CO2 from brewing mead???

• Thread starter PaulB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PaulB

PaulB

Perhaps if all the carboys were in their own small tent/ container and then exhausted into the flower tent periodically. You would capture all of it instead of loss to the surrounding environment. Experiment with it, tried just sugar water and yeast one grow, tubes from bottles to plants. IDK if it made a real difference, but was still some fire buds. What types do you have fermenting??

I like the tent idea. I’m still figuring out the best way to do this. I’m sure the fan I’m using captures all the CO2, but it’s so strong I think it may push the CO2 right out the top of the grow tent before it’s fully utilized, idk.

I have a few different kinds of mead brewing down there and I expect to add some more this weekend. There’s a fruit mead or "melomel" made with blueberry and oranges, a "pyment" made with honey and grape juice (my wife's favorite) and three different recipes of maple mead or "acerglyn". My intention is to make a tincture with some of the bud I'm growing and then add it to the mead before bottling. If all goes well, I'll have some cannabis maple mead to give out as presents next Christmas.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

MOAR MEAD!!!!!!
All seriousness though you should probably use a good filter if you are going to cycle in co2 from an organic living source like yeast/beer/wine/mead/alcohol/ compost. While fungi are good for plant soil they arent so good for plant leaves and that co2 released from mead may contain some FUNGI and that stuff growing on your plant leaves and flowers wouldnt be so much fun, guy.
If you arent worried about the occasional fungi outbreak out of the blue, go for it. If you cant afford to lose a crop, hold the line.

Also regarding whoever said not to put it in thierecuz it will just escape... think of it like this,

if a tire with a leak can still hold air for a small amount of time, and you had your own free tire inflator in your vehicle just sitting there and you cant afford to get a new tire or in this case a crazy complicated and often times hazardous downright dangerous co2 setup, would you prefer to just run flat or fill it up as needed wasting air but saving precious dollars. OP said his light could benefit from CO2, and hhe has co2 as a biproduct of a already occurring hobby in his home, surely this is a good use of it even if it isnt effective to most. Its not like hes literally making mead as a biproduct for CO2, hes already got the mead on deck, its not like hes going out of his way. More power to you bro, just be careful about fungis making their way into your grow room with the CO2.

I used to make DIY co2 for my aquariums using rotting kitchen fruit and leftover bread and yeast, always wondered if the end mix was edible, only on few occassions did I have the balls to try it.
Always wanted to progress that form of dangerous tasting kitchen composting for my aquarium when I couldnt afford an official co2 setup into something more of a hobby like beerbrewing, meadmaking or winecraft. Will keep your post in mind for future.
ButIn the meantime,
King Robert demands your finest recipes.
PM me or his majestys flying spacemonkeys will be sent to confiscate your mead and weed shortly.
Le kingah has quiet an extravagent taste for Moar Mead and Moar Weed.

Last edited:
M0nStarNuggety

M0nStarNuggety

Supporter
I like the tent idea. I’m still figuring out the best way to do this. I’m sure the fan I’m using captures all the CO2, but it’s so strong I think it may push the CO2 right out the top of the grow tent before it’s fully utilized, idk.

I have a few different kinds of mead brewing down there and I expect to add some more this weekend. There’s a fruit mead or "melomel" made with blueberry and oranges, a "pyment" made with honey and grape juice (my wife's favorite) and three different recipes of maple mead or "acerglyn". My intention is to make a tincture with some of the bud I'm growing and then add it to the mead before bottling. If all goes well, I'll have some cannabis maple mead to give out as presents next Christmas.
That's Awesome!! I don't see to many know the proper names for the variations of mead. My wife's fav was the Pomegranate Clover melomel I made like 8 yrs ago. Hhhmm I may have to see what I have on hand and pull out a few carboys, haven't made some in a few years. Got all my Grandpa's brewing equipment now, wanted to try my hand at a braggot.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

Just over four weeks in the flower tent. The CO2 certainly hasn’t hurt them any. Oh and I misspoke above, this is Purple Haze, not Northern Lights.
Jimmy Hendrix would be salivating. Good work. Any issues with the co2 or mold problems so far? My only concern with diy co2 is the mold issue as I myself have had that problem in the past in an aquarium setting. The catfish and chili rasboras loved to eat it so it wasnt a concern really but, in a grow tent it could get out of control and is something you want to watch out for religiously.
Keep us updated, big papi.
We can all use some moar mead and weed in our diets.

PaulB

PaulB

So the final word on this grow is, after everything was harvested, hung to dry and all usable bud cut, trimmed and put into jars to cure for three weeks, I have 23.4oz From a 4x4ft grow. I’m pretty happy with that!

PaulB

PaulB

So the final word on this grow is, after everything was harvested, hung to dry and all usable bud cut, trimmed and put into jars to cure for three weeks, I have 23.4oz From a 4x4ft grow. I’m pretty happy with that!
[/QUOTE
Edit: checking out the buds, they still have a ways to go before they’re really dry, so I imagine I’ll lose maybe some ounces in water, but looking forward to making tincture from some of this and adding it to the mead in hopes of a very merry Christmas.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

Is that more, less, or about the same as your previous grows without the Mead CO2 supplementation. Im considering doing something similar to this in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom