Closet grow ventilation.

• Thread starter Kmosh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kmosh

Hey, i am currently working on setting up a 2x4 grow in a closet and dont really know how to vent the air out. I had thought of cutting a hole in the wall exhausting it into that hole, but the house is older and the walls are insulated with this wierd yellow foam insulation so i cannot really remove the insulation easily . I guess my question is, does this sound like a dumb idea to exhaust the air into the wall? My thinking was that it will find its way out somewhere.

First post here sorry if its in the wrong place.

tall boys

tall boys

Hey, i am currently working on setting up a 2x4 grow in a closet and dont really know how to vent the air out. I had thought of cutting a hole in the wall exhausting it into that hole, but the house is older and the walls are insulated with this wierd yellow foam insulation so i cannot really remove the insulation easily . I guess my question is, does this sound like a dumb idea to exhaust the air into the wall? My thinking was that it will find its way out somewhere.

You have a light fixture, in that closet ?

K

Kmosh

You have a light fixture, in that closet ?
No light fixture, i dont mind cutting a hole i can patch it before i leave. Im wondering what my biggest concern will be by exhausting into the wall.

tall boys

tall boys

No light fixture, i dont mind cutting a hole i can patch it before i leave. Im wondering what my biggest concern will be by exhausting into the wall.

Won't work .
Those are framed wall, and if it's a outside wall, it's insulated ....

K

Kmosh

You dont think i could just blow the air into the wall with the aluminum dryer vent stuff?My fans not to powerful, i just cant cut thru the outside wall.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You would be blowing humid warm air into an enclosed space. Mold!

The dryer vent should go right through to outside. Some growers tap into those.

basscaptain

basscaptain

cut a hole in the ceiling just make it look like a attic acess 2x2x2or 16"x16"x16" whatever is framed...... get a pice of door trim and trim out the hole, when done put the drywall back up.......

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

cut a hole in the ceiling just make it look like a attic acess 2x2x2or 16"x16"x16" whatever is framed...... get a pice of door trim and trim out the hole, when done put the drywall back up.......

Not good to vent to attic unless sure of ventilation.

basscaptain

basscaptain

Not good to vent to attic unless sure of ventilation.
for what he wants to do it's fine... if he thinks it would be a problem/ go to HD and buy a exhust fan for a bathroom and put it in... 40.00 with tubing and all and your 100% done

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes but to where? If the environment is dry enough it might be ok but if humidity builds up with no where to eacape......

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Attic will be fine .
It either has roof vents, or ridge vent .

All attic have one or the other .

How can you know the passive ventilation in the attic will be good enough? It would surely build up in my old converted cabin’s attick. I would need an exhaust fan up there.

tall boys

tall boys

How can you know the passive ventilation in the attic will be good enough? It would surely build up in my old converted cabin’s attick. I would need an exhaust fan up there.

In all fairness . I would have to see the attic, to know what's going on for sure ..

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I grow my seedlings in a 2 door walk in closet i moved the doors so there is a good opening at the other end, i used to grow in there and by running a fan the air was able to circulate and go out the end only problem was i could only grow 2 plants at a time, 2 big plants, this little set up wotked fine for a couple years then i bought a tent and only use the closet for seedlings.

basscaptain

basscaptain

I've been in the building trades, my whole adult life .
40 yrs here , 90% of any home that was build in the last 40 yrs it will work...... He didn't say a Cabin..... or a hill billy house :) he will be fine..... and for the hill billy set up like ME there's the 40$ option

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

if it is sheetrock in the closet ,go threw the roof exhaust into attic,only if it your house,i remodel and flip house,live in them as i work on them,sheet rock patch is easy and blends in good with a little texture and paint when your done,sofit around house will be the exhaust after that

Top Bottom