Clone 2.5 weeks after transplanting, she looking ready for nutes?

• Thread starter Dr_Cactus12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dr_Cactus12

Hey everyone, newer grower here, back with another question. So 27 days ago I purchased a wedding cake clone and got it locked and loaded in some FF ocean forest and things have seemed to be doing pretty well. Although, I have noticed that the growth from the past few days has looked a little yellow. I have only given water with a half dose of CalMag (CM every other watering) pH’ed to 6.5. It’s weird though because the yellowing is only on the newer leaves while the older leaves remain fine. Most of the deficiencies I have dealt with personally have happened the other way around. I posted here yesterday about something else and some people pointed out that my light was far too close to the canopy, so I moved it back but I have some suspicions that the excess light possibly caused some of this yellowing, but I have no idea honestly. I’m tempted to feed them but considering it’s still so young and the soil is so hot I don’t want to misread the signs here and over feed my plants like I have done in the past so I thought I would ask what you guys thought before making any moves. I do also want to point out that this plant is only in a smaller 6” diameter pot but from what I have read that is pretty typical for the first stage of smaller clones. Thanks!

Medium: FFOF
pH: 6.5 input/6.4 runoff (only have used cal mag out to this point)
Temp: 26.6 daily average
RH: usually around 45-50 but it does drop significantly during the day sometimes
Mars ts1000 at 18/6

Three pics from today:
CBCB2512-0079-43ED-8849-82B9904A858B.jpeg
7DA543EF-F401-4F20-BBF3-BDD602497387.jpeg
BC296A3F-32FB-4972-8C08-4748CBE2C8E5.jpeg

A pic from a week ago (4/10)
6E285F50-1539-4A9A-B6CB-6FAFC12E9D1D.jpeg

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Hey Dr looks like you doing ok so farđź‘Ť
I think you might be right about the light being to close, that definitely could cause your upper leaves to yellow but I think if it was the light you would have noticed the light leaves before you moved the light up not after, was it like that before you you moved it up?

What size pot is it 1 gallon? If so it could be do for a up pot, or to start feeding bottles if that's what your going to do.
If you going to start feeding bottles start low at half strength to see how it reacts.

Hope that helps
Happy Growing

D

Dr_Cactus12

Hey Dr looks like you doing ok so farđź‘Ť
I think you might be right about the light being to close, that definitely could cause your upper leaves to yellow but I think if it was the light you would have noticed the light leaves before you moved the light up not after, was it like that before you you moved it up?

What size pot is it 1 gallon? If so it could be do for a up pot, or to start feeding bottles if that's what your going to do.
If you going to start feeding bottles start low at half strength to see how it reacts.

Hope that helps
Happy Growing
Hi primo, thanks for the help. The leaves started yellowing before moving the light, I actually moved the light just last night so whatever you are seeing right now are pretty much the results from when the light was really close. I’m not really sure how big the container is tbh it’s just the one I use for rooting goji berry cuttings. I have gallon pots and this container is a bit smaller than those so I’d reckon somewhere in the 3/4 gallon area. I just watered last night, so I’m gonna low dose feed in the next day or two once it dries out unless you think I should go straight to feeding right now. Just being careful about not overwatering lol.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Hi primo, thanks for the help. The leaves started yellowing before moving the light, I actually moved the light just last night so whatever you are seeing right now are pretty much the results from when the light was really close. I’m not really sure how big the container is tbh it’s just the one I use for rooting goji berry cuttings. I have gallon pots and this container is a bit smaller than those so I’d reckon somewhere in the 3/4 gallon area. I just watered last night, so I’m gonna low dose feed in the next day or two once it dries out unless you think I should go straight to feeding right now. Just being careful about not overwatering lol.
Are you going to up pot it at any time?
You could just put it in a bigger pot with more ffof.
If not yes start feeding it at half strength next watering, I think the pot is going to be too small though if you plan in keeping it in there for a long time.

Happy Growing

D

Dr_Cactus12

Are you going to up pot it at any time?
You could just put it in a bigger pot with more ffof.
If not yes start feeding it at half strength next watering, I think the pot is going to be too small though if you plan in keeping it in there for a long time.

Happy Growing
Yes I’m absolutely going to transplant without question. This was more of just an experiment to see how clones do when potted up a few times vs put directly into their final containers. I’ll definitely get to feeding (half strength tho) once this thing dries out a bit. I’m feeling a lot more confident that I won’t fuck this up. Thanks for the help!

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Yes I’m absolutely going to transplant without question. This was more of just an experiment to see how clones do when potted up a few times vs put directly into their final containers. I’ll definitely get to feeding (half strength tho) once this thing dries out a bit. I’m feeling a lot more confident that I won’t fuck this up. Thanks for the help!
I find when growing with organic soil if you up pot at the right time your plant won't skip a beat and just rocket to finish nice and healthy the hole time.
I would up pot personally when it dries out because your plant is getting to big for your pot.

Happy Growing

Heywood

Heywood

I still think what you are seeing is because of the light.
You also have some serrated edge curl going on.
Give it another day or two to see if it gets it's nice green color back.

I made the same mistake as you did with the LED's, as this is my first time using LED also.
My leaves started yellowing and I had the serrated edge curl on a few leaves.

I had my Spider Farmer SE5000 (480W) at about 16" from the plants and at about 50% power.
Too close and too much!

I backed that light off to (eventually) 36" at 60% power till I found that's what they wanted.
So some of it is strain/genetics on what it wants/can take.

Keep in mind these are still very young plants and they need to be treated somewhat gently in regards to what we throw at them as far as light/nutes/additives.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I also had the tops of my plants start to yellow when using led. It definitely could be the culprit but it does need a up pot somewhat soon regardless.
Actually just switched my veg light back to MH cause it was annoying me.
Still use led in flower though.

D

Dr_Cactus12

Keep in mind these are still very young plants and they need to be treated somewhat gently in regards to what we throw at them as far as light/nutes/additives.
Yes these are my thoughts exactly and pretty much the reason I made this post in the first place. This could be a nute issue, but it could also not be and if I end of feeding a young plant that's already in hot soil I definitely risk burn. I, like any noob, have completely overfed the shit out of my plants and burned them pretty bad. This being only my third grow, I'm trying to be very careful not to overfeed. Now with the lights at a proper distance I can hopefully tell in the next few days what the culprit is. Thank you!

Heywood

Heywood

...feeling a lot more confident that I won’t fuck this up...

Haha. Famous last words. You should set expectations now, that you are going to fuck stuff up along the way. It is just a matter of to what extent. :)

Another friendly tip... whatever pots you end up in, you will want a saucer under them and you will want the pot suspended up off of the saucer.
I use like 3/4" x 3/4" x 8" sections of wood but you can use whatever you have handy to set the pot on.
This way when you water and have runoff, the pot is not sitting in constant wetness. It is ideal for the plants to go through watered/moist/dryness stages.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I also had the tops of my plants start to yellow when using led. It definitely could be the culprit but it does need a up pot somewhat soon regardless.
A cheap quantum PAR meter will quickly answer many questions regarding LED. I don’t understand a group that spends money up the ass for a pH meter but keep adjusting lights by guess and by golly.

Heywood

Heywood

Yeah I agree. He needs to pot up or he's gonna get root bound soon.
I found that this was the best way to veg mine regarding the lights.
Best of both worlds.

Lights2

D

Dr_Cactus12

Curious, how often are you watering these young girls?
I have not watered the ones in the back once since I planted those clones (7 days ago). The older one in the front I water about every 4-5 days. I have a bit of experience gardening in containers and I've developed a decent sense of the watering needs between different containers and different sizes of plant so over/underwatering is usually not that much of an issue here.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
A cheap quantum PAR meter will quickly answer many questions regarding LED. I don’t understand a group that spends money up the ass for a pH meter but keep adjusting lights by guess and by golly.
I got a par meter but they still didn't like the led no matter what the par. I think it was to cold for them in my veg room.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
Haha. Famous last words. You should set expectations now, that you are going to fuck stuff up along the way. It is just a matter of to what extent. :)

Another friendly tip... whatever pots you end up in, you will want a saucer under them and you will want the pot suspended up off of the saucer.
I use like 3/4" x 3/4" x 8" sections of wood but you can use whatever you have handy to set the pot on.
This way when you water and have runoff, the pot is not sitting in constant wetness. It is ideal for the plants to go through watered/moist/dryness stages.
If he's in organic soil I don't think he wants to water to run off. Then you are simply flushing out some of your nutrients that are in your soil.
Flushing is for coco/soiless to flush off access salt buildup as far as I know.

I run organic soil and try my darnedest to not have any run off.

Happy Growing

D

Dr_Cactus12

You should set expectations now, that you are going to fuck stuff up along the way. It is just a matter of to what extent. :)
You should see a couple of my autoflowers outside. Everything from pests to my dumbass overfeeding them to my dog chomping off a side cola has really driven this point home for me. And I like that idea of using wood in the saucer. I'm usually reluctant to let ANY runoff sit at the bottom of my pot so I haven't used them in the past, but I've never considered your way so I will probably try that out.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I got a par meter but they still didn't like the led no matter what the par. I think it was to cold for them in my veg room.
This could definitely be the issue for you. I switched to LED last year. Bleached a seedling crop as white as ivory. I have never seen a snow white pot plant. On the advice of another grower I watched Bugbee on YouTube. Bought a cheap quantum meter. You couldn’t make me go back to HID. Hope you get it figured out.

D

Dr_Cactus12

If he's in organic soil I don't think he wants to water to run off. Then you are simply flushing out some of your nutrients that are in your soil.
Flushing is for coco/soiless to flush off access salt buildup as far as I know.

I run organic soil and try my darnedest to not have any run off.

Happy Growing
I'm running bottled nutes so a bit of runoff is helpful to control salts in my case AFAIK. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Top Bottom