply , to the existing light—- what can a single fluorescent bring to the flower party?

You could definitely do that, fluorescent's aren't really gonna do much for you in flower especially with what size you can fit in your tent. I would just get on Amazon if you want a budget light and depending on what you wanna spend get another light similar to yours. You can find a smaller LED for around $30 to $40...

Something like this...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Have a 2x2x60 ebay one, seems nice and I was smallest footprint. The tent and light are my ride or die now. lol

Thanks for your responses , growsince79, Se7en07_Exotics, MIGrandpaUSA and Moe.

I love to learn. And, sadly, but like for most of us, I am always limited by budget which is usually blown through as I "immerse" in a new pursuit, and inevitably find that I also need that or this.

"How much?", she asks. "Three hundred, no more than that...." (Always the Optimist when it comes to things like that) "Did you spend a grand on that ?!" "A GRAND???, No way...was only 979.59, see..."

I went for inexpensive/decent/smallest-footprint on this micro grow- and I also like to garden--plants are pretty awesome. I am thinking I can grow or start flowers and veggies --I'm sure you can grow most things. Except perhaps for the renowned Jerusalem Tulip (?) that Greg Focker gives Jack in the Meet The Parents.

As far as this first one, the "4 Girls" look okay? To my untrained eye they look leggy, which would mean increasing power of my light attenuator on the xs 1000 (which was $100) ---but to me it brings up an important point/question-- inputs--let's call water, nutes, light, temp and humidity these things, inputs ALWAYS (or Almost ALWAYS) have a delay to their EFFECTS--be they good, or bad-- and therefore Patience is key, right?
Not always will an increase in light intensity benefit you. If you add more light in the form of an additional "flower" light, the stretchiness isn't likely to improve. It's the high level of red in the spectrum that causes that. Fortunately there's a very simple and inexpensive fix ... add blue light. Something along the line of 6000k-6500k will help keep them stocky. I use 4' LED tube style shop lights. The color temperature of the light makes a big difference.

growsince79

growsince79

I don't think 1lb will fit in a 2 x 2. I can't even visualize that. 4oz/sqft I would have to call bs on that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom