cloning a flowering female

• Thread starter lidspinner
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lidspinner

when cloning a female in flower, 6 weeks in, what steps should I take that are different from the normal cloning process? I have heard not to do this, just wondering what you all think.

K

kansasgrown

Same process as otherwise. Just expect a little funky growth at the onset (single leaves).

X

xxYIKESxx

I've cloned 4 weeks deep into flowering before...and let me tell you, it takes A LONG time for it to root into a usable clone.

I think it took nearly a month until I saw roots emerging out the bottom of my rockwool cube. You should also expect some yellowing and leaf necrosis along the way. I haven't done anything different from my usual cloning routine...just took a hell of a time to root.

R

Rural_GrowOp

I just took a cut from a plant that was harvested and I had roots in 5 days. That being said the veg is taking forever. While all the others are now 12" tall that one is like 4" and growing only single bladed leaves.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Typically The transition back to veg will stress them a lil and might make them stop active growth for a lil while, but I know a grower who always takes his cuts from flowering plants about 4 weeks in and by the time his flowering room finishes he has the cuts nicely vegged and ready to go...

BombBP

BombBP

I take cuts in flower all of the time. I'll post some pics shortly:).

I put them on a heating pad under a 15w fluoro on 24/7. They usually take around a week to root in jiffy pellets.

N

northern monsta

ive done this too i cant say enough from my experiance it takes them ages to start to grow again and leaves show signs of stress everytime ive done it they curl in a almost complete circle crazy to look at, im sure the last time i done this they took 4-5 weeks to get back to normal

T

the Rock

yeah it takes mucho patience. Now i know why I was getting the single leaf plants ie;taking clone from flowering plants

L

lidspinner

thanks everyone....I have a few flowering mangos and i was going tro trim the bottom shoots and throw them to the compost pile....and I then thought, why not clone em? so off I go to clone a flowering female, this will be my 1st time doing this. I will let you all know if they work out.

BombBP

BombBP

Clones taken in flower

First 2 pics are a G13 cut taken in flower. She was taken at 2 weeks into flower, rooted in about a week and has been growing healthy. No single bladed leaves...she's even frosty still:).

Last 2 pics are some Purple Rhino cuts I took the day before yesterday. Hopefully, next week this time they'll be healthy lil plants:).

Bad 13483
Bad 13484
Bad 13485
Bad 13486
S

stone69

Hey Bomb... how much ppm do you feed during cloning? Why to you cut the tips of the leave's? Thanks

R

RansacktheElder

Patience is definately a virtue on this. I have one that is seven weeks in and hasn't budged AT ALL. Rooted fine though. Good luck!

BombBP

BombBP

How does that help make it transpire?
Honestly, I don't have a clue. It may be the other way around. I've just always had better success trimming the leaves. I am not the best cloner either. Most of the time I lose half of them:).

S

stone69

I just read s thread from sub-cool and that's what he does... scroll down...

P

pinhi

trimming the leaves makes it easier for the cutting to root..more leaf area =more photosynthesis and no roots to support it..just my 2 cents..I try not to take cuttings after two weeks of flower as I find the time it takes to root is much longer

K

koopa troopa

here's what is does coming from a bio major, me. when you cut the leaves down, the plant has less chloroplasts to photosynthesize with. the specialized parenchyma cells in the stem will then differentiate into roots, because they are general all-purpose cells. less energy into getting carbs to focus on survival,which means it has to root. they transpire less since the stomata count is lowered via less surface area.

a buddy of mine rounders, rooted a 5 week kksc s1 bud. the thing was just rooted out of control! it is now throwing single bladed leaves like it did on my 2nd run with kksc s1 when i reveged it. took much longer to show new growth in reveg than it seemed to do in a cloner off a 5 week bud.

Top Bottom