Chlorosis issue with my first grow

• Thread starter Occiput
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Occiput

Occiput

Hello, I’m working on my first grow, and I’m having a chlorosis issue that’s getting pretty bad.
It’s currently week four of veg, and I’m pretty happy with the plants so far, other than the issue, and what seems to be some slow growth stemming from it. I’m growing one each of feminized Hindu Kush and Maui Waui from Nirvana seedbank. The pictures are all of the Hindu Kush, but both plants share identical symptoms.

I’m using canna coco (with most of the pith sifted out) at about an 85:15 ratio to perlite in 0.5 gallon pots, fertigated twice a day with about 150ml of nutrient solution. Nutrients are coming from Mega Crop at an EC of 1.3 and a pH of 6.0-6.1. For the past 5 days I’ve been using 0.4EC Calimagic to replace some of the Mega Crop in my fertigations because I suspected that the chlorosis was a result of a magnesium deficiency, but the chlorosis has continued to advance (if only a little). Runoff EC is usually substantially lower than input, somewhere around 0.7-0.9. Runoff pH varies from 6.1-6.4. I’ve been doing an epsom salt foliar spray at both fertigations for the past few days as well.

I’m growing in a 2x4x5 tent with a kingbrite 320w 3000k light, which is now about 18” from the tops of the plants running at 40% power. A few days ago it was about 6” from the tops of the plants, and was at about 35% power, which was definitely too close. The tent usually stays around 80 degrees and 70% humidity during the day, with a drop to about 65-70 degrees at night.

Here’s how the problem started (8/24):

Chlorosis issue with my first grow

And here’s how it currently looks (9/7):

Chlorosis issue with my first grow 2
Chlorosis issue with my first grow 6

There are a few small brown spots like these forming on some of the lower leaves:

Chlorosis issue with my first grow 4

Chlorosis issue with my first grow 5

I’m also growing some peppers in the same tent, and they’re having very similar, albeit much less severe symptoms:

Chlorosis issue with my first grow 3

Any input is much appreciated, I’m hoping to get these things straightened out asap so I can top them and move them to bigger pots.
Thanks

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Hello, I’m working on my first grow, and I’m having a chlorosis issue that’s getting pretty bad.
It’s currently week four of veg, and I’m pretty happy with the plants so far, other than the issue, and what seems to be some slow growth stemming from it. I’m growing one each of feminized Hindu Kush and Maui Waui from Nirvana seedbank. The pictures are all of the Hindu Kush, but both plants share identical symptoms.

Any input is much appreciated, I’m hoping to get these things straightened out asap so I can top them and move them to bigger pots.
Thanks

I've never heard of chlorosis before but grow in coco using autopots. Cal/mag supplements are always part of a grow for me and I notice you mention a mag problem. Could it be as simple as adding some cal/mag supplement?

Occiput

Occiput

I've never heard of chlorosis before but grow in coco using autopots. Cal/mag supplements are always part of a grow for me and I notice you mention a mag problem. Could it be as simple as adding some cal/mag supplement?
I figured it might be a magnesium problem, so I’ve been using calmag at 0.4EC in my nutrient solution for the past six days. The symptoms don’t seem to be getting better, if anything they’re slightly worse. Maybe the plants just need even more calmag? They both had slight calcium deficiencies that I was able to fix with a calmag foliar spray at the start of the grow, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if the problem was popping up again.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

magnesium sulphate 1-2 g per gallon...
You are using bright leds and megacrop need added magnesium for led grows...
i used megacrop aswell adding epsom salts...good stuff!

Occiput

Occiput

magnesium sulphate 1-2 g per gallon...
You are using bright leds and megacrop need added magnesium for led grows...
i used megacrop aswell adding epsom salts...good stuff!
Interesting, I didn’t know that about megacrop and magnesium. Would you recommend stopping with the calmag and just doing the epsom salts and megacrop since I don’t seem to have a calcium deficiency? And do you add the salts to the water before or after you add megacrop?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Interesting, I didn’t know that about megacrop and magnesium. Would you recommend stopping with the calmag and just doing the epsom salts and megacrop since I don’t seem to have a calcium deficiency? And do you add the salts to the water before or after you add megacrop?
Mix your megacrop then add 1 gram per gallon of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)

Back that light up to 30" at 40% which is your main issue here.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Would you recommend stopping with the calmag and just doing the epsom salts and megacrop since I don’t seem to have a calcium deficiency? And do you add the salts to the water before or after you add megacrop?
Man, i was using generous amount of calmag togheter with the epsoms at 1g per gallon then bumped to 2 g per gallon and i finally saw disappear that intervenial clorosis....but i was running also Co2...
Calcium is always needed dont worry, maybe just make sure the N levels dont skyrocket...check for clawings
Not sure if correct but i was dissolving first megacrop, then epsoms and then calmag....

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

If you've got 320w light that close at that power level you are driving the plants very hard for their age, and potentially forcing them into nutrient deficiency through creating demand. About 30-36" for seedlings. Get a good PAR meter for your phone - if you have a recent model iPhone and download Photone, you now own a light meter that is as effective as you will ever need for your purposes. My friendly tip is there's no need to guess with your lights, just measure. Remember that little plants are a bit more sensitive so lower your lights slowly thru the grow, but above all measure actual PPFD at canopy height. You should still be at about 15-18 DLI on an 18 hour schedule from my limited knowledge, which will have you somewhere around 350 PPFD I think? This will stop forcing your plants to demand more nutes than you can give and should resolve it. I had the exact same on my grow and this was the issue. Good luck bro!

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

These are on day 9 of flower and my 300W LEDs are at 17", and only turned up to 50% and it's plenty for this part of flower. So I imagine anything close to this level of radiation is tricky for your little ladies😉

DEE80F18 20EB 48A3 A338 96FCD446F584
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man, i was using generous amount of calmag togheter with the epsoms at 1g per gallon then bumped to 2 g per gallon and i finally saw disappear that intervenial clorosis....but i was running also Co2...
Calcium is always needed dont worry, maybe just make sure the N levels dont skyrocket...check for clawings
Not sure if correct but i was dissolving first megacrop, then epsoms and then calmag....
With co2 you need to reduce humidity and increase ppm. What happens is the co2 increase the efficiency of photosynthesis by the plant so in turn it reduces transpirations rates... usually it's a transpiration thing when you run into especially a calcium issue.

Occiput

Occiput

Mix your megacrop then add 1 gram per gallon of magnesium sulfate (epsom salt)

Back that light up to 30" at 40% which is your main issue here.
I’ll mix in that order, and raise the light up. Thanks for the help.

If you've got 320w light that close at that power level you are driving the plants very hard for their age, and potentially forcing them into nutrient deficiency through creating demand. About 30-36" for seedlings. Get a good PAR meter for your phone - if you have a recent model iPhone and download Photone, you now own a light meter that is as effective as you will ever need for your purposes. My friendly tip is there's no need to guess with your lights, just measure. Remember that little plants are a bit more sensitive so lower your lights slowly thru the grow, but above all measure actual PPFD at canopy height. You should still be at about 15-18 DLI on an 18 hour schedule from my limited knowledge, which will have you somewhere around 350 PPFD I think? This will stop forcing your plants to demand more nutes than you can give and should resolve it. I had the exact same on my grow and this was the issue. Good luck bro!
Very good info, thanks. Can you point me in the direction of any resources where I can learn more about ideal PPFD and DLI for different stages of a grow? I’m looking forward to trying out photone later.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully the plants will straighten out in the next few days once I make the suggested changes.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I’ll mix in that order, and raise the light up. Thanks for the help.

Very good info, thanks. Can you point me in the direction of any resources where I can learn more about ideal PPFD and DLI for different stages of a grow? I’m looking forward to trying out photone later.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully the plants will straighten out in the next few days once I make the suggested changes.
I found this article really helpful, and used the chart as a basic template for lighting curve across veg. Served me pretty well. ☺️

Occiput

Occiput

I found this article really helpful, and used the chart as a basic template for lighting curve across veg. Served me pretty well. ☺️

That was definitely a good read, I’ll adjust my lighting accordingly and see how things go. Thanks for the link.
Could they be ready for transplant to a bigger pot?
In my opinion they’re ready for new pots, the drainage holes on the sides and bottoms of the current pots are full of roots, and they’re drying up a little more than I’d like between waterings. I’m just worried that a repot while they’re suffering from a deficiency might do more harm than good? Or do you think it might benefit them?

Microstraincollector

Microstraincollector

I'd say you don't want them to be root bound before you try to correct any feeding. I'm not a pro by any means but I know root bound plants can be stunted growth wise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom