• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Ok farm,

This is by no means an advanced technique or a problem. I just didn’t know where to post it.

Now, the curiosity got me going. The question on my mind is about a classic, yeast and sugar rig. Which probably we all have stumbled upon in our researches.

One gets a big tub with a lid, fills it with sugar and water then adds yeast and seals it to produce co2. This process also produces ethanol as a by-product. Thats why beer and wine makers are using this type of fermentation for their processes.

I also stumbled upon something called aerobic respiration. Which doesn’t seem to produce the unwanted ethanol so it seems like a better way to produce co2. The by-product being just water and co2.

Now, i’m sure we have some chemists on board and some biologists too, we cannot be all dreamers, artist and visionaries :)

If anyone wants to enlighten me and the farm on the subject, it would be much appreciated.

The question on my mind is, if i use a big airstone at the bottom of my tub and push air into the mixture, rather than sealing it, would it produce more co2 for a longer period with the same amount of sugar? Or what would be the difference in the terms of co2 production?

Now i know that an aquarium pump cannot saturate the water with oxygen to the extend that only aerobic respiration takes place. But still the question is valid i think. Why do all use anaerobic respiration to produce co2? It is a process to produce alcohol after all. Which is toxic. Also the process seems lot less efficient compared to aerobic respiration. At least to a layman.

Mind you, i’m not trying to reach 1000ppm or anything. Its just about providing a little boost to my plants residing in a less than optimally ventilated room but still would like to use the best and most efficient process for it.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Adding CO2 only matters if all other inputs to photosynthesis are maxxed. Plants can't use additional CO2 unless they are saturated with light and good nutes.

H

Highkev

935E0CE0 1747 47FC 97F3 B1A2D77FA419
I aim for perfection but haven’t gotten enuff money for an official co2 system. I seen this thing at the hydro shop. Was told it would help but not provide accurate 1000 ppm. He actually said your same exact words “it will add a little boost”. Thought I would mention it but I’m sure you’ve seen them before.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
View attachment 856867 I aim for perfection but haven’t gotten enuff money for an official co2 system. I seen this thing at the hydro shop. Was told it would help but not provide accurate 1000 ppm. He actually said your same exact words “it will add a little boost”. Thought I would mention it but I’m sure you’ve seen them before.

Yeah i know those bags but a cheap sugar yeast rig should be enough for me at the moment. Plus i don’t want to keep buying new bags constantly. Are you happy with them?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Adding CO2 only matters if all other inputs to photosynthesis are maxxed. Plants can't use additional CO2 unless they are saturated with light and good nutes.

Please read my question bro.

H

Highkev

Yeah i know those bags but a cheap sugar yeast rig should be enough for me at the moment. Plus i don’t want to keep buying new bags constantly. Are you happy with them?
Can’t tell I’m too new. Don’t have enuff hands on experience to be able to tell the difference. My room needs to be dialed in better to take advantage of the co2. Currently my exhaust system is on non stop so I can imagine it just sucks it out anyway lol. I’m getting new timers soon for multiple things including my exhaust fan so maybe I’ll notice a difference once that is nipped in the butt. And I believe mine is overdue to get a new bag.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Can’t tell I’m too new. Don’t have enuff hands on experience to be able to tell the difference. My room needs to be dialed in better to take advantage of the co2. Currently my exhaust system is on non stop so I can imagine it just sucks it out anyway lol. I’m getting new timers soon for multiple things including my exhaust fan so maybe I’ll notice a difference once that is nipped in the butt. And I believe mine is overdue to get a new bag.

Thats what i hate, keep buying bags and replacements fillers.
If its not completely sealed than its impossible to achieve high ppms but a “little boost” is probably achieved.
Even with a simple sugar yeast rig, i notice a perking up with my plants. They grow better and faster.
I’m aerating my solution at the moment, i did that last time too. Just want to know which one is better but i guess we are really all artist and dreamers.

The Jewels

The Jewels

Dont knock the fermentation, CO2 was the byproduct, as was alcohol.
Aerobic is tricarbox. - does not yield CO2

You can diy a CO2 bag , it is compost.
Oatmeal will extend CO2 recipes
Oversugaring will shorten lifespan .

,,,most of this stuff I just made up, from concepts and observations I dont completely understand .

Judiciously - Measurements are your friend .
With a CO2 metre you would know the output .
One cannot judge the result of the effort without gauging the production .

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Dont knock the fermentation, CO2 was the byproduct, as was alcohol.
Aerobic is tricarbox. - does not yield CO2

You can diy a CO2 bag , it is compost.
Oatmeal will extend CO2 recipes
Oversugaring will shorten lifespan .

,,,most of this stuff I just made up, from concepts and observations I dont completely understand .

Judiciously - Measurements are your friend .
With a CO2 metre you would know the output .
One cannot judge the result of the effort without gauging the production .

Ok thanks for oatmeal and compost idea. Will also utilize.

On the other hand, according to my research, respiration of yeast does produce co2 and water. Since no alcohol is produced yeast doesn’t die.

The thing is i am not a biologist or chemist and i can’t decipher all the information present. Now i know respiration is a complete process which yields more ATPs (whatever the hell they are) compared to fermentation. And it breaks down all the glucose while fermentation is an incomplete process.

What i wonder about is that, since its a more efficient process would it produce more co2.

I got a 6 gallon bucket filled 3/4. Yeah a co2 meter would be a blessing but they are not cheap and i can see that my plants really benefit from the rig i made. So that will have to do for now.

Also mere aeration of the solution with an aquarium pump is not enough to provide oxygen to encourage respiration of a 4 gallon solution but it doesn’t seem like it hurts either. If anything it releases the co2 from the solution without me shaking it.

Top Bottom