Closed Column Pressure Extractor Problems

• Thread starter Oilyjoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Oilyjoe

i got a 2lb closed column extractor from best value vac and it's doing a strange thing, we pull a vacuum on it (29hg)and fill it with butane and let it soak for a few minutes, then I ease the valve open and it starts to flow good for a few secs then it starts sputtering, forcing me to close the valve for a minute and when I open it back up it flows for a sec then sputters, I tried running it like an open blast and once it was flowing I closed the top valve and it kept flowing the rest of the run. Not really sure what's going on but I think it's either the column is to warm bc I have no dry ice yet and can't fit the damn thing in my freezer so the tank can't put enough pressure into the column to keep it liquid at 60 deg. Or air got into it from the hose between the tank and column, even tho I vaced the hose I think the valve on the hose is loose, idk just hoping someone can shed some light on this maybe inform me of the pressure the tank is putting out vs pressure the tane needs to stay liquid and what I see on the gauge( after filing the column with tane it reads 15ish lbs) and what the dry ice can do for it. It's a 24 lb r600 tank maybe 30 lb

Graywolf

Graywolf

i got a 2lb closed column extractor from best value vac and it's doing a strange thing, we pull a vacuum on it (29hg)and fill it with butane and let it soak for a few minutes, then I ease the valve open and it starts to flow good for a few secs then it starts sputtering, forcing me to close the valve for a minute and when I open it back up it flows for a sec then sputters, I tried running it like an open blast and once it was flowing I closed the top valve and it kept flowing the rest of the run. Not really sure what's going on but I think it's either the column is to warm bc I have no dry ice yet and can't fit the damn thing in my freezer so the tank can't put enough pressure into the column to keep it liquid at 60 deg. Or air got into it from the hose between the tank and column, even tho I vaced the hose I think the valve on the hose is loose, idk just hoping someone can shed some light on this maybe inform me of the pressure the tank is putting out vs pressure the tane needs to stay liquid and what I see on the gauge( after filing the column with tane it reads 15ish lbs) and what the dry ice can do for it. It's a 24 lb r600 tank maybe 30 lb
As soon as you introduce liquid butane to the vacuum, and it turns to vapor, your vacuum is gone.

To keep it flowing, you need to deal with the vapor, either by pumping it away, or by condensing it back to a liquid.

When running passive, I typically start with frozen columns and material, to minimize vaporization and keep the lower collection tank subzero to condense vapors that are present.

H

honda power 420

Mine does that to. I'll fill mine with butane then toss it in a bucket of ice water let it soak for 10-15 mins then top it off with butane again. And while I'm blasting I run a can through the top or part of one at least.( I know your using solvent tanks same deal just connect your hose to the top). Mine will fill to 60 psi with canned butane and once it reaches 32-34 psi it starts to spit and sputter I just tilt it On an angle and let the pressure bypass the pan and the liquid falls straight down not agitating my oil.. get a pressure gauge it helps out a lot knowing what's going on with the pressure in your column

oleskool830

oleskool830

What do you want the pressure to be in the column? Thanks...
oleskool830

Top Bottom