Clones new growth is twisted and very shiny

• Thread starter Makisupa Gardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

Anyone have any suggestions what may be causing this?

LeD lighting
Co2
~80 degrees
~50 RH
FFOF soil
no feed yet.
pH water ~6.5
Transplanted about 10days ago

Clones new growth is twisted and very shiny
Clones new growth is twisted and very shiny 2
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
easy on the watering, also lights might be too close, otherwise maybe a root issue, overwatering?

Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

easy on the watering, also lights might be too close, otherwise maybe a root issue, overwatering?
Yea I believe they were overwatered and have developed a root issue. They are not drinking and growth has basically stopped. Thanks!

dire wolf

dire wolf

What's the name of your plant strain ? They dont look too bad , are the ones in back same as front? Were they all started at the same time ?

Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

The strain is Ackbar OG - heavy Indica

it’s been several days now and they are still like this- they don’t seem to be drinking at all.

no they were not all started the same time. The ones up front are about 3 1/2 weeks since cutting. Ones in back are around 6 weeks.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It is notmal for the plants to root for a week after transplant. Once they root well then the leaf growth comes.

Cant see color but it does look like the pots are drying uneven or were not watered in properly.

Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

It is notmal for the plants to root for a week after transplant. Once they root well then the leaf growth comes.

Cant see color but it does look like the pots are drying uneven or were not watered in properly.
Yes. They had recovered from planting and began new growth. I agree they were likely overwatered, but now this new growth is very irregular. I will post pics in a bit.
Thanks for your comments.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

You're dealing with sap suckers, see eggs on a few of your fan leaves, and quite a bit of chewing going on along with your "barreled" new growth and waxy appearance.

Typical of a broad mite infestation, worst critter I've ever encountered in regards to my growing. Fellow grower over in another thread seems to be battling a cyclamen mite problem, another herbivore I hope to never meet.

Seraphine

Seraphine

You wouldn’t be able to see broad mite eggs without a scope, however, I do think you should check for mites like @Bmg1982 suggested. Are they your clones or bought from somewhere else?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes. They had recovered from planting and began new growth. I agree they were likely overwatered, but now this new growth is very irregular. I will post pics in a bit.
Thanks for your comments.

They do not look overwatered. Im saying the roots may have got into a hot dry spot.

Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

You wouldn’t be able to see broad mite eggs without a scope, however, I do think you should check for mites like @Bmg1982 suggested. Are they your clones or bought from somewhere else?
They are clones from my own garden. Several other stages of veg in the same tent. No other plants are showing these issues.

I’m looking now but I don’t see any sign of bugs. I do have a scope.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

You won't see "singular" eggs via the naked eye. But can generally see when they lay eggs in clusters.

I used to mistake these clusters as "dead spider mites" as they would sit attached to fan leaves dormant, these clusters will appear "amber" in color.

A 50x scope will get you your answers, but something is definitely munching on your new growth.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Now that I see it in normal light, that looks like reveg. We’re these clones taken from a plant in flower?

Seraphine

Seraphine

I often take cuts from my flowering plants and when I put them under 18/6 lighting, they go through a period of “reveg”growth before they start producing normal looking fan leaves. The reveg growth if often curled, twisted, and singular smooth leaves.

Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

Now that I see it in normal light, that looks like reveg. We’re these clones taken from a plant in flower?
Negative. Mother was in veg- these clones were rooted Then planted and were perfect. The NBC after about 10 days they started showing these signs.
the other Gardner watered and I believe he soaked these pots way too much. Since that time they have been progressively showing this type of new growth, though the new growth is super slow...now it’s been about 7 days since they’ve been watered and really still don’t need water. These are only 2 gallon pots, Typically I water week 3 veg 2x a week.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

I see a cluster in one of your "purple" photos, and signs of chewing all over your daylight pics.

Hope it all turns around for ya, they're definitely not easy to spot, we're looking for critters that are 0.1- 0.2mm in size.

Last edited:
Makisupa Gardens

Makisupa Gardens

You won't see "singular" eggs via the naked eye. But can generally see when they lay eggs in clusters.

I used to mistake these clusters as "dead spider mites" as they would sit attached to fan leaves dormant, these clusters will appear "amber" in color.

A 50x scope will get you your answers, but something is definitely munching on your new growth.
I’m going to keep looking but so far have not found any critters. Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom