Checking the plant's genders - advice appreciated

• Thread starter MrNMrsBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrNMrsBuds

MrNMrsBuds

G'day,

They are 7 weeks, I keep reading about having to move the males but can't find any info on how to know when it's "too late"? This is our very first grow so still figuring things out (as we go). They are grown from unknown bagseed which then got mixed up so we can't tell the strains - one is definitely bubblegum but I guess we won't be able to determine that until flower/harvest. They are grown indoors in a tent, we have 7 plants total but these are the biggest/with the most "balls & teardrop shapes".

Our third biggest isn't showing any gender signs as yet (but our #4 & #5 biggest are showing signs, is this a bad sign for #3?).

We believe #1 is a female - there are no "round balls", it's our tallest plant so doesn't seem as "bushy" as the leaves have a bit more room, Has a thinner stalk, there are what appears to be small white hairs (pistils) coming from the teardrop shapes all over the plant.

#2 we think is male, the plant is shorter so appears slightly bushier but it has round balls at all the joints that have not gone teardrop shaped, thicker stalk (appears to have more ridges perhaps), no white hairs present from the ball shapes.

From these descriptions/pics do you think we have waited long enough to determine #2 is male?

Should we get it out right NOW or wait a few more days to be sure no white hairs pop out?

Also the height/bushiness is what concerns me as I'd thought I'd read that males would be taller and less bushy so it just has me second guessing since ours seem the opposite of that (though it could just be that one is growing better/bigger due to various things), so just wanted some more knowledgeable/experienced opinions to be sure before we evict any plants from the tent.

Cheers,
Mrs Buds

Checking the plants genders   advice appreciated
Checking the plants genders   advice appreciated 2
DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

I believe you are correct on 1 female & 2 male, remove males before flowering stage for sure. Occassionally 1 will throw out pollen before flower but as long as they are gone before you flip lights to flower cycle & females start producing buds you should be safe

MrNMrsBuds

MrNMrsBuds

Cheers mate, have pulled out the 3 we thought were males or hermaphrodites, we have 2 definite females (unfortunately one was double fertilised by mistake but seems to be bouncing back). Figured it'd be better to get them out now than risk the females, we have feminised seeds on the way so have a back up for if we make a mistake that stuffs our first grow. We have 2 other plants that were restricted in pot size so are stunted and not showing their gender yet, we are inspecting them daily as they are growing faster now in the bigger pots, will be sure to gender them before switching lights for flower cycle.

Top Bottom