CMH/LED Combo in commercial cultivation

• Thread starter markyd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markyd

markyd

Hey Farmers,

I've been growing a while now, and have been experimenting with different lighting. My best runs in terms of perceived terpenes and resin production have been the ones with purely CMH. I suspect this is due to the UV that's not present in the LEDs I'm using (HLG). I have never done a combo run with both LED and CMH, but I have grown cuts from the same plants under both kinds of lighting independently.

I am starting a small cannabis cultivation here in OK. I'm starting out in a 18x40 space that I'll use full cycle for the first few runs, as I build out additional rooms. When looking at electric costs due to higher wattage fixtures and increased HVAC usage, it seems LED should be a part of my plan.

I think I want to go with a combo of CMH + LED, but I'm not sure how to size it out for my space. It's easy to size the room for just CMH or just LED, but I'm not sure how many I'd need for this space when it's a combo.

Let's say I do three rows, with 5 4x8 trays in each row (or 10 4x4 trays, depending on how you look at it). What would be the optimal layout for incorporating some 315w Cultilux CMHs in 3000k alongside an LED?

Additionally, I know LEDs require a much higher leaf surface temperature to work well. I believe this is due to lack of radiation coming from the diodes. So, would adding CMH (and thus UV radiation) negate that? If so, that's another factor, as I have to run the room significantly cooler than I would if it were all LED.

So many things to consider! I'd greatly appreciate some input from those "in the know."

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I dont have answers here but i am considering a small side by side with led and hps and have the same basic questions.

NorGrower

NorGrower

I'm not sure if you've considered this but would it not be easier to use all LEDs and supplement with small UV (and FR) lights? It seems to me that you'd dilute the little UV that CMHs emit by using additional LEDs alongside your CMHs. If the goal is to give the plants UV, I would consider using a standalone UV lamp/bar.

Top Bottom