Clones less likely to herm than mother plant?

• Thread starter Neuro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
So has anyone heard this? It sounds like complete bro science to me and I have no idea why that would be the case but I found an old seed pack from Square1 Genetics where the breeder suggests minimizing your chances of herming by taking clones from your seed plant and flowering those as opposed to the original plant.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I’ve heard the same thing but maybe someone else can chime in as to why…

Anthem

Anthem

So has anyone heard this? It sounds like complete bro science to me and I have no idea why that would be the case but I found an old seed pack from Square1 Genetics where the breeder suggests minimizing your chances of herming by taking clones from your seed plant and flowering those as opposed to the original plant.
I am 100 percent calling that bullshit. The clone is genetically exactly the same. Any traits carried by the mother will be passed down to the clone

Anthem

Anthem

Also this may sound too crapping but if you have to grow out the mother long enough to make clones it just gives the breeder more time to pollen chuck his next latest and greats junk.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

This sounds like a shady breeder trying to buy some more time before being called out for selling unstable genetics.

Neuro

Neuro

If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.
This sounds like a shady breeder trying to buy some more time before being called out for selling unstable genetics.
To be fair, he did state the the genetics were testers. I've grown three of his strains with no herms yet.

steamroller

steamroller

I agree this sounds like bro science, BUT since many things seem to get the credit for herming a plant like any and every kind of stress, I would say if the herm is not genetically inclined then a clone could have different end results depending on several factors .
If the clone can be considered 'acclimated' to your conditions and therefor more resilient then mother who has grown into the conditions, then possibly you have removed what could be the cause of herm in the mother?
Just running with the ball....

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Herming is a result of poor genetics in my opinion. If it has a tendency to herm, it should be culled. Sounds like these guys had anecdotal evidence with their tester strain and were trying to pass on the info as general growing advice. Happens a lot.

Anthem

Anthem

I agree this sounds like bro science, BUT since many things seem to get the credit for herming a plant like any and every kind of stress, I would say if the herm is not genetically inclined then a clone could have different end results depending on several factors .
If the clone can be considered 'acclimated' to your conditions and therefor more resilient then mother who has grown into the conditions, then possibly you have removed what could be the cause of herm in the mother?
I do not seem to understand how acclimated to conditions would modify the genetic coding of the plant (DNA). Can you further explain your thoughts?

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Crazy talk from the breeder.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

But when you clone you put the clone through the greatest stress it will ever see, and following that breeders logic then clone from clone from clone should eliminate the hermies.

Anthem

Anthem

But when you clone you put the clone through the greatest stress it will ever see, and following that breeders logic then clone from clone from clone should eliminate the hermies.
It does not work like that, does cloning cause stress, yes. But the plants genetics are tied up in the DNA. If the plant is genetically codes to have hermaphrodite traits all the cloning in the world will not change the DNA structure of the plant. Once a hermie always a hermie

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

It does not work like that, does cloning cause stress, yes. But the plants genetics are tied up in the DNA. If the plant is genetically codes to have hermaphrodite traits all the cloning in the world will not change the DNA structure of the plant. Once a hermie always a hermie
Yep,once a hermie always a hermie

TSD

TSD

Maybe they should look up the word clone in the dictionary lol... that sounds like a huge waste of time and resources to me.

steamroller

steamroller

My statement /thoughts went on believing that stress causes hermies. I have always stressed my plants and never had herms.
A genetically inclined plant will have genetically inclined clones .
Just trying to figure how the original thought would or could work ?
Again I think it is bro science .

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Good genetics don't herm. The genetics aren't good if herms are an issue.
But some of the most popular genetics out there(cookies and cake) are all herm prone??? I don’t agree with it but that’s a fact.

Anthem

Anthem

Funny u mentioned that cake. My only herm was a wedding cake lol big ol balls
Wedding cake is a pretty old strain. Was it from seed?
I grew it as a clone many times without issues on that one.

Top Bottom