Cloning gone all wrong attempt #5

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

It is finally raining here!!!! I have been running around collecting as much as I can off my roof tops. *Happy Dance*
We homestead, so we try to do as much as we can naturally, free and cheap.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I got a lil update of my own that might give you some hope lol. So I got a cutting of gorilla glue 5 weeks and a day ago from a friend, I stuffed into water and changed the water every few days. Went over 4 weeks with not a single sign of root action. Five days ago I was doin some clone experiments of my own and decided to go for broke with this old one and stuck it in a cup of pro mix and soaked it with light nute water. I use a bucket and clear drain pan as a humidity dome so I spray under the dome couple times a day. Today there is a root! 5 days after putting in pro mix. I thought this lil cut was toast but it just needed the right stuff! I gotta trim the old yucky leaves
20210727 122916
20210727 122957
20210727 122951

Lacey

Lacey

They call it monster cropping. You take a flowering cutting and the bud shoots out lots of new growth. It will be very bushy
Does it matter how long it was into flowering? I have a apple blossom strain that I want to keep going as I have only 1 plant of it and I can not find any beans for that strain.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

1. Take cutting
2. Place immediately into cup of water
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you have desired amount of cuttings in water
4. Dip stem end of cutting in rooting powder or cloned
5. Insert cutting into moist medium
6. Cut ends off leaves
7. Place containers into dome with heating pad underneath
8. Keep ambient room temp around 70-75
9. Spray cuttings when dome has little or no condensation
10. Burp dome ~3x a day.

I get 90% or better success rate doing this procedure. Make sure light is 24/7 and you also need to make sure light intensity is very low if intensity is too high they will try to cannibalize themselves from overphotosynthesizing.

BDH420

BDH420

1. Take cutting
2. Place immediately into cup of water
3. Repeat 1 and 2 until you have desired amount of cuttings in water
4. Dip stem end of cutting in rooting powder or cloned
5. Insert cutting into moist medium
6. Cut ends off leaves
7. Place containers into dome with heating pad underneath
8. Keep ambient room temp around 70-75
9. Spray cuttings when dome has little or no condensation
10. Burp dome ~3x a day.

I get 90% or better success rate doing this procedure. Make sure light is 24/7 and you also need to make sure light intensity is very low if intensity is too high they will try to cannibalize themselves from overphotosynthesizing.
I use a similar method, I now use a aero cloner instead of dome and heat mat. I highly recommend either building or buying an aero cloner.

Lilolme

Lilolme

In my opinion this is the easiest most effective way, I do nothing but the basics and root trash from the trim pile and have never had a failure
8CAC3378 1DB5 493B 84B8 7F3EBAAFFED9

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

Like you, I had many cloning failures as I got started (I'm still getting started, but finally have something that is working). I tried aeroponics, water only, water with clone solution, soil with clone powder, soil with clone gel, pods, etc.

The first thing I found is that you can't assume one strain will clone the same as another. Once I got a system down that works, I had roots on all of my Chocolate Hashberry in 7 days but my MAC and Big Mac took 2-3 weeks. The big trick with those that take longer is keeping the balance between rotting the stem and drying out. Aeroponics rotted everything before it had a chance to start rooting. Putting pods in the pod trays made it too likely that the pods touched the water below, making them too wet and they rotted as well.

What I found that is working for all strains is using a tray designed for rockwool cubes to keep the pods from touching water and being able to see the water level. I also invert the pods so that the wide part is at the bottom. This allows you to easily see roots as they appear, as well as making it simple to pick them up to look or move them.

I take all of my clippings longer than they need to be and place them directly in water, then do a cloning process later. Slice off the lowest node flush with the stem, cut your 45° through that node space, lightly scrape the stem just above the cut, dip into clone powder, dip into clone gel, place into clone pod.

Clipping the tips off of the fan leaves also helps keep them from getting too much energy from the light. We want the leaves to help keep the plant alive long enough to get roots, but we also need the plant to want to grow roots. I presoak the pods in a water and clonex solution, giving a good shake before cloning to get some oxygen in there. I leave them under a 24/7 cloning light on 1/2 power, but have an unplugged heat pad (you could use a towel) over the dome to prevent the direct light. I burp two or three times a day and use a straight water mister to wet the inside of the dome each time. Sometimes a pod may start to dry a little, so I will use the mister on that pod just enough to get it about 1/2 soaked.

20210729 104631

These Big Macs got a little fried when I forgot to put the dome and shade back on.
20210729 104509

Triple chocolate - I think it would root in a mud puddle. Super easy to clone.
20210729 104447

This is my dome covered to prevent the direct light before I plant the successful clones into soil.
20210729 104414

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Clonex is amazing, echoing the simplicity. Add nutrient to your cloner, dip your cut stems in the gel. Usually if everything is clean I won't even have to check pH, just keep topping it up and add more nutes when they start to pop roots.

I would definitely recommend their products.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i have taken them with a nice little dime sized flower, and i have one that was a bud almost ready to smoke. they both grew, and i love the way they get all crazy before they settle out and go back to being a cannabis plant!

This is what's left of the bud

It started like a small bud I cut off and rooted.
20210731 105744

20210731 105211

20210731 103940
20210731 105211
Lacey

Lacey

I will have to give it a try.
I am still having major issues with cloning. Part of it is because I got too busy to vent the clones and the moisture caused the clones to get mildew.
Out of the clone trays, I think 5 took root out of about 100.
The ones that are doing great are the ones I started in small dollar store pots with a baggie next to a window. I just have to make sure to vent them.

thatguy2001

thatguy2001

I will have to give it a try.
I am still having major issues with cloning. Part of it is because I got too busy to vent the clones and the moisture caused the clones to get mildew.
Out of the clone trays, I think 5 took root out of about 100.
The ones that are doing great are the ones I started in small dollar store pots with a baggie next to a window. I just have to make sure to vent them.
Be careful using a window as your light. I had a batch of tried clones start flowering immediately because me vinal windows blocked the uv rays.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Your better off with a squiggly cfl bulb 6 inches away from them, you don’t want to give them much light and definitely not in a window. You have a bad system for cloning especially puttin them in such a high humidity environment, your gonna have problems till you accept that

Crookey007

Crookey007

Here is what they look like. Any ideas?
I sent you a message. I have simplified it all for you. you have to put the clones in a small section of its on with its own 40w CFL light. It needs 6hours pure dark and 18hours CFL light. The temperature must be set at 22.4 to 23c degrees. I sent you a long message. If you have any questions let me know

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

Hey man...LOOKING GOOD as Chico would say to the Man...in fact, so good, you got roots growing all over your own face bro...good stuff.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

On a serious note...is that clone you have with all the roots dangling off of it...just curious as to why you are waiting so long to put in soil or medium? Seem to be ample roots by now no? I'm probably the worst cloner on Earth, so I'm just mouthing off...trying to learn.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

No doubt that getting good at cloning is a money saver for sure...especially nowadays where marijuana seeds are worth more than gold by weight. I recall buying ounces,1/4 pounds of gold & red Columbian bud...with more seeds than bud by weight...we'd toss seeds out there were so many...buying seeds was insane, just buy a bag of weed...unless of course it was Sinsemilla...now that was deemed magic pot because it was so potent. All's it was, is, is marijuana plants that haven't been fertilized yet. Not a lot of people knew that back in the old days. Now, everybody is an armchair botanist specializing in marijuana, kids whose parents were still babies when I firstr started smoking pot...damn, I'm old as the dirt I grow it in...maybe older.

Latest posts

Top Bottom