CO2 Use in a closed loop system

• Thread starter ILMedFarmer84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ILMedFarmer84

ILMedFarmer84

I need some guidance on my co2 for my closed loop setup. It's my second grow and my first was an open loop with air intake from the outside. With the temperatures getting to extremes, I decided to seal it up and go closed loop with a co2 tank for grow 2. I have the tank, regulator, and monitor with the tube ran up behind a fan on the wall with the thought it will blow out and fall onto the plants, as it is heavier than air.

My question is my carbon filter and exhaust. I have read many different methods but I want to hear a consensus from folks with experience who have got good results in a closed loop with co2. So, as of now I have it come on and "scrub" the air for 15 minutes, 7 times a day. Should I be running it nonstop? I have also read to exhaust it OUTSIDE the room and replenish co2 levels afterwards? Again just looking for some input!!! HELP!

Thanks fellow growers!!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I don’t exhaust anything. I’m in the tents for at least 15 minutes every day with the CO2 off and have an 8” carbon filter running 24x7 but just for smell and air movement. Has no impact on tent gasses.

You can keep your tent sealed for a week with no external gas exchange with no problem. Just turn off the CO 2 at night

ILMedFarmer84

ILMedFarmer84

I don’t exhaust anything. I’m in the tents for at least 15 minutes every day with the CO2 off and have an 8” carbon filter running 24x7 but just for smell and air movement. Has no impact on tent gasses.

You can keep your tent sealed for a week with no external gas exchange with no problem. Just turn off the CO 2 at night

Appreciate the input, it's an actual

Much love, appreciate the info. I have a sealed room approx. 8x16, and I also have an 8 inch carbon filter. You run that full power 24x7? That's what I did with the open loop per the cubic square feet of my room and the recommend cfm on the fan, however, I hear a carbon filter lowers that some. With the closed loop I was trying to conserve that power usage a little bit and only run intermittently throughout the day. Sounds like I might need to just keep that going 24x7 to keep the air "fresher?" Smell isn't a huge issue, but I know the importance of air quality. You mean no CO2 during a dark period right? They don't utilize the co2 when it's dark. I like a 24 hour veg and only dark when move to flower and 12/12. That's when I would need to shut it off.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Appreciate the input, it's an actual

Much love, appreciate the info. I have a sealed room approx. 8x16, and I also have an 8 inch carbon filter. You run that full power 24x7? That's what I did with the open loop per the cubic square feet of my room and the recommend cfm on the fan, however, I hear a carbon filter lowers that some. With the closed loop I was trying to conserve that power usage a little bit and only run intermittently throughout the day. Sounds like I might need to just keep that going 24x7 to keep the air "fresher?" Smell isn't a huge issue, but I know the importance of air quality. You mean no CO2 during a dark period right? They don't utilize the co2 when it's dark. I like a 24 hour veg and only dark when move to flower and 12/12. That's when I would need to shut it off.

Part of what needs to happen here is the underside of the leaf needs to have good air flow for that CO2 to do anything for you. My canopy is so dense that I have multiple fans running constantly. I have the carbon filter at the bottom of the tent pushing air to the top where it gets further recirculated by top fan, AC, Humidifier, etc. I also have 2 fans below the canopy stirring on the bottom.

I have no idea how much power that all uses, it's just not something I am concerned with. If I was, I might slow things down and turn some of this off at night. That kinda happens anyhow as the lights go off, temp drops, AC quits blowing...

At it's core, what we indoor farmers are doing is converting electricity into cannabinoids. There are of course diminishing returns, but in general the more power you put in the more gets converted to weed.

Top Bottom