Clones Yellowing, Tips Grey And Wilted

• Thread starter FriarTuck79
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FriarTuck79

FriarTuck79

I've had rock star results with clones for years, but for the past several runs, things have gotten really bad. Usually about 4-6 days in, after everything looks great, I start seeing some yellowing of the smaller leaves near the growth tips. Yellowing starts at the base of each leaf. Within a day, I'll see tips starting to turn a grayish black color and wilt up completely. Often lower tips go first. I pull infected cuts, but it seems to spread quickly despite my best efforts. Stem examination usually looks fine (no rot or fungus gnat larvae damage) and often there are healthy roots popping despite the top wilting away.

My method: rockwool, water ph'd to 5.5, Roottech rooting hormone. Everything in the process is cleaned with 1/10 bleach solution prior to taking clones, and rockwool is treated with Hygrozyme prior to soaking with light nutrient solution. I've tried a few different nutes (clonex, Olivia's) to see if it was a nutrient issue, but I was doubtful because of the wilting. Trays are domed for the first 4-5 days, which I remove for 30 minutes or so each day for some extra air circulation. Temp: 76-79, humid: 60-70%. Under single T5 lights, 4-6 inches away. They are only bottom watered by dunking into a clean, sanitiZed tray, usually not til day 6-7.

So I think after all my trials that I much be dealing with verticilium wilt or something of that nature. I started using Actinovate in my dunk water and tried using it foliar on one of the trays. Maybe some OG biowar root pack? Been out for a while and haven't reordered, don't do a lot of that kind if thing through the mail). I have seen some signs that may be VW in larger plants (leaf clawing), but they always pull out of it and the finished product is consistently very high quality. It never takes the larger plants down, although it may be due to my heavy regimen of teas, micros, and benes.

I attached some pics.

Hopefully someone has some advice. I'm tired of this shit!!!

Clones yellowing tips grey and wilted
Clones yellowing tips grey and wilted 2
Clones yellowing tips grey and wilted 3
Clones yellowing tips grey and wilted 4
Clones yellowing tips grey and wilted 5
straincreation

straincreation

How old is your rooting hormone i had these problems with old clonex. Are the stems going to shit after couple days below rockwool?
i had to pull um out re cut, redip,replant and got roots six days later. From those of um that survived. I had 2 runs go to shit before i figured this out.
BOL!
HAPPY FARMIN;)

FriarTuck79

FriarTuck79

Naw. I changed it out after the first batch went south. I have heard people say they haven't had luck using the gel dips. I started using them because it streamlined my process (not having to soak for 15-20 seconds in liquid).

In this case I find that the stem below the surface of the wool is in good shape. Like I said, often there are happy white roots on the bottom and nothin but nastiness on the top.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't have any answers for you on this problem, but I see what you're talking about and why you think it's a disease. The only time anything similar has happened to me was when I kept trying to buy live mint from the market. The growing tips would just blacken and die. Then one day it presented with PM pretty bad, so I sprayed with peroxide. Then EVERYTHING died, the plant was obviously that infected.

Sorry I can't be of more help here, because I swear I remember another farmer here posting about wilts and such, but I can't remember whom.

M

motz

Sounds like a humidity/heat problem. Possibly to warm. Remember 10 degrees over ambient air temp
Use Olivias Cloning gel fantastic results dam near 100% outcome.
I mist cuts and don't have a lick of problems. Everyday in fact.
After 2 days vent holes get completely open after a week dome comes off. Still utilizing heat pad though.
Never have problems with yellowing.

F

FooDoo

Are you spraying?

My buddies plants did the exact same thing when he'd spray for mites but leave the lights on

M

motz

If your clean to begin with you should not have mites.
Will not accept other peoples cuts, opening up a whole new can of worms, Screw That! Rather do without.
I do not need to worry about vermin, do not put myself in that situation.
Just a SMALL HOBBY GROWER anything like mites, etc. would be detremental to my well being.

Getting clean and staying clean is most peoples problems.
Some people are just plain hogs or L A Z Y and that's where the root of everything starts. Not picking up excess water causes more problems than one can think of. Leaving excess medium around. Basically not cleaning up after yourself.
Just like a carpenter it shows in your final product.
Do not procrastinate, do what needs to be done today.

So cleaning up your act helps immensely!

Spraying, as in what? Spritz everyday with a fine mist of ph adjusted water. Some spritz dome, I spritz z plants.
The combination of heat and moisture will transfer it to the dome.

Leaving the lights off for the first 3 or so days, initiates "tough love" makes the roots pop faster.

Luckydux

Luckydux

I was hoping someone had an answer. Either a name for the fungus involved or a solution. I’ve grown for over 20 yrs and I expect 100% success everytime but this year has been a war. I’ll figure it out but sure could usesome helpful ideas!
My clones look identical to the pics posted and it destroys about 75% ..usually starts on day 3-4.
I’m not concerned with how to prevent it, I want to know what it is!
I’ll be experimenting with dipping the clones in a solution of ?? or treating the mommas with ?? maybe a Bordeaux mixture
Any theories as to what fungus this is? I’m guessing it’s a mildew but ??????

CubanFlex

CubanFlex

I was hoping someone had an answer. Either a name for the fungus involved or a solution. I’ve grown for over 20 yrs and I expect 100% success everytime but this year has been a war. I’ll figure it out but sure could usesome helpful ideas!
My clones look identical to the pics posted and it destroys about 75% ..usually starts on day 3-4.
I’m not concerned with how to prevent it, I want to know what it is!
I’ll be experimenting with dipping the clones in a solution of ?? or treating the mommas with ?? maybe a Bordeaux mixture
Any theories as to what fungus this is? I’m guessing it’s a mildew but ??????
Could try dunking your clones in oxidate at 2mls a gallon before you put them in a plug. I havn't had a clone die on me in months after I started that regime.

Luckydux

Luckydux

Thanks for the info. Never heard of it but looks interesting...and $$$!
You wanna sell a small vial of it?! Seriously :cool:

Top Bottom