CO2 Infused Room, Calcium Deficiency Help??

• Thread starter bigdust69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigdust69

Hi Guys,

One for the experienced sealed room grower?

We have a 8000w flower room, sealed, air con, infused with bottled CO2. PPM 1500 of CO2 when lights on. When we move our plants into the CO2 enriched flower room from a non sealed CO2 enriched environment vegative grow room our plants goto shit!!! Our plants wilt, stop drinking and go deficient in calcium and nitrogen. We have been using fabric bags (geopots) and deficiency lasts about 2 weeks while getting used to the new CO2 enriched flower room. (lots of foliar spraying with organic calmag to get everything healthy again) We changed to black plastic pots and same thing happened except not as nearly as bad maybe 30 percent of fabric bag issue. ????

I have grown in sealed rooms for years only difference to this room:

Using Coco as a medium????

We have had to spray for broad mite in vegative stage then introduce predator bugs for this room as broad mite has become a huge issue in our area recently. Phototoxity from foliar spray residue mimicking calcium deficiency ????

I have many friends using coco as a medium in sealed rooms with no dramas.

Any suggestions?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Are you turning down the lights? What are you vegging under? Is there a big humidity difference between veg and flower?

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

I've been sealed co2 for almost 5yrs now. I go from no co2 veg to sealed co2 w/o issues.

You said you use a bottle vs a burner. If your using a burner I'd say it's from an improper burn from the burner.

Do you exhaust your night time air for fresh o2 air vs co2 air? This could be your problem.

Imo, pots are just that, pots. They hold a medium for your plant. Plastic, wood, fabric, shouldn't matter. Medium would matter more than pot construction.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Next round add some cal mag a week before moving. Plants are pigs during stretch so increasing the feed just before flip helps ensure they boom in stretch without issue. If plants are stressed from bugs etc. Before flip it can impact them especially during stretch while demands are the highest. That would explain why after 2 weeks they improve.

As for CO2 I would cut back to 1200ppm I used to run 1500ppm and cutting back to 1200ppm made no difference.

As @cemchris was asking. Changing temp and RH could largely impact the plants as its changing transpiration and nutrient uptake.

B

bigdust69

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies:

All your points are valid, to cover off on them:

Lighting system is not different from vegative room to flower room.

We use food grade CO2 out of a bottle with regulator and controller so that should be fine.

Environmental difference between vegative room and flower room yes but we have tried a few different strategies as follows:

1st time we used the room we took them from veg room potted them up into their new pots them put then in the flower room with CO2 PPM @ 1200 and they suffered the worst symptoms using fabric bags.

2nd time we took them from the veg room potted them up into their new pots then put them in the flower room with low CO2 PPM @800 but still suffered for the next two weeks using fabric bags.

3rd time we veged the plants in the flower room, potted them up kept vegging for two more weeks, turn the lights back to 12/12 turned on CO2 PPM@1200 and they suffered the same fate except no where near as bad about 20% damage compared to the 1st time. These plants were in plastic pots.

Each time they all recovered but we loose about 2 weeks time while they recover from this issue

We use full range House & Garden nutrient line including extra cal mag every feed through this period. We foliar every second day with organic calmag during the generative period so we are not short on calcium but this still happens.

We don't vent the room in-between lights on / lights off but I've never had this issue before not doing it in other rooms.

When spraying for bugs we always wait at least a week before flipping the plants into flower.

Each run has had different genetics, so it can't be that.

I'm at my wits end with this one?? Never happened before just this room.

Thanks again.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That makes sense because you gave time for them to recover after up potting before flip. I still feel it's something with the plant health at flip just being off a bit. It's not the room or the CO2. Are you changing nutrients or adding pk boost at flip?

B

bigdust69

Hey Aqua Man,
Yeah we thought also the potting up and moving straight into the room was an issue.And did help leaving them to veg longer. No change in nutrient regime when we flip. House and Garden we use just base a+b , root stim, multizyme, cal mag, drip clean. What about phototoxity and CO2 enrichment? Know much about that? Could it be burn from phototoxity from residual pest spray? looking like calmag deficiency?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey Aqua Man,
Yeah we thought also the potting up and moving straight into the room was an issue.And did help leaving them to veg longer. No change in nutrient regime when we flip. House and Garden we use just base a+b , root stim, multizyme, cal mag, drip clean. What about phototoxity and CO2 enrichment? Know much about that? Could it be burn from phototoxity from residual pest spray? looking like calmag deficiency?
I'm not sure how CO2 would affect it. Do you have some pics of what your seeing? It might have some clues as to what's going on. I know CO2 can cause a lot more humidity which can slow down nutrient uptake. But the fact it only last for 2 weeks makes that sound unlikely.

W

Wairoa246

Old posts, but I am sure someone else will be looking for this information,,,, What happened here is that the respiration has become so efficient with elevated co2 that the leafs pores {stomata} contract, inturn the water efficiency is greatly increased,,, the result is the plant is Transpiring less= Less Nutrient UPTAKE,,,, Calcium is especially affected as its immobile so,,, it is actually pulled in with the water unlike salts that are absorbed using positive and negative charges,,, the roots can actually suck the salts out of the water around the roots or Solution leaving behind water that is high in immobile nutrients such as calcium, this can cause all sorts of issues such as ph or even lockout depending on the media,,, Solution: increase your EC to match the lower transpiration rate, I found my plants use 3x less water in co2 tent,,, i went from 2ec to 3.5ec,,, I hope this helps someone maybe someone can even come up with a co2 focused Nute system

Top Bottom