Chiller Question

• Thread starter yayarea
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yayarea

I just bought a 1/2 hp active aqua (hydrofarm) chiller and I was told by a hydrofarm tech to use a pump between 250-750gph. He said if I used a 1200gph pump that it would be flowing to fast through the chiller to properly cool down the nutrients.

Is there a reason why DD recommends a 1200gph pump? I was thinking if I used to small of a pump I could never chill all the gallons of nutes in my system.

I am running 6 homedepot tubs and a 100 gallon res so maybe 150 to 175gallons total. What are your thoughts?

O

OregonMeds

DD didn't use your brand chiller. Different brands require different flows. Give the chiller what it wants.

If you already have too big of a pump just bleed off some of the water pressure with a t into the res and adjust until it's what you need.

Y

yayarea

the instructions say between 250 and 750 for the 1/2hp chiller, I have a 1/10 chiller different brand and it says to use a 500gph:sign0065:

what would be best?

L

Lost

DD's uses a HUGE chiller, a 1/2 hp I think. I use a 500 gph on my 1/3 hp chiller and it works great. The 500 gph pump is dedicated to my res and picks up and dumps back into the res so the res is always at 66. Good luck :)

O

OregonMeds

the instructions say between 250 and 750 for the 1/2hp chiller, I have a 1/10 chiller different brand and it says to use a 500gph:sign0065:

what would be best?

You have to go with what the manufacturer says. They use different lengths/sizes of tubing in their heat exchangers and that's what determines the flow rate that's ideal not the horsepower rating.

Y

yayarea

thanks for the quick response guys. One other question this room is 12x14 I have 6 1000's I was thinking 6plants but it seems like everyone is going with different distances on center not just 40inches is my room big enough. Also what would be the best way to ask everyone questions, I dont want to start a new thread everytime I have a simple question and clutter up the mpb section.

E

easypleasie

Different flows for different brands/models. I'd get something closer to the 750 gph.

My 1/3 hp JBJ recommends anywhere between 480 and 2400 gph. My 1/2 hp JBJ recommends between 480-800. I had a 1200 gph hooked up through the 1/3 and then to my top feed but it reduced the flow too much. I got a separate pump (700 gph) just for the chiller and things are much better. I think the extra pump really helps with aeration.

Y

yayarea

Im just going to move all my questions to the thread I started long ago in the mpb section I think it was called start to finish. Trying to make setup easy as possible learning from everyones experiences. I set up a mpb veg area and was like why in the hell did I spend money on all these fittings, pumps and everything else and went out and got a 4x4 tray and set that shit up like Easy did super simple and effective.

Y

yayarea

Hey DD can I delete this thread, Im going to just use the theard I started first. thanks!

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

my ecoplus 1/4 hp chiller recommends a pump between 500-1000gph, I'm using a 720gph which is working fine. 250gph seems really small for a 1/2hp, but I would go with the user manual or reps advice, every chiller is different, but perhaps err on the high side. Another chiller question for the mpb gang how are you guys pre-filtering your chillers, inline screens? pump filter bags? or .....?

E

easypleasie

I'm just using the filter that comes with the pump. For my veg setup, I have a filter bag that collects debris where it dumps back into the res.

Top Bottom