Cleaning RWDWC for next grow

• Thread starter jemro86
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jemro86

jemro86

Hey. I posted this on the other forum but didn’t get any responses over there. Maybe someone here can help me.

So I just finished my first grow in both my 4 plant site and 2 plant site RWDWC set ups. How does everyone clean/sanitize their set ups when getting ready to start your next grow? I would think that running diluted bleach water through it and trying to scrub everywhere that is accessible, and then rinsing it out a few times? Anyone have any better ways/ideas/tips? Thanks! :)

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Depending on what type of nutrients you used, type of plastics (PVC vs Flexible Vinyl) you may need to take the system apart.

How often you did res changes....how well you clean between those res changes... it all effects what is needed to properly reset the system.

You can't "over clean" I don't think so no worries there.

You have the right idea....bleach, rinse and repeat.

RR1

RR1

Depending on what type of nutrients you used, type of plastics (PVC vs Flexible Vinyl) you may need to take the system apart.

How often you did res changes....how well you clean between those res changes... it all effects what is needed to properly reset the system.

You can't "over clean" I don't think so no worries there.

You have the right idea....bleach, rinse and repeat.
I use 35% Hydrogen peroxide, diluted down to 7%. I scrub everything, and spray down the walls of my tent. I don't like bleach for the chlorine residual. But it does work.
RR1

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Ya, bleach is not fun to deal with and hard to rinse for sure. Its mainly used/recommended due to the cheap cost.

What your using is better IMHO.

After a good scrubbing, I like to run the system with just RO and peroxide mixed at around 10-15% strength for about 24-48 hours.....drain/rinse.....refill for plants.

Option: If running micro biology, inoculate with Bio filter and run system for about 5 days before adding plants.

jemro86

jemro86

I’ve used hydrogen peroxide before and my inline pumps won’t work right after I add it because of all the air bubbles. What has anyone done to get around this?

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Hmmmm........never had that issue. By inline do you mean pump is inside the tank? Pump should be external.

Anthem

Anthem

I’ve used hydrogen peroxide before and my inline pumps won’t work right after I add it because of all the air bubbles. What has anyone done to get around this?
More than likely you lost what is called the prime on the pump, it should not have been caused by the hydrogen peroxide but more by draining all of the water out of the system. Take a look at the instructions that came with the pump or go online to the manufactures website and look up how to prime the pump.

jemro86

jemro86

Hmmmm........never had that issue. By inline do you mean pump is inside the tank? Pump should be external.
What I mean by inline is the pump is outside the res, hooked into tubes on the res. I practically copied Gary from PHydroponics “fallponics” system on YouTube for reference. But when I added in H2O2, all the bubbles from it causes the pumps to lose the prime and not circulate anymore, which is why I went the bleach route. I’d clean with bleach water and then rinse out 3 times before filling for the 4th time, which I considered clean at that time.

Top Bottom