CNN: Where are all the marijuana millionaires?

• Thread starter DWkush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DWkush

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/29/smallbusiness/marijuana_millionaires/

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- When Drew Brown first opened Abundant Healing, a medical marijuana dispensary that serves nearly 300 patients, he dreamed of early retirement to Costa Rica, where he would spend his days as a beach bum renting surfboards to tourists.

Then came a regulatory crackdown. Fifteen months later, Brown's business -- mired in red tape and compliance costs -- isn't the moneyspinner he imagined

D

DoobyScoo

Imagine a bunch of people who know nothing about cooking opening up a bakery?

squarepusher

squarepusher

millionaires are chilling not acting like millionaires

M

Mr Dank

Those who are in the industry for the $$$ are going to get burned

Those who are in the industry for the love of the plant will flourish

Dorje

Dorje

It ain't easy bein a gansta... ;-)

No shit. We are actually in a worse position that almost any other business owners in the state. I'm not sure too many people would have done this had they known. Here comes the guvment.... so BEND OVER PEOPLE!

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I would say they are out there but likely not in Colorado. I think there is too much competetion here for dispensaries to make huge money.

C

ChickenJoe

I hope every resturant owner, used car salesman, etc that got in this business for the money lose everything. This is a business for people that love the plants.

N

nightrampage

the people making millions are the people doing it in illegal ways.. in places where it's illegal.

i agree do it for the love.. people growing for profit only.. don't make profit

D

DoobyScoo

No shit. We are actually in a worse position that almost any other business owners in the state. I'm not sure too many people would have done this had they known. Here comes the guvment.... so BEND OVER PEOPLE!

I dunno? I kinda thunk that might happen.:evilgrin0040:

M

Mr Dank

Ever since the gov't forced dispensary owners into opening large 100k+ grow operations, places like Kansas are now flooded with colorado warehouse garbage. These mmc's cant' sell their beasters in shops, so they are now shipping them out of state for $3k/lb, and people from out of state are the ones cashing in

Nice work there Colorado....

S

SoCoMMJ

Ever since the gov't forced dispensary owners into opening large 100k+ grow operations, places like Kansas are now flooded with colorado warehouse garbage. These mmc's cant' sell their beasters in shops, so they are now shipping them out of state for $3k/lb, and people from out of state are the ones cashing in

Nice work there Colorado....

I think the best response to your rant about hating on MMC comes best from from your very own words, "so you judge the whole state by the actions of a few people?

how genius "

I'm pretty sure that more than a few people on here work for, or own dispensaries. None of them are slinging "beasters" from what they have been posting here.

Welcome to the Farm...try not to be a hater.

M

Mr Dank

I'm not hating on MMC's, but it is a fact that ever since the 70/30 rule, the market has been flooded with mediocore (or beasters) quality buds at $2500/lb. Those aren't coming from the 2k closet grows

Blaze

Blaze

Those who are in the industry for the $$$ are going to get burned

Those who are in the industry for the love of the plant will flourish

Unfortunately, (very unfortunately) from what I have seen here in Cali, the exact opposite is true. The people who are in it "for the love of the plant" sometimes end up broke and out of business because they often cannot turn a profit or get taken advantage of. If you don't pay attention to your bottom line, it won't matter how enthusiastic you are, how much you love the plant, or how good a grower you are, because you won't be able to pay your bills. Not saying I agree with it, but greedy people do to tend to have more money....

eyecandi

eyecandi

I'm not hating on MMC's, but it is a fact that ever since the 70/30 rule, the market has been flooded with mediocore (or beasters) quality buds at $2500/lb. Those aren't coming from the 2k closet grows

it's been flooded with mediocre from the edibles manufacturers for months now and makes it harder to get a decent price for grade A. there are also a lot of MMCs with crappy grows and/or growers, period. lot's of people with $$ and no grow experience, or screwed their good growers and screwed themselves thinking they could do it. either way, imo, the market is also starting to weed itself out a bit like any businesses. if you can't run a biz, you can have the best shit in the world and still fail miserably.

Latest posts

Top Bottom