Chill King problems

• Thread starter sourkush91
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sourkush91

I recently just bought a 2hp ck. this is my first run with this chiller and today i herd a bad noise coming from the chiller... Looked inside and the fan is in pieces inside the chiller... Any suggestions? Im going to call hydrofarm tomorrow and see what they say... if i wasnt in the last week of flower this could of ruined my whole operation... NOT HAPPY:sign0065:

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey man, sorry to hear that. HI can send you a replacement fan for it and its not to hard to replace it. Unfortunately the plastic fan is the achilles heal of a quiet chiller. Plastic fans are much quiter and produce more BTU than a metal fan because they can be made more areodynamically. BUT on the other hand they can also break. Is it possible something got sucked inside and broke the fan? They typically don't come apart for no reason but it is possible.

BTW they have replacement fans in metal and in plastic. If you get the metal fan you'll never have to worry about it breaking again....but you'll loose a 1-2k BTU and it will be a little noisier. Just call HI to get it handled.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
Also something important to mention. If you ever have your chiller go down you can always go drain to waste on your cooling system until your chiller is repaired. Obvioulsy this isn't the best scenario but can work well in a pinch.

S

sourkush91

Ok i will call and have it taken care of today... I just kept the lights off last night.. I only have 3 days of flushing left... I might try to mount a big max fan on the chiller for the night or next few days till i can get a replacement

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
HI has instructions on putting in the fan if that would help, just hit up [email protected] and he will send it over. Using a max-fan temporairly is a great idea. Just take off the other fan of course so that it doesn't damage anything and then you can either put the max fan inside blowing out...or outside blowing in. Either way it should get you by. You can even make a temporary cardboard plenum on the back of the chiller, just tape it together and cut a hole just big enough for the fan to blow inside.

I have mixed emotions about the plastic fans, I recently had an eco plus commercial 1 hp break a fan. What really sucked is that there is no replacement offered. Did you get a metal replacement or a plastic fan again? They covered it under warranty right?

S

sourkush91

The fan was covered under warranty so i went ahead and got a metal fan considering i have such an oversized chiller... i will send him a email... thanks alot for the link.. i hope its easy to take apart and install the fan... Still kinda pissed i have to do this considering i spent a couple grand on this chiller and didnt even get a full run out of it before i have to tare it apart and replace internal parts.... warranty or not... Guess its part of the hobby or job lol what ever you consider it...

M

MTgrower

This problem is not uncommon, especially in areas where the temps get below freezing. My 2HP chillking fan shattered exactly like yours, as did a number of other units sold through what was formerly The Green Light Garden and Brew Supply in Missoula, MT.

We all had ours replaced with metal fans under warranty, but they should have come with metal fans to begin with. You should also add the cold weather package they recommend if it gets below freezing where you live.

The fan was easy enough to install. When it busted, I actually switched to a run to waste set up, and haven't used the chiller since.

S

sourkush91

What all does the cold weather package consist of??? im only 2 days from harvest so i got lucky..

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
This problem is not uncommon, especially in areas where the temps get below freezing. My 2HP chillking fan shattered exactly like yours, as did a number of other units sold through what was formerly The Green Light Garden and Brew Supply in Missoula, MT.

We all had ours replaced with metal fans under warranty, but they should have come with metal fans to begin with. You should also add the cold weather package they recommend if it gets below freezing where you live.

The fan was easy enough to install. When it busted, I actually switched to a run to waste set up, and haven't used the chiller since.

I agree, I think that cold weather is a factor too. When things get cold, especially plastic, it gets brittle. I also agree that the metal fan should be installed from the factory, or at least it should be an option for people so they can decide to take the risk or not. I suggested this to HI and they are going to offer this upgrade to all customers when ordering moving forward. They had already been considering doing this, I think that this thread sealed the deal for them. I didn't get the impression they were being cheap by not installing, they feel like the plastic fan has its advantages over the metal in efficiency and noise level and works fine for most people. I think that MT nailed it about the cold weather, I've personally never had a problem with a fan on one of those units but its hot as a MFker here. Really this is the only complaint that I've ever heard about them so I'm glad they are responding.

Cold weather kit has a compressor heater, if you are using it indoors don't worry about it. If you plan to use outdoors in below freezing conditions they are nice to have. You can install yourself pretty easily if you decide that you want one. Not too expensive either.

S

sourkush91

cool thanks chillville.... Now using my chillking to heat my billiard room lol works well and saves me money so win win i guess... Fan should be here tomorrow ill let you know how the changeout goes

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hmmm... suddenly I'm glad I brought my chillking inside for the winter!

How much is a metal fan if I find myself in need of one? How fast will it get to me?

Chillville, feel free to PM if you want. To be clear, I'm not the original owner of this chiller, and I have no idea how much usage it's seen. My suspicion is that it didn't have a lot of hours on it.

Sourkush, you're heating your billiard room, I'm heating MY WHOLE HOUSE. I'm not coming out ahead by any means, but saving $200 a month on my gas bill definitely helps!

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
They told me the metal fan upgrade would be $50 when the chiller is new, but that includes labor to install. So I would guess the fans would be less than that, plus shipping.

You guys are probably not going to believe this but I'm still running my a/c!

Sourkush did you use the max-fan for the short term? How did that work? Do you have any pics? I'm sure that you will be able to change it out with no problems but if I can help LMK.

S

sourkush91

Due to these cold ass temps i have my chiller inside a garage in a separate room from my pool table and it pretty heats up the hole attic and makes my pool room toasty... My chiller was under warranty and was shipped second day air.... not sure how much they would charge if if wasnt covered by warranty.... Chillville gave me a great email from a guy a HI and the sent me step by step instructions to change out the fan with pics and all... Shouldnt take me more than 45 mins to take it apart and put it back together with the new fan... I didnt use the max fan like i planned i just dimmed my lights for the last few days and turned them on 10 hours... Tonight it the big sissor night so wish me luck...

ttystikk

ttystikk

Due to these cold ass temps i have my chiller inside a garage in a separate room from my pool table and it pretty heats up the hole attic and makes my pool room toasty... My chiller was under warranty and was shipped second day air.... not sure how much they would charge if if wasnt covered by warranty.... Chillville gave me a great email from a guy a HI and the sent me step by step instructions to change out the fan with pics and all... Shouldnt take me more than 45 mins to take it apart and put it back together with the new fan... I didnt use the max fan like i planned i just dimmed my lights for the last few days and turned them on 10 hours... Tonight it the big sissor night so wish me luck...

Good luck brother, and good nugs- peace!

ttystikk

ttystikk

They told me the metal fan upgrade would be $50 when the chiller is new, but that includes labor to install. So I would guess the fans would be less than that, plus shipping.

Okay, that gives me the ballpark figure I need for now, thanks.

You guys are probably not going to believe this but I'm still running my a/c!

Did I say you live in hell? I think I said that, yeah... Just to make you jealous as all getout, tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the mid 60s- so I can choose between playing golf on the plains, driving my sportscar on clean twisty roads, or go skiing. Or, all three in the same day... Colorado sucks. Don't come here. :tongueout

Sourkush did you use the max-fan for the short term? How did that work? Do you have any pics? I'm sure that you will be able to change it out with no problems but if I can help LMK.

I'm interested in how smoothly the repair went, as well- if only for peace of mind's sake at this point, cuz my chiller is running like a charm, knock wood.

S

sourkush91

Finally done with the trim and the 15 hours of lovely hell...Biggest yeild yet im stoked... gonna relax for a few and go clean out the cc and take the chiller apart and get the broken fan off and ready for the new fan.... fan didnt come today but will arrive tomorrow... Ill let you kow how the change out goes...

S

sourkush91

Just an update on the Chillking fan installation... Went super easy... Took me about 20 mins total by myself... When my fan got here the instructions were in the box step by step... Went alot smoother than i expected

Top Bottom