Cloning Power Or Gel

• Thread starter markkelly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

markkelly

Hi,

what is peoples results with using cloning powder or gel?

I

Indicas4me

I have been using the same bottle of shultz take root powder for 3 seasons now.Still got alot left,cant beat that for around $4.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Powder is old school bro. Gel is newer and better. Rootech cloning gel is great stuff. Pour a little into a shot glass, don't dip into the container.

phenotyper

phenotyper

I use Olivia's cloning gel with good results. I like to coat the stem, then dip in GW Mycorrhizae. But, I also soak my grodan cubes at ph 5.5, in liquid karma, B1 with 0-2-0, and some really light flower ferts. Almost never over 300 ppms.

T

trusmoker

try ROOT IT bro its a gel with a nozzel type bottle u just fill the hole in the jiffy/rockwool and leave it to set after an hour or 2 its goes rock hard an wont move for nothing lol
peace ts

M

markkelly

thanks for your answers,what made me ask the question is that i watched loads of videos on youtube,and everyone on there is saying if you use powder the clone will root faster than gel and there is more of a success rate than gel.iv got clonex already but i dont know whether to invest in some powder or not yet?

K

kd0afk

Friend of mine uses water in a glass and changes the water each day. And I think one of the active ingredients in rooting liquids is aspirin. My mom used to put a bayer aspirin in here flower vases to keep them alive longer.

B

Badmf

Powder or gel doesn't matter as much as having indole-3-butyric acid as an ingredient! Many popular solutions don't have it. Rootech, Clonex, Dip n Grow etc all have it.
Having a cloning mat (don't place tray directly on the mat!! it will melt!) or placing over flourescents on a shelf system speeds the process.

ncga

ncga

I used to use the gels 3 years ago and was not getting great results. I then switched to the rooting powders and got nearly 100% success.

WELL leave it up to the state of California to start banning rooting hormones in rooting agents. Having gone through my previous years supply of powder I have notice that the ingredients have changed. no more rooting hormone, only magnesium sulfur and calcium . All with a new name Rootboost . Tried to order some rooting hormone from out of state and was informed that it is no longer for sale in Cali. Glad I have friends out of state LOL.

Anyone else noticing reduced results ? Clones are taking up to 3 weeks to root. A trial with no rooting agent is working better.

nc

A

Axias

..or buy an aeroponic cloner and skip the rooting additives. Plenty of great DIY manuals for making one for about $60, or buy one for about a hundred. www.diynutes.com Check out the black and yellow cloner on ebay, i have a 3 page guide on cloning in the description.

indole butryic acid is the key ingredient in rooting hormones btw. You get a lot more bang for your buck with the powder, and the powder won't wash off easily- it tends to clump. Gels are simply the same stuff suspended in gelatin mixes.

B

Badmf

I use "Dip n' Grow" it's a concentrate and I mix according to cuts needs. Works great btw.

G

greenbastards

Powders for sure.... Gel's go bad... I hated using gel's. I take one set of cuttings, and then a month or so later i would open up the gel, and it would be molding. Now i use Supernatural's Root Burst Powder... The Indole 3 Butyric Acid is at 8%, which is the highest i've ever found...... Anyone know of any that's higher? And also, i bought a 6 oz package of it, and i still have it and its been over a year.

sedate

sedate

phenotyper said:
I use Olivia's cloning gel with good results. I like to coat the stem, then dip in GW Mycorrhizae. But, I also soak my grodan cubes at ph 5.5, in liquid karma, B1 with 0-2-0, and some really light flower ferts. Almost never over 300 ppms.

^^^ That's a great all around recipie.

badmf said:
Powder or gel doesn't matter as much as having indole-3-butyric acid as an ingredient

Agreed -

But for strength/cost ratio, I'm suprised no one here has mentioned Hormex.

http://www.hormex.com/

M

mikecrows

been using powder for years, no prob, i have 99% success rate. i slice mine under h2o to not get air in the main stem,lightly scrape or notch the stem, put powder in plastic shot glass, leave new cut about 2 inches in powder for 20 or so seconds then put into my pre wet soil (not soaked,as it can cause stem rot ) that i pre-poked a hole into so as not to rub much powder off. i leave them in darkness for 12 hrs then into my clear plastic cake container, u just never know when ingenuity strikes,under flourescents about "6-"8 away, mist them once evey 12 hrs or so with either straight h2o or 1/25th strength all purpose plant fert. i let them air for 1/2 hr at a time daily increasing time,i usually mist after i air them. then like the others said, it's cheap @ $5 a container and watch for roots in about 4-10 days. i like using clear plastic shot glasses to see when the roots r ready to transplant. WARNING: CLONING IS HABIT FORMING !!!!! LOL! good luck!

Top Bottom