cloning in rapid rooters

• Thread starter KUSHMAN901
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KUSHMAN901

KUSHMAN901

when using rapid rooters for cloning i wanted to know if i had to soak them like you would rockwool or just use them straight out the pack

S

SB805KUSH

not sure but buddy used them with good results,he didnt pre soak, i think they're soaked in rooting solution???

S

saltr

I like to pre-soak with at least a little cal-mag, roots excel and RO water pHed using kelp and silica; some people like to use a beneficial tea and soak overnight. Just ensure to give a soft squeeze before inserting the cutting.

true grit

true grit

The Rapid Rooters have a little in them so not too much is needed for cloning. I use RO and roots excelerator. Drop them in the ph'd mix give em a squeeze or two to soak it up, then squeeze off the excess so its back to moist like outta the bag (slightly more moist).... you don't want it too wet!!!! Too wet will rot your stems...moist on edge of drying is where I get fastest roots. If they start looking dry which is obvious by color change of rooters, just mist the rooters with the ph'd RO+ roots excel mix.

JH420

JH420

^ is there much point in ph'ing the water?? We're not giving em any nutes so I'm not sure about that one.

B

brookky

All I do is use a little spring water to get them moist. Take the cutting dip in rooting gel or in rooting powder.Put the cutting in the rooter. Just keep the rooter moist and not soggy.I have at least 99% root every time.

true grit

true grit

^ is there much point in ph'ing the water?? We're not giving em any nutes so I'm not sure about that one.

Yeah I prefer the existing water in the rooters/tub to be ph'd as soon as roots show. Then the roots take off with in a day or two roots first showing. And as soon as the first roots do show I start feeding low. I'll also ph some kelp as a foliar while they are rooting too.

I

Indodro

I'm with brookky on this one. Use your rootinggel/powder and keep your RR moist and you'll have great success with your clones. I don't bother with pre soaking or any of that.

B

bendoslendo

I presoak with very mild nutes and root 66. Following Rapid rooter directions and seedling mat has given me close to 100% success since I switched to RR

J

jtmyzery2008

im using the rapid rooters also it's pretty much my first time cloning i would like to know how often should i mist them with a propagation top over them and should i have it vented open at all

T

tumbleweed

I do a slight pre-soak before planting, have had very good results with them. Usually have roots poking out in 5-7 days.

O

Oregonic

I love me some rapid rooters been hit 90% clones after switching to roters and clonex... took some Wednesday and all doing great, got the heat mat going and they should have shoots in the next day or so.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
im using the rapid rooters also it's pretty much my first time cloning i would like to know how often should i mist them with a propagation top over them and should i have it vented open at all

I only mist my babies several times from the time I put them in the dome til rooting. If you foliar feed too much, problems will follow. I leave my dome closed at all times, not vented. This is how I do it with 99.999% success every time. :D Even though, I might start trying some roots excel just for grins. Anyways..

I use distilled or RO water, Superthrive, Nitrozyme kelp, and FRESH Clonex gel(works much better than old, ime).

I soak the plugs for about 3-5 minutes in the solution of Nitrozyme Kelp, Superthrive, and water. I normally use 1-2 tsp of kelp/quart of water, so that's about 4-8 tsp of Nitrozyme kelp per gallon, also use 1/4 teaspoon of Superthrive per gallon water. Nice and strong as per directions.. This solution is also used as a foliar and re-wetting of plugs if they get too dry, which they normally will and should, at least once in my opinion. Store closed up in a milk jug. ;)

I then use a new razor and take my cuts, I like to very lightly scrap the outer layer of plant material near the cut area to expose fresh material, about 1/8-1/4 inch of green. Get a paper towel and lightly dry the scrapped area before sticking in gel. Once dry, stick in gel and leave the cutting in the gel for a couple of minutes, very important!! Take plug out of solution lightly squeeze to get most of solution out but still damp.

I use a toothpick to open to the RR whole up more, this will help so the cut does not get a damaged or bent stem and die prematurely. I then take a cutting out of gel, stick in opened hole in RR all the way to the bottom of plug, but not sticking out of bottom of course. I then foliar spray the cutting with the solution and stick in the dome under lights. I then will not foliar again until 24 hrs later only. After that second foliar, they really should not need anymore foliar sprays, only maybe a watering with the pre-made solution of their plugs when they get that light brown color. However, maybe after 3-4 days you can foliar again, if needed or makes ya feel better. However, reverse foliar feeding can happen especially with young plants that do not have or only have starter roots.

I like my temps to be 78-85F. I like to spray the clear dome inside top with just plain water to increase humidity, maybe pour 1/4 cup of water in dome trays to increase humidity, too.

5-7 days later, you'll have roots.

:passingjoint:

Top Bottom