clones or seeds

• Thread starter ozhman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ozhman

debating on whether growing out a mom taking cuttings myself or going to buy cuttings n be lazy any opinions on this i know this has been address many times also r there any tricks on influencing a female

L

livinglegend

if your lazy. go buy a couple cuts, and make one a mom.

G

grizz

cuts if you know for sure what your getting. saves so much time pheno hunting and dealing with males......

N

North

question is...what are yor goal? and how hard are you willing to work for it?

M

MediVapeMan

Start with feminized seeds from greenhouse seed company. You wont have to worry about sexing them and you will have known their history from the day you sow them.

If you want to battle powdery mildew and pests, then get a clone from somebody else and bring it into your sterile growing environment.

I know I'm in the overwhelming minority, but I NEVER bring cuttings home anymore. If I didn't start it from seed it's not growing in my garden. There is just too much nasty shit out there. I pass up a lot of tempting offers all the time for trades.

L

Lost

You can always quarntine your clones for a few days. A few sprays of water and H2O2 to make sure if it is there, its dead now! Better hit surface of the media too...

M

MediVapeMan

Sometimes Mite eggs won't hatch for weeks. And powdery mildew won't show up until deep into flower most times. So you get 2-3 months invested in a cutting/plant and THEN it takes out your entire crop and renders your growing environment toxic. Quarantine is a good preventative measure but not very effective against the truly ugly stuff. The only way to be sure is to keep a sterile environment and grow from seed.

H

HELLOSMILY

I HERE YA MEDIVAPEMAN I KNOW A COUPLE PATIENTS WHO BOUGHT MITE INFESTED CLONES FROM DISPENSARYs AND DIDNT KNOW IT.....2 WEEKs LATER THE WHOLE CROP WAS INFESTED........ME PERSONALY I CANT TAKE THAT CHANCE.......POPPING BEANS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR ME......

S

sativablast

wats poppping beans got 2 do with no pests?
But yeh finding yur own pheno yu like and doing some selection is more
rewarding, but a proven sick clone is good 2.

M

MediVapeMan

Whats having sex with strangers have to do with getting an STD? Pretty much everything. If I don't know where it's been I don't screw it or grow it. You can still have problems even if you start from seed, but if you keep things clean and sterile and filtered you probably wont. But, if you start trading clones eventually you will get something. It's not if, it's when. Have heard too many horror stories and have had some close calls and near misses. I know practically everybody trades clones. I'm pretty anal though.

X

xxYIKESxx

Clones are definitely timesavers if it already has that killer pheno you're after but growing from seed is always fun because I like being surprised...I'm always eager and excited when I grow out seeds...anticipating the harvest then sampling the goods...there are times when i'm dissapointed but there are also times when i'm gleeefullly elated when I find that killer shizznit:character0111:

then I clone like a mofo lol

K

Kush-breeder

i would much rater grow out some elite clones like og kush fire than buy a cross of it and have to find a og dominate pheno.

capegrower

capegrower

seeds are easy for beginners but once youve mastered cloning its the way to go

P

purpleblockhead

its up 2 you, if you can get good genetics in a cut i would go with a clone, if all you can get is average genetics in clone, i would grow from seed and wait till you find a winner, not all cuttings are worth mothering, and i dont know any1 who sells there real good genetics 2 clubs or any1, i wouldnt use fem seeds 2 find a mother use regular seeds and do it right, if your worried about mites dip all your new cuttings in avid b4 your put with the rest of you plants, i friend gave me a new strain a while back i 4got 2 hit with avid and mites infested all my mothers and babys, it ruined my hole veg room and the new strain was average genetics it wasnt worth keeping, ill never 4 get avid again!!!!!!

W

wizard420

to grow out a mom plant u will always have cutting and as far as for female plant cooler temps and no stress will put you on the right track

C

crazycanuckster

cuttings for sure

if you have access to cuttings, hands down much easier and you don't have to worry about sexing!

D

Denny Crane

After the 3rd grow, I got a hold of some really good genetics. I grew them from seed, and cloned the hell outta them during veg (obviously after ascertaining the sex). I then had clones (a BUTTLOAD of them) ready to take their moms place in the artificial sun.

I see this as beneficial in 2 ways. First and foremost, in the event of a catastrophic crop failure I'm covered.
Second, I have a second "Fast Track" grow ready to go with as many fully mature females as I want to grow out.

Clones and SOG. It's the way to go if you want weight. I'm 24 days from harvesting my first clones (SOG) and I can't believe the size of the majority of the Colas. I was stuck at 2 pounds from my room. 3 tries and 2 was the BEST I could get from 10 girls. This go round I have 45 plants with basically one BIG ASSED Cola per plant. At an ounce per (I'm thinking a bit more) that's 3 pounds!! And I'm doing that in less space than 10 trees/bushes took up.

Growing from clones shaves anywhere from 60 to 90 days off the crop time. Plus, I now have them culled down to the phenos I want.

M

merahoon

depends on what your looking for and the amount of time you want to spend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom