Cleaning Out Curing Jars

• Thread starter Growin Grass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growin Grass

Growin Grass

What do you fine folks use to clean out your jars between runs?
My first thought was iso, but I'm worried about not getting it rinsed out well enough.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

The salt is more than a "scrubber".
Put some rock salt in the oven on low 250-300F.
That will dry it.
When you add it to alcohol it steals water and concentrates the alcohol.
Takes 70% isopropyl alcohol up to ~ 88%.
Bone dry wheat husks can take it to the high 90s.
Hope you're not discarding the alcohol. Wash a dozen jars, your scissors, and your grinder,
Then evaporate the alcohol. You may be surprised at the yield.
Don't do it with pipe cleanings though, tastes nasty.

Aloha,
Weezard

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Damn i just put mine in the dishwasher.The soap/hot water cleans them fine and the dry cycle sterilizes them.I figure if its good enough to eat off,its good enough to put my weed in.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

@fishwhistle Digging the new avatar, is that off a shirt or hat or something?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The salt is more than a "scrubber".
Put some rock salt in the oven on low 250-300F.
That will dry it.
When you add it to alcohol it steals water and concentrates the alcohol.
Takes 70% isopropyl alcohol up to ~ 88%.
Bone dry wheat husks can take it to the high 90s.
Hope you're not discarding the alcohol. Wash a dozen jars, your scissors, and your grinder,
Then evaporate the alcohol. You may be surprised at the yield.
Don't do it with pipe cleanings though, tastes nasty.

Aloha,
Weezard
You have piqued my interest, this reminds me of the method to make concentrated vinegar (freezing, then pouring off the water). How did you learn about this method using the rock salt to 'distill' (remove moisture) from the alcohol? I'm totally diggin' on it.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Learned it when I was reading about Moonshine.

It's basic chemistry. Any solid with a stronger affinity for water will steal water from a liquid, or a vapor with a weaker affinity.

They used to use oven dried wheat n oat chaff that was left over from fermentation.
Because alcohol vapor is so hygroscopic, it will take moisture from the air as a vapor, so the limit with distillation is roughly 85%, on a day with low R.H.

Least expensive way to concentrate it was what I was looking for.
CaCl, (Calcium Chloride) will work mo' betta, but I had rock salt on hand.

I'm a brewer so I already had the means to measure alcohol content.
Threw some salt in a cup of 70% ethanol and saw no change.
Hmmm, then the lights came on.

Our RH is high, the Rock salt was almost wet sitting on the shelf.
Weighed some out, popped it in the oven, then weighed it again.
Aha! Now let's see.

Put some dried salt in and brought it to 88%. That's 176 proof.
If you do it less sloppily, 91% - 182 proof is possible.
But kiln dried chaff can get you to 99%.

And keep it there if you seal it tight. :)
Never even leave the cap off for any longer than necessary, it will grab water from the air.
Don't ask how I know that. :(

That all I know about it, so far.
I use the alcohol only for RSO extraction purposes, though.

For cleaning my glass, Acetone can't be beat IMO.

Aloha,
Weeze

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fascinating!

A brewer borrowed my refractometer and has yet to return it. I've got Brix readings I wanna take! I do home canning a bit so I have CaCl on hand already.

Is acetone an endocrine disruptor? I seem to recall reading about some issues associated with manicurists who use it often.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Fascinating!

A brewer borrowed my refractometer and has yet to return it. I've got Brix readings I wanna take! I do home canning a bit so I have CaCl on hand already.

Is acetone an endocrine disruptor? I seem to recall reading about some issues associated with manicurists who use it often.

Yes.
Dosage/length of exposure is the issue there.
Consider that those folks are breathing heavy acetone fumes 8 hours a day.
I get dizzy just walking by the salon.

Not to worry, my medical applicators are glass and acetone evaporates leaving no residue. A rinse in hot water leaves them sparkling and more important, odorless.

I also find it to be an excellent extraction solvent because it is relatively easy to purge completely and does not form peroxides in contact with organic material.
(That is a possibility with Isopropyl alcohol.)

I do not recommend using acetone for extraction to anyone un-trained in the procedure.
Not for toxicity, that is not a major problem.

The real worry is the B.P. and the flash point.
The fire hazard is second only to Butane.
It's lighter than air though, so is easier to dissipate safely with simple precautions.

If you are sure that you know what you are doing, Acetone is an excellent solvent.

However, I must say to beginners. "Do not try this at home. " :D

Aloha,
Weeze

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

You're talking 'bout cleaning your paraphernalia?

Yes.
But I have no paraphernalia. All I have is medical applicators. :D

I put a half dozen pipes at a time in a gallon ziplock bag, add acetone, seal, and gently slosh it.
Decant, refill, slosh, and dispose.
Then run some hot water into the bag and slosh some more.
Shake and wipe with paper towels and set out to dry.
Medical applicators

Just to remain on-topic. Acetone is my first choice for recovering resin from my storage jars because of it's aggressive nature. It's superior to alcohol for this purpose IMO.

Aloha,
Weeze

Last edited:
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Yes.
But I have no paraphernalia. All I have is medical applicators. :D

I put a half dozen pipes at a time in a gallon ziplock bag, add acetone, seal, and gently slosh it.
Decant, refill, slosh, and dispose.
Then run some hot water into the bag and slosh some more.
Shake and wipe with paper towels and set out to dry.
View attachment 540964

Just to remain on-topic. Acetone is my first choice for recovering resin from my storage jars because of it's aggressive nature. It's superior to alcohol for this purpose IMO.

Aloha,
Weeze
Nice collection!

PROTOPIPE

PROTOPIPE

Try this one time before you immediatley scoff and dismiss it......fill a glass jar (i use old pickle jars from costco big ones) fill it 3/4's with hot waterdump in a healthy scoop of oxy-clean, then put your resined pipes in there. Allow them to sit and have the oxygen attack and remove the resin/tar.....i bet you'll be impresssed with your results

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Try this one time before you immediatley scoff and dismiss it......fill a glass jar (i use old pickle jars from costco big ones) fill it 3/4's with hot waterdump in a healthy scoop of oxy-clean, then put your resined pipes in there. Allow them to sit and have the oxygen attack and remove the resin/tar.....i bet you'll be impresssed with your results

Hmmm, Got Oxyclean in the laundryroom.
It's less expensive than Acetone, and it won't burn your house down, or stink it up.
I'll give that a try, thanks.

Aloha,
Weeze

Latest posts

Top Bottom