Citric acid as ph down

• Thread starter bluejay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

can you explain? and citric acid should not be used in a res. Soil is a different story.
I used lime juice religiously in my soil grow ! With varied results! But since being educated on the farm I rarely ph my water anymore ! With what appears to be better results! So far seems redundant
But hydro I know nuthing! Lmao

H

Holygrail

can you explain? and citric acid should not be used in a res. Soil is a different story.
I did explain. Where else do you put it really? You put citric acid in your soil? I'm sure you have a rez even when growing in soil. Can you explain?

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Citric acid is good...but yes...your ph will drift after awhile and need to adjust if using a rez. Sulphuric is way more stable and super cheap.
Yeah I adjusted my plants using apple cider vinegar to around 5.8 by the morning was at 6.5 and that night back at 7 :(

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I did explain. Where else do you put it really? You put citric acid in your soil? I'm sure you have a rez even when growing in soil. Can you explain?
Your talking about cellular respiration... And citric acid is absolutely shit in a res. Why would you even use it?

As for soil... The soil will buffer the ph. That's why it's important to build it properly

What would you like me to explain? Carbonate and bicarbonate act as a buffer and will raise ph the more carbonate and bicarbonate the more acid buffering capacity you have. The type of acid used makes a big difference in terms of ph stability because they break down at different rates. Citric is a pretty weak acid to use in a res.

If you have no carbonate or bicarbonate the ph will be very unstable and the water will be highly influenced by anything that is acidic

Last edited:
needshelpguy

needshelpguy

@Aquaman can I leave my ph at 7 and my nutes will sort it out next feed or is it dangerous having ph of 7 in coco

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Thanks I just mean cos its been floating up to 7 between feeds but when i feed it'll go back to around 6 but will have a day or two at 7 before i re feed should i bring it back down before I feed again?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks I just mean cos its been floating up to 7 between feeds but when i feed it'll go back to around 6 but will have a day or two at 7 before i re feed should i bring it back down before I feed again?
Are we talking a res? Or coco?

If coco how are you getting these ph readings in between feedings if not only from run off?

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

coco im in big pots so talking to the guy at our local grow shop he said feed about 10l so i get run off but will only need to feed about every 3-4 days. Ive got one of those probes yah put into the soil i just leave it in there n take the reads and ph before watering

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

coco im in big pots so talking to the guy at our local grow shop he said feed about 10l so i get run off but will only need to feed about every 3-4 days. Ive got one of those probes yah put into the soil i just leave it in there n take the reads and ph before watering
Ahhh ph swings aren't necessarily bad nutrient availability changes with ph so the plant will be able to get all it's required nutrients. Large ph swings usually mean low carbonate and bicarbonate levels. Are you using RO water by chance?

I honestly wouldn't worry to much about it unless the plants are giving you problems

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Cool thanks for that, yeah they were going a little yellow but now they're thriving so I dont wanna change too much. Nah im not using RO water just tap water comes out bout ph 6-7.
Thanks man appreciate your help

Latest posts

Top Bottom