CO2 from brewing mead???

• Thread starter PaulB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PaulB

PaulB

Hi everyone! I'm grateful to be here! I’m new to this forum and new to growing in general. I've got a good veg tent going and I'm just starting to work on setting up a flower tent.

My question is this: I do mead making (honey wine) and I'd like to capture the CO2 for my flower tent. Can anyone offer advice or direct me to articles that can help me do this right? Thank you so much, I appreciate any and all input.

PaulB

PaulB

@LittleDabbie, thanks for the reply. I have closed ventilation around the light and I expected to keep the air around the plants circulating, yet sealed in a standard 4x4x7ft tent, but you're saying that it’s still not worthwhile to try to add CO2 because it will escape the tent? I admit I'm surprised. Wouldn’t the tent contain it well enough for the plants to make use of it?

PaulB

PaulB

Hmm, interesting. I still might not give up the idea, silly though it may be. I figure I have the CO2 bubbling away right there in the same room with my grow tents anyway and with multiple brews going, I figure I'd be capable of adding CO2 at a faster rate than it could escape.

Things I want to iron out is when and how much CO2 to add and how to filter the outgassing from my brews such that I'm only adding CO2 and not a bunch of random junk.

Thanks for your attention

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello and welcome, why do you feel you need supplemental CO2?

PaulB

PaulB

@Beachwalker, my wife and I are entirely new to growing and a little overwhelmed by how much there is to learn. To divvy up the work, she takes care of everything inside the pot (seeds, soil, training, etc) and I'm working on everything outside the pot (tent, light, ventilation, etc)

When I told her that I'd gotten a 1000w hps light for the flower tent, she said that she was learning that light and CO2 work together for photosynthesis and that a light that bright could use supplementary CO2. I thought, "How convenient! I'm ducting CO2 out of my brew setup anyway, why don’t I just pump it into the tent?" So that’s how the idea got started.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

if you can pump it in go for it!! sure won't hurt anything. do you get a lot of flies hanging around during fermentation?

PaulB

PaulB

@bigdaddy8, I attach little hoses to the air locks on top of each carboy and then run them out a window so flies aren’t attracted. It works pretty well, as long as I stay on top of it and nothing gets too foamy or weird.

PaulB

PaulB

@Beachwalker, yes the light is dimmable. Still in the box is a Phantom II dimmable ballast. I can’t wait to play with it.....

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

@Beachwalker, yes the light is dimmable. Still in the box is a Phantom II dimmable ballast. I can’t wait to play with it.....

Hey that's a great light have fun with it!
I've done what you're contemplating regarding the CO2 I used to brew beer back in the 90s and I also used to bubble a concoction of yeast and sugar and had a hose bringing it to the ceiling and like little dabbie said it just went everywhere but maybe an a tent it's a better containment than I had I don't know

But even if I could contain it unless the environment that I was growing in needed increased levels of CO2 it's absolutely of no value anyway, but hey it's already bubbling so why not give it a try and keep us posted on your success best of luck!

PaulB

PaulB

@Beachwalker, when you pumped your beer gas onto the plants, did you filter it at all?

I can’t smell CO2, but I can smell whatever else is coming off my mead and I don’t want it leaving a baked residue on my light reflector.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

@Beachwalker, when you pumped your beer gas onto the plants, did you filter it at all?

I can’t smell CO2, but I can smell whatever else is coming off my mead and I don’t want it leaving a baked residue on my light reflector.
I did not, and I can't recall if it had a smell or not sorry

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

@bigdaddy8, I attach little hoses to the air locks on top of each carboy and then run them out a window so flies aren’t attracted. It works pretty well, as long as I stay on top of it and nothing gets too foamy or weird.
doesn't the co2 come out the airlock during fermentation .thats what i though you were getting your co2 from? attach little hoses to the air locks on top of each carboy and then run them into the tent?

PaulB

PaulB

Hi folks, I’m sorry I pretty much abandoned this thread for so long. My living situation got completely disrupted for a while and I haven’t had time or place for growing or brewing, but Hooray! Things are much better now and I finally have something to show. I've got some Northern Lights in their third week of flower and just outside the tent, in a little niche, there’s a bunch of gallon jugs where I'm fermenting mead for the CO2. That red thing is a fan that clicks on when the light comes on and pushes the CO2 into the tent. I haven’t tried to filter the air going in yet other than to put a screen over the fan to keep bugs and dog hair out. I’m not at all an experienced grower, so idk if the buds are growing better for the CO2, but things are looking good. What I haven’t figured out is how much fermentation I should have going to make the best environment for the plants. I may have to subject myself to math, darn.

Cheers,
Paul

DE87BBCB 71B3 4B63 880C 8FB20F3238E5
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
Awesome!! I make mead as well. Have a N. Lights in 5th week flower too!!!!
Perhaps if all the carboys were in their own small tent/ container and then exhausted into the flower tent periodically. You would capture all of it instead of loss to the surrounding environment. Experiment with it, tried just sugar water and yeast one grow, tubes from bottles to plants. IDK if it made a real difference, but was still some fire buds. What types do you have fermenting??

Latest posts

Top Bottom