Clawing tops: please help

• Thread starter HFJud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the rrock

the rrock

Clawing or dropping? Drooping is normal after watering to an extent. But if you water it's saturated then don't water again the water becomes depleted of oxygen and the plant will droop more. That's why you need to water often. It's coco not soil, if your gonna treat it like soil then let it dry right out in order to get oxygen but you will have nutrient issues You either treat it like soil and get soil like results or treat it like coco and get hydro like results. You are sitting in the middle and it's not helping you. . If your gonna use it like soil then just grow in soil. Thats just my opinion. What you do is up to you.
thats why I grow in soil, coco is alot of work and I never got it figured out so I went back to what I was good at

bunkerking

bunkerking

also i wonder if you have the same problem as i did. I looked and couldnt find whats in Mills A&B.

does it have a higher % of ammoniacal nitrogen than nitrates?

HFJud

HFJud

Ok - so as an experiment I went two days without watering...... clawing got worse. Looks like @Aqua Man and @bunkerking were correct. So I will water multiple times per day.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Should see some explosive growth soon. 👾 Likely were getting a salt build up, causing the issues.

HFJud

HFJud

Should see some explosive growth soon. 👾 Likely were getting a salt build up, causing the issues.

I sure hope so. Now, one thing I need to ask - my pots still feel heavy after 2 days of not watering - just moisture retention is pretty good and non concerning? It’s not as heavy as a full watering.. but I’m curious.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Also dont forget. When you are watering the coco. You are not really adding "more nutes"...

You are resetting the media with the optimal ratio/ppm of nutes. More feeds = more time in that perfect zone. Only should burn if the ppm's are too high.

bunkerking

bunkerking

I sure hope so. Now, one thing I need to ask - my pots still feel heavy after 2 days of not watering - just moisture retention is pretty good and non concerning? It’s not as heavy as a full watering.. but I’m curious.

doesnt matter. its not peat or soil. Does all of the water drain out nicely after you feed? Then you are golden.

if you can pick up a pot and drain more water out of it an hour later. That will cause issues. But if its free draining. All is well.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@bunkerking is correct watering often keeps the nutrient levels stable at the ppm you intend to put in. Coco holds moisture well but like I said it's not the water that's the issue it's the lack of oxygen. Fresh nutes help bring that in. Your coco should stay over 90% saturated preferably over 95% so watering often is important. The more often the better the o2 level and faster growth.

HFJud

HFJud

doesnt matter. its not peat or soil. Does all of the water drain out nicely after you feed? Then you are golden.

if you can pick up a pot and drain more water out of it an hour later. That will cause issues. But if its free draining. All is well.

Thanks, now I do have the original transplant of peat/coco/perlite from the 1 gal root ball transplanted in the Coco/perlite.... no concerns, right?

bunkerking

bunkerking

Thanks, now I do have the original transplant of peat/coco/perlite from the 1 gal root ball transplanted in the Coco/perlite.... no concerns, right?

if it was me....

id be super super super gentle and give the root ball a shaking/dusting off. Remove some of the peat, and fill with coco. Feed daily. but i really have no exp with peat. not sure how it handles daily watering. could be fine as is.

HFJud

HFJud

if it was me....

id be super super super gentle and give the root ball a shaking/dusting off. Remove some of the peat, and fill with coco. Feed daily. but i really have no exp with peat. not sure how it handles daily watering. could be fine as is.

I don’t think I’ll be able to fix it as I’ve transplanted 2.5-3 weeks ago. That was my original concern.

bunkerking

bunkerking

@anyone - how does peat handle daily feeding? Just fine?

If so, then you are good. Just will have to wait for someone who has some exp with it.

and what Aqua man said.^^

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here’s some updated leaf pics which leads me to believe under fert/watered

View attachment 919102

View attachment 919103View attachment 919105
Get some air flow on them. room temps 75-80F humidity around 55%. Make sure the water temps are not hot or cold when feeding. Feed 3x a day and give them about a week to bounce back. Feed about 500-600 ppm each feed and get 10-20% is run off. You will find now you water more often it wont take as much.

HFJud

HFJud

Get some air flow on them. room temps 75-80F humidity around 55%. Make sure the water temps are not hot or cold when feeding. Feed 3x a day and give them about a week to bounce back. Feed about 500-600 ppm each feed and get 10-20% is run off. You will find now you water more often it wont take as much.

Thanks man. Humidity is 50% right now and air flow could probably be a bit more. So I may add an extra fan or two.

This has been a learning experience that I didn’t expect 😅

Latest posts

Top Bottom