Cleaning coco coir for reuse

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

If you reuse your coco coir and fabric pots, what’s your method for cleaning all the roots from both? Thanks in advance.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Use senzyme or slf-100. Only need to do a good flush out if you use synthetic ferts. If it’s organic you want to keep that in. I run straight coir and by the end of the run with flushing they get pretty light in the pot. If you really saturate in a tote or tub should come out easy. Use gloves

Madmax

Madmax

Theres also cannazyme.that breaks down roots and converts it for food for your plants..

amekins

amekins

Use senzyme or slf-100. Only need to do a good flush out if you use synthetic ferts. If it’s organic you want to keep that in. I run straight coir and by the end of the run with flushing they get pretty light in the pot. If you really saturate in a tote or tub should come out easy. Use gloves
I will check this product out. Thank you. I basically peeled the fabric pot off and worked off as much as I could in the grow bag. And then, grabbed large handfuls and rubbed together under running water. The coco falls away with the water and the roots form a cohesive clump in my hand to separate out. It’s time consuming though and thought there might be a better way.

amekins

amekins

there should b a few brands too Amy that will break it down 🙂
So do you not really even worry about any of the roots left behind? Or only once you’ve cleaned what you can? I was hoping for a one use product and not need to add to the feed.

Madmax

Madmax

I havnt actually reused but i used cannazym in feed in flower as it does what i mentioned above.im not sure how long it takes to break down but it was def doing something as i noticed i darker color to runoff when using....i will ph a friend lol @Aqua Man 😃

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo pots are to cheap to reuse and hard to clean. The coco can be rinsed and reused but it does break down over time and the longer it's used the more compact it will become... personally I don't but yes you can do it. I would rinse well and maybe give it a soak in cal mag over night.

amekins

amekins

Imo pots are to cheap to reuse and hard to clean. The coco can be rinsed and reused but it does break down over time and the longer it's used the more compact it will become... personally I don't but yes you can do it. I would rinse well and maybe give it a soak in cal mag over night.
Thank you!

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

So I’m probably doing it all wrong. But I just recently started to reuse my old coco.
Right now I have it in a big tub in the basement with earth worms. I do worry about the old roots causing root rot or other bacterial problems in the new pots.

i have a few plants in the substate. They don’t look any worst then my others. Been having nut and cal mag issues. Ever since I upgraded to the heavy duty LEDs CaMg balance has been really hard to balance.

amekins

amekins

So I’m probably doing it all wrong. But I just recently started to reuse my old coco.
Right now I have it in a big tub in the basement with earth worms. I do worry about the old roots causing root rot or other bacterial problems in the new pots.

i have a few plants in the substate. They don’t look any worst then my others. Been having nut and cal mag issues. Ever since I upgraded to the heavy duty LEDs CaMg balance has been really hard to balance.
I never had calmag issues outside but experience them with leds and I’m definitely trying to find my way with calmag in coco.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Yes, the cal/mag will be a buffer, great idea. It's comes in new coir bags by some companies.

amekins

amekins

Yes, the cal/mag will be a buffer, great idea. It's comes in new coir bags by some companies.
I’m using bricks so they have to be rehydrated. Supposedly the coco coir is well rinsed before compressed but I’ve been rinsing it well anyway.

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Some brands are better then others. A big name brand is one of the worse imo. I hydrate with Rhizotonic and Cal/Mag personally. 5kg brick takes 3gal water. Never makes as much as they say 80+ L is BS

Madmax

Madmax

I actually had a geezer of the condition of the coco in one of my harvested plants..i was amazed it wasnt compacted .was like a spong, nice and soft...the smaller pot i had them in previous to up potting was firmer but i spose it has to b as thats where the majority was concentrated.im going to keep it..theres only fine like hairs there.im thinking of reusing it outdoors.run some cannazym through and a good rinse to get rid of the real fine coir.these deep square pots work pretty good.
20210317 142158

Latest posts

Top Bottom