Cloning and Nute burn

• Thread starter Crispy523
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crispy523

Crispy523

Hey y’all I am a new grower and doing this for my first time. Totally winging it other then the information I find online. So far so good but I have lots of questions. The lower leaves o my plants are slowly yellowing and falling off as my plants are in late veg. Then I have one strain that is clawing severely. I’m not sure if this is nitrogen toxicity or how to fix it. I added a cal-mag mixture to help the lower leaves and it seemed to worsen the claw. But that also has nitrogen in it.
I also have some questions on cloning if someone has any insight. I am using Rockwool cubes. Soaked them quickly in a clonex mixture PH at 5.8 also using rooting compound then put them in a propagator, misting once a day. I had one root great through the cube and then I transplanted into soil and took it out of the propagator, and it started to yellow up shrivel and is almost dead. It’s still in the grow tent which is also RH of about 55-60. I’m not sure if I shocked it or what or how to save it. I’ve since put it back in the propagator with the soil and it still looks bad. Also have some other clones that I’m not sure if they’re going to do well or not. The bottom leaves on them are yellowing also rather severely.
lastly I have a flowering plant that I think I burned the crap of. I’ve since flushed it and the damage seems to have only hit the leaves so far but man it was ugly.
I’m attaching some pics of what things are looking like. Both the clones and the claws. Thanks everyone

Cloning and nute burn
Cloning and nute burn 2
Cloning and nute burn 3
Cloning and nute burn 4
Cloning and nute burn 5
Cloning and nute burn 6
Cloning and nute burn 7
Cloning and nute burn 8
Cloning and nute burn 9
Cloning and nute burn 10
Cloning and nute burn 11
Cloning and nute burn 12
BigCube

BigCube

The soil you're transplanting in to, what does it have for nutrients? It looks like typical nutrient burn to me.

It could be a particularly hot mix of nutrients in the soil, or a picky strain.
I use promix hpcc, it doesnt have any nutrients in it, and I wont add nutrients to a clone until it shows signs of rooting. IE new growth. And then I only give it 500ppm until I transplant it in to a bigger pot.

Rockwool is alright cloning material, but unless you are not using soil at all, you're probably better off putting your clones in solo cups of dirt rather than rockwool then dirt.

Hope this helps! Good luck man.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

we - well, my other half has used the small rockwool cubes to root her cuttings, and then she plants the whole cube into potting mix...

i had the case of 'hot' soil mix, which the plants grew out of - but careful with any nutrients. the burnt tips and slight curl suggests mild n-toxicity, i reckon.

in the long run, you might want to adjust your soil mix - in the short-term, just water your plants, allowing some run-off, to partially flush each watering.

older damaged leaves tend not to recover - keep eye on new growth and their tips, to see if healthier. severe n-toxicity slows the plant's growth.

transplant shock? allow it at least a couple of day, a week, to see how the plant responds/recovers. I've had plants looking dead, not dying - and worse case took about a fortnight to recover from its root damage.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

we - well, my other half has used the small rockwool cubes to root her cuttings, and then she plants the whole cube into potting mix...

i had the case of 'hot' soil mix, which the plants grew out of - but careful with any nutrients. the burnt tips and slight curl suggests mild n-toxicity, i reckon.

in the long run, you might want to adjust your soil mix - in the short-term, just water your plants, allowing some run-off, to partially flush each watering.

older damaged leaves tend not to recover - keep eye on new growth and their tips, to see if healthier. severe n-toxicity slows the plant's growth.

transplant shock? allow it at least a couple of day, a week, to see how the plant responds/recovers. I've had plants looking dead, not dying - and worse case took about a fortnight to recover from its root damage.

Reminds me a lot of these 3 clones I just got from "the bc organic cup winner 3 years in a row". Covered in pests, sitting in a soil that is way too strong for clones, fungus gnats flying out of the drain holes, thrips crawling around on the leaves. Burnt tips, habitually over watered...

I mean, apparently you can win gold 3 years in a row but not know how to treat plants. But my philosophy is "do it right" Not "as long as it eventually lives I'm ok with it".

Sure, you can damage the shit out of your plants and still eventually get something out of them. But doing it right from the beginning is obviously the better way.

After dealing with these clones from the "3 years in a row organic gold cup winner". I assume my buddy lied to me or his buddy lied to him.

Anyways, hope you get it figured out man. Cloning is dead simple once you figure out what the plant actually wants. Not how much abuse it can take and still live đź‘Ť

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

@Crispy523 you have so much going on here, you are trying to run your grow like the ;ong time growers and pros do, but you are on your first attempt. My first advice is to keep it simple. The simpler you can keep things the more success you will have. As you have those little successes you can add those experiences into your banks of how to do things best. I also recommend to everyone, try one thing at a time, not a bunch. If you try 12 things at once you can never be sure what worked and what didn't, but if you focus on only one change or technique at a time you will put more effort into that and come out with a better end result.

The internet is an ok source of information, if you know what you are looking for. I highly recommend getting an actual book, yes those things made of paper with words and sometimes images on the pages bound together, they are easier to reference and often provide better information; at least the information is only from a single source. It does not have to be a Cannabis specific grow guide, any guide on how to best grow plants is a good start. The internet has so many differing opinions for the same question or topic; this can just be too much to sift through or can be overwhelming if you do not know how to discern good info from bad.

As for your plants, you need to provide a lot more information than you have. How long ago did you take the clones? It looks like you took them when the donor plant was in flower, is that correct? Do you have a dome over the clones? Do you have a heat mat under the clone tray?

What soil are you using? Are you using soil? What nutrients are you using? How often are you feeding your plants? What strength is the nutrient mixture you are giving your plants? Are you checking pH or EC (PPM)? Are you growing autoflower plants? Are all your plants in the same space? What is the temperature of your growing area?

And most importantly when taking pictures, pull the plants out of the colored light and put them in normal lighting otherwise it is impossible to actually tell what the plants look like and what damage may or may not have occurred.

Ok now onto some answers, lets start with your clones. If you have the clones rooting under a humidity dome I like to keep the dome over the top of the plants for 2 days undisturbed. On the third day I start to remove the dome for short periods at a time. This allows for the plants to get some fresh air and it gives me an idea of how strong they are at the moment in time too. That first time I remove the dome it is usually for no more than 30 min as that is when the plants usually start to wilt back over because they need the humid environment. But from this day on I am removing the lid for more extended periods each day. I also start to open the vents on the top of the dome a little at a time so air can begin to flow over the plants constantly. Usually I begin to check for roots by day 5 after cutting, I expect roots by day 7 or 8, but know it can take up to 14 days before they show roots. Once I have good development the dome stays off for good. I am looking for good root development coming through the plugs before I transplant the clones into their new home. However if you have not done the gradual removal of the humidity dome as the plant roots if you transplant the plant from a high humidity environment to a low humidity environment it will stress the plant. The gradual removal of the dome is integral to the process.

Your pictures have no labels so it is impossible to tell which picture is showing what problem, so I am assuming the first picture is the transplanted clone, but that is just a guess. If my guess is correct I would say it can still be saved, but it will take some time and effort. I would remove the lower leaves, particularly the ones that are crinkled up and yellow, basically anything under the top 4 leaves or so. It looks like you went from a high humidity environment to a low humidity environment with no adaptive period in between. So you will need to spray the transplanted clone to get the humidity at the leaves up so they have some water to take in. This may also be a sign your root system for that clone is not as strong as you originally thought. I would add just a touch of kelp to the spray as this will give your plants a bit of micronutrients that will help them pull through the stress.

As for your other clones, they may be trying to root, but if you keep the dome over them without any fresh air coming in the roots may simply never pop through your plugs. I find that if the humidity stays very high the cuttings do not need to spread their new roots as far as fast because they have all the moisture right at the leaves. Give them some fresh air each day and they will show roots. Also I think you have far too many leaves on those cuttings and this will also inhibit rooting. I like to have no more than 2 true leaves on my cuttings. This limits the amount of transpiration that occurs and will force the plant to throw roots to get the water it needs.

Now onto the transplanting, the most important thing here is to make sure your medium is not to hot for the young roots of your plants. Unfortunately I find roots of cloned plants to be more sensitive than roots of seed plants, so for clones a medium low in nutrients is ideal to get them started. In soil, it will likely be several weeks before your plants will require any nutrients, so water is all you should be giving them for the first 10-14 days after transplant. One of the most common mistakes at this point tends to be over-watering. Only water the plants when the soil is just about completely dry; as the plants are rooting into their new medium less is more. I personally soak my medium before I put the new clone into the pot and then I am not typically watering until 4 or 5 days after the transplant, but that is all dependent upon how quickly the medium drys out.

Once the clones have rooted into their medium you now have a plant in vegetative growth. This is when I first consider giving the plants some nutrients. I personally prefer to use a soil very low in nutritional content but not completely devoid of nutrients. This gives my plants enough food to get them going strong and I can slowly build up how much I am feeding them until I hit the max on my feeding schedule.

Your plants are showing all kinds of issues and this leads me to believe they are overwatered. Overwatering can throw off the pH balance of your medium which in turn can create nutrient imbalances within your plants. Clawing typically indicates a nitrogen overdose, however yellowing of the older (bottom) leaves can indicate a lack of nitrogen. It is not likely you have both issues going on so again I am leaning to the idea you are overwatering your plants. Do you have

If you have a nitrogen excess in the medium watering with cal/mag which has more nitrogen in it makes no sense. You would have been better using a magnesium supplement (without the calcium) to help flush the medium. Plus if your plants are overwatered you just compounded that issue as well. This is a time where less is going to be more, you are overthinking things and over babying your plants and you are going to love them to death.

Ok sorry if this sounds daunting or negative, I am not trying to get down on what you have going on, just trying to get you on the right track. There is so much going on here it can be tough to get at exactly what the problem(s) may be. I would love to help you get back on track to a nice harvest of quality homegrown herb.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have found that growing in cups doesn't allow for good handling of water/hydration. The one picture looks very dehydrated, but a big dose of fertilizer can also cause that effect by inerfering with the roots taking up water. Too "salty" of a nutrient can draw the water out of a plant. regarding watering... repeated wilting can really screw up growth, even if the plant seems to recover. Plants love a stable environment. Fluctuating water levels, Ph issues, and over/under feeding make it difficult to grow robust plants.

Top Bottom