• Thread starter StonedBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
I cloned some plants to identify sex.
Can I speed up the process by manipulating the light schedule?
The 12 hours of dark isn't a variable but how long a period of light is required?
Thanks in advance to those who respond.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey stoned , you mean that you want them in the dark longer do they will give you sex traits earlier ?

If thats the case they may give you hermi traits sooner ? I guess

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
What I'm wondering is if I shorten the day so I'm 6 on 12 off well that work

Nugg

Nugg

Never done it but seen a page about it..it's all the same time just split up...they say it's fine..but honestly I just waisted your time babbling about something I say I saw somewhere and have note facts to back it up...lmao.. interested tho..

Anthem

Anthem

about the only way I know to speed up the root process does not involve a change in light schedule. But adding a heating pad and some additional root hormone liquid a couple days in has shaved a few days off for me. From like 10 to maybe 6 days if I am lucky.

Nugg

Nugg

Never done it but seen a page about it..it's all the same time just split up...they say it's fine..but honestly I just waisted your time babbling about something I say I saw somewhere and have note facts to back it up...lmao.. interested tho..
Think I miss understood..speed up sexing..IDK about fresh clone but a 24-36 hr dark period before 12 on.is faster to see sex on plants.couple days.. again no facts to give...forget everything I said..I can't take it back..think I ate a bad gummy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You can’t speed up sexing. The plant will only show its sex when it’s mature and the plant is on its own timeline.
Ah, yes you can speed up sexing by putting the plant on 12/12 or 11/13 for 3-4 days and it will show sex and they will stretch out some. Males will show first ( in my experience) then back on 18/6 or 24 hrs will re-vert back to veg. It may take a while 2-3-4 weeks and the plant will grow trident leaves at first as they keep growing

I think what the OP wants is to take cuttings and sex them by putting them on vegging light schedule. Not sure why you can't do 12/12 but I believe it will work on 6/18 but it might take longer than 3-4 days. I've not done that but it takes me 2 weeks to root clones so I can't see the clones showing sex before that. I'm just rambling maybe someone thats been there done that can help.

4plant

4plant

Take your cuts and root them on 24h light. Once they have roots go 12/12 and wait. I’ve heard of guys rushing a flower cycle by reducing the dark period but keeping 12 hour lights on. 12on 8off I think it was? If you add I’d up you’ll gain 4 hours a day which becomes a full day every week so you might see sex a few days early.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Take your cuts and root them on 24h light. Once they have roots go 12/12 and wait. I’ve heard of guys rushing a flower cycle by reducing the dark period but keeping 12 hour lights on. 12on 8off I think it was? If you add I’d up you’ll gain 4 hours a day which becomes a full day every week so you might see sex a few days early.
I think that's backwards. 12 on 8 off won't cause flowering. The opposite might

4plant

4plant

Anything less than 14 hours should start flowering but yeah I might have that mixed up.

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Yes, trying to speed up sexing. I've accomplished that.
Let me clear something up though. I'm order to flower, the plant needs a certain amount of uninterrupted darkness. If you don't have 12 hours darkness it won't flower. (average strain, some will not need quite as much.) my question was simply if sexing the light so say 6 on 12 off should make it flower, correct? My understanding is that the length of light doesn't matter as long as it's not longer than the dark period. That's the theory behind planet ito, right?
Am I missing something?

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Yes, trying to speed up sexing. I've accomplished that.
Let me clear something up though. I'm order to flower, the plant needs a certain amount of uninterrupted darkness. If you don't have 12 hours darkness it won't flower. (average strain, some will not need quite as much.) my question was simply if sexing the light so say 6 on 12 off should make it flower, correct? My understanding is that the length of light doesn't matter as long as it's not longer than the dark period. That's the theory behind planet ito, right?
Am I missing something?

Your missing a bit but here’s an article that looks like it would help you

12 hrs darkness for the plant to start to produce the hormones required for flowering. We block some of these (I can’t remember the name of the one) when we use silver thiosulfate to create feminized pollen on female plants. Causing them to produce male sacks lacking male plant chromosomes. But it’s the darkness that makes the plant create the chemicals to trigger flowering. That’s all I think you missed really

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Your missing a bit but here’s an article that looks like it would help you

12 hrs darkness for the plant to start to produce the hormones required for flowering. We block some of these (I can’t remember the name of the one) when we use silver thiosulfate to create feminized pollen on female plants. Causing them to produce male sacks lacking male plant chromosomes. But it’s the darkness that makes the plant create the chemicals to trigger flowering. That’s all I think you missed really
That *was* my point. The plants need that 12 hours of dark or no flowering.
I just wanted to know if I could cut the light in half, ie 6 on 12 off. Giving enough darkness but saving me 6 hours a day. I expirimented. It worked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom