Clawing tops: please help

• Thread starter HFJud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yeah you should be watering em like 3+ times a day by now. There is probably a nutrient build up which is likely why you are seeing clawing. Like 500-700ppm 3 times a day or more with good amount of run off. I would flush em like with about 3 gal of water each. Then a light feed of 500ppm right after and start watering 3 times a day starting at lights on.
completly agree^^^^^^ last flush make your mix half what you last feed,feed after that bump up another hundred last feed the full 700

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ok, I’ll try increasing the frequency and see what happens. This scares the crap out of me 😬
trail by fire friend,flush them salts out,check your ppm of runoff when you get it close to the same ppm your putting in you there,check your tap water first ,ph and ppm write it down,when you start the flush check ppm and ph of runoff,write it down let us know what it was

HFJud

HFJud

ok that said,think about this,coco has to stay moist period,let it dry your in for a world of mess,so you think your over watering it because it all moist right,well it supose to be,when the plant is small you look at it needing exchange once a day,in solo cup maybe every other day,but when you break out in full veg and then flower,you have to exchange that air ,and the nutes it needs,by feeding to 20 to 30 % runoff your washing out the left over salts,now if it dries those salts dont wash out so much and so being wet it always has nutrients when it wants it,it is the air and nute exchange that makes the plant flourish and grow like a WEED same thing as in your yard,the more you mow the thicker them bitchs come back hahaah,
but moist is what you wont and at 3 weeks in flower i was exchanging air and nutes 4 times a day,alot of work,you cant slack with coco when it happy it put buds in the jar,make it unhappy and you got a hell of a ride just to harvest,i dont even think you can over water coco,might be able to over nute them ,but that were your ppm count for the stage of growth comes in,more problems are caused by boasters and bullshit,instead use the basic and you be surprised what the out come a be if you dig what im saying,it doesnt hurt a damn thing to feed fresh water once a day and most times recomended to wash some of the salt out,but i wouldnt go 2 feeds without calmag in one of them,so im thinking your convinced you have a N issue,ok so lay off the n for a feed come back with a half strength of N next feed after that,balance it out ,what is the ratio 1-2-3 as far a NPK goes and depends on stage of growth again drainage has a lot to do with it too so does air movement when your media is always moist air movement means a lot so ya hope you kinda understand what im saying,im by no means a coco geek im just explaining what worked for me in my endeavor,shit im lazy and just stick to soil unless im hurting for medicine and want fast meds if you dig ,coco is freaking work hahahah

Thank you a million for the reply. Yes, I have a lot of air movement 8 fans and 2 ground fans aimed under the canopy.

I’m uncertain if the N issue is still there or it’s just the residual effect from the N issue I was having... or maybe combined with not feeding/watering daily/multi daily waterings.

I have everything on drippers/auto watering.

I’m sure I’m over thinking this....

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thank you a million for the reply. Yes, I have a lot of air movement 8 fans and 2 ground fans aimed under the canopy.

I’m uncertain if the N issue is still there or it’s just the residual effect from the N issue I was having... or maybe combined with not feeding/watering daily/multi daily waterings.

I have everything on drippers/auto watering.

I’m sure I’m over thinking this....
flush and see all i can say i pretty much explained how i rolled with it,you still have a isssue ,so you need to know ,if you dont feel good about do your worst one and see,but a runoff ppm and ph will tell the tale,until you get the salt buildup out you will still walk in to a nightmare ,your call friend

HFJud

HFJud

flush and see all i can say i pretty much explained how i rolled with it,you still have a isssue ,so you need to know ,if you dont feel good about do your worst one and see,but a runoff ppm and ph will tell the tale,until you get the salt buildup out you will still walk in to a nightmare ,your call friend

Thanks so much for the help. I’ll give them a flush and see where we’re at.

HFJud

HFJud

Hey guys: this morning I watered in at 450 ppm and my runoff was about 530avg per table. Now, my tables have residual salt on them so I’m thinking it’s very close to 450-500. I will be watering 3x/day as I’m not seeing any huge water issues. The next few days will surely tell.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Yes you can overwater Coco. When I up pot I run 100% cocoa and I hand water until the plant has a wet dry cycle daily. Then I put on the auto feed. And feed three times a day. Do you start watering three times a day before your root ball can handle it you will over water your cocoa. You need a wet dry cycle for air at the route level. Best of luck brother

HFJud

HFJud

Yes you can overwater Coco. When I up pot I run 100% cocoa and I hand water until the plant has a wet dry cycle daily. Then I put on the auto feed. And feed three times a day. Do you start watering three times a day before your root ball can handle it you will over water your cocoa. You need a wet dry cycle for air at the route level. Best of luck brother

Thank you. Yep, I think you’re right. I had watered yesterday and some of the plants got worse in the claw department which tells me I’m overwatering. I’ll let the coco dry out a little more before watering once again. This can be the only logical answer to what’s going on. The N toxicity seems to be gone.

I believe I treated like 100% coco too fast.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you. Yep, I think you’re right. I had watered yesterday and some of the plants got worse in the claw department which tells me I’m overwatering. I’ll let the coco dry out a little more before watering once again. This can be the only logical answer to what’s going on. The N toxicity seems to be gone.

I believe I treated like 100% coco too fast.
You going right back to what got you into this problem. I guess you just need to find out for yourself. Your plants are not the young little plants that are being overwatered. Just my opinion but I think if you continue watered every other day you can kiss these plants goodbye

HFJud

HFJud

You going right back to what got you into this problem. I guess you just need to find out for yourself. Your plants are not the young little plants that are being overwatered. Just my opinion but I think if you continue watered every other day you can kiss these plants goodbye

I think the issue is that the roots haven’t established themselves enough in the 3 gal pot (and coming from the peat/coco/perlite). After watering yesterday some of the plants got clawed even more when I came in today - seems that’s the issue wouldn’t you think?

I’m not entirely certain but if it’s getting worse after watering wouldn’t that be the most probable issue?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think the issue is that the roots haven’t established themselves enough in the 3 gal pot (and coming from the peat/coco/perlite). After watering yesterday some of the plants got clawed even more when I came in today - seems that’s the issue wouldn’t you think?

I’m not entirely certain but if it’s getting worse after watering wouldn’t that be the most probable issue?
Clawing or dropping? Drooping is normal after watering to an extent. But if you water it's saturated then don't water again the water becomes depleted of oxygen and the plant will droop more. That's why you need to water often. It's coco not soil, if your gonna treat it like soil then let it dry right out in order to get oxygen but you will have nutrient issues You either treat it like soil and get soil like results or treat it like coco and get hydro like results. You are sitting in the middle and it's not helping you. . If your gonna use it like soil then just grow in soil. Thats just my opinion. What you do is up to you.

HFJud

HFJud

Clawing or dropping? Drooping is normal after watering to an extent. But if you water it's saturated then don't water again the water becomes depleted of oxygen and the plant will droop more. That's why you need to water often. It's coco not soil, if your gonna treat it like soil then let it dry right out in order to get oxygen but you will have nutrient issues You either treat it like soil and get soil like results or treat it like coco and get hydro like results. You are sitting in the middle and it's not helping you. . If your gonna use it like soil then just grow in soil. Thats just my opinion. What you do is up to you.

Yeah, it’s not drooping it’s just clawing

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah, it’s not drooping it’s just clawing
Then it's not from water... That clawing won't go away... It's from you letting the media dry up and so the nutrient concentration goes up and you get nitrogen toxicity. Once it's there it will not go away. Pay attention to new growth as all old damage will stay.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

IMHO you have the info in the thread. But it's up to you it's your grow so you need to do what you feel is right. I can tell you what I think until I'm blue in the face but it's not my decision bro make.

It's not easy when starting and trying to figure out what you should do... Especially when you get mixed answers. I get that and it's good for you to question things and be concerned about the info you get. The only thing is you need to treat the media you are growing in accordingly. I think there is more than just water practice issues but I think that's your biggest issue. Will it fix everything.... Maybe but I think after that's corrected you may have a few more still.

HFJud

HFJud

Then it's not from water... That clawing won't go away... It's from you letting the media dry up and so the nutrient concentration goes up and you get nitrogen toxicity. Once it's there it will not go away. Pay attention to new growth as all old damage will stay.

If that’s the case that’s strange - my coco is still visibly wet/moist and touching it - my fingers will get wet. New growth seems to be coming in on the new plants clawed as well.

HFJud

HFJud

IMHO you have the info in the thread. But it's up to you it's your grow so you need to do what you feel is right. I can tell you what I think until I'm blue in the face but it's not my decision bro make.

It's not easy when starting and trying to figure out what you should do... Especially when you get mixed answers. I get that and it's good for you to question things and be concerned about the info you get. The only thing is you need to treat the media you are growing in accordingly. I think there is more than just water practice issues but I think that's your biggest issue. Will it fix everything.... Maybe but I think after that's corrected you may have a few more still.

I appreciate your candor speaking with me. It’s difficult to add more water when it’s counter intuitive. However, transplanting into coco has made my realm of knowledge fly out the window.

I guess it won’t kill the plants and try to water to a higher frequency.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If that’s the case that’s strange - my coco is still visibly wet/moist and touching it - my fingers will get wet. New growth seems to be coming in on the new plants clawed as well.
Probably from nutrient build up not to mention it's going to take time to recover. You can water once and boom the issue is gone... Plants don't work that way. These are not healthy plants and will take time to recover.

Let me explain overwatering. It's not water that's the problem. I grow with my roots submerged all the time pure water. Why are my plants not over watered? Because there is no such thing... It lack of oxygen that is the issue and that what happens when plants in soil get watered to often because the soil cannot breathe and oxygen gets depleted. The leafs droop because the plant can't transpire because of lack of oxygen it all connected. They call it over watered but it's really lack of oxygen. Coco is not the same. The difference is the drainage. You need to water more often and with good run off this bring in fresh nutrients and oxygen. Also flushes the media to push out the old nutrients so they don't build up.

Ok anyhow I wish ya luck man and hope ya get it sorted

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I appreciate your candor speaking with me. It’s difficult to add more water when it’s counter intuitive. However, transplanting into coco has made my realm of knowledge fly out the window.

I guess it won’t kill the plants and try to water to a higher frequency.
I would say 3x day or more at that size... Other wise your half assing it and it may not help

bunkerking

bunkerking

I just tested this theory and you can slam them with 3+ feedings a day. The roots will grow regardless. It just removes the guess work by multi daily feeding right off the bat imo. At least once a day... at least once. Dont go more than 24 hours.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom