Cobs, Quantum Boards, Strips And Pucks, Drivers, Heatsinks.... Where To Begin?

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I've been under hps for the past two years. i use t8 and blurples for veg. I'm ready to jump into the deep end with some new lighting and I'm not quite sure which route to go. Been researching a bit. Looking thru the diaries at other farmers' lighting tech. Pricing different combinations and trying to decide how to set up. I'm trying to take in all considerations when swapping over to LED. I'm hoping to hear about everybody's experiences and reviews. Anybody who cares to share ideas or learning experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

And where is the best deal. LED ain't cheap! I can assemble, no issue. It's sourcing the materials. Where do I start? Any literature with simple guidelines on how to match the driver to LED and such.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

There is another thread on here that I posted that has an excellent video by a guy in the industry. The net-net is that there is about a 40-45% efficiency advantage for good LED over HPS. It's a math exercise whether that makes financial sense for you. There is the added point that LEDs don't wear out like HID bulbs do, so you lose that expense, too. You get a lot of choice out of LEDs as far as spectrum goes.

I have grown to harvest with blurples, gotten excellent weed from the process. I recently upgraded to quantum boards, just starting with those. Out of the gate, they look awesome. All the chatter I hear is that quantums are the best choice currently.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

+1 for quantum boards. HLG QB288 v2 to be exact. Great bang for your buck and the results speak for themselves.
Are these the individual boards? What kind of coverage from each board? I need to consider two separate 2'x4' flower tents. Three boards for each tent? When wiring multiple boards, how do I match the driver to number of boards? So many questions. Anybody working with Chilled LED products?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Are these the individual boards? What kind of coverage from each board? I need to consider two separate 2'x4' flower tents. Three boards for each tent? When wiring multiple boards, how do I match the driver to number of boards? So many questions. Anybody working with Chilled LED products?

https://growerslights.com/collectio...hting-group-260-watt-xl-quantum-board-led-kit

This is what I’m using in a 2x5 space. You could go with the three board kit or buy this one and add a third to it if needed. The heatsink has a spot in the middle for a third board. You’d just need to get a bigger driver to push all three on one driver.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

https://growerslights.com/collectio...hting-group-260-watt-xl-quantum-board-led-kit

This is what I’m using in a 2x5 space. You could go with the three board kit or buy this one and add a third to it if needed. The heatsink has a spot in the middle for a third board. You’d just need to get a bigger driver to push all three on one driver.
Are you flowering with just the boards in that space? Does it cover effectively? Think third board would be overkill? Height from canopy with the boards? Sorry bout all the Q's.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Are you flowering with just the boards in that space? Does it cover effectively? Think third board would be overkill? Height from canopy with the boards? Sorry bout all the Q's.

Yes I’m flowering with just two in my 2x5 space. Three might be a little overkill but it’s up to you. In a 2x4 space I think two boards would be perfect. I run mine 12” above my tallest buds or about 15” from canopy. I run my 260w rig at about 170-180watts from the wall.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

So anybody ever deal with Alibaba? I'm seeing all the components I want, but not sure about how to order or inquire. Reliability and what's the deal with bin numbers? Who's got the understanding on those numbers?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
With alibaba you can sometimes make a purchase right on the site or you may need to request a quote. Typically single item orders can be placed right there. Shipping is usually a tad expensive and you’ll be waiting for several weeks to get your items. If you can buy multiple parts from one supplier it can save you on shipping.

eBay can sometimes be a good alternative or amazon if it’s available. You’ll typically pay a little more but may end up getting them much quicker and without having to deal with import duties. Plus you’ll have a bit more protection in the event you don’t get what you paid for.

Also sometimes the quality on alibaba can be sketchy. They are well known for selling knock offs and using pictures of other people’s products to do so.

It really all depends on how much you want to save and how willing you are to roll the dice. Some things are safer than others. Electronics is one area that is notorious for poor quality, fakes and hassles. But not always.

If you were going to purchase a plastic item or a glass pipe you might be just fine.

I’ve had ok results and I’ve bought complete garbage from there. Often times it’s more of a hassle to try and return something than to just throw it away.

Not trying to steer you away from there by any means you just have to consider the risks and hassle when dealing with Chinese based companies. They don’t get paid enough to care about some American half way across the planet.

Dan789

Dan789

So anybody ever deal with Alibaba? I'm seeing all the components I want, but not sure about how to order or inquire. Reliability and what's the deal with bin numbers? Who's got the understanding on those numbers?
I bought a nice lab style mid range microscope, trinocular view with hdmi camera. Solid and well worth the money, transaction went off smoothly, shipping thought about $35 but Ok considering everything worked out...

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

With alibaba you can sometimes make a purchase right on the site or you may need to request a quote. Typically single item orders can be placed right there. Shipping is usually a tad expensive and you’ll be waiting for several weeks to get your items. If you can buy multiple parts from one supplier it can save you on shipping.

eBay can sometimes be a good alternative or amazon if it’s available. You’ll typically pay a little more but may end up getting them much quicker and without having to deal with import duties. Plus you’ll have a bit more protection in the event you don’t get what you paid for.

Also sometimes the quality on alibaba can be sketchy. They are well known for selling knock offs and using pictures of other people’s products to do so.

It really all depends on how much you want to save and how willing you are to roll the dice. Some things are safer than others. Electronics is one area that is notorious for poor quality, fakes and hassles. But not always.

If you were going to purchase a plastic item or a glass pipe you might be just fine.

I’ve had ok results and I’ve bought complete garbage from there. Often times it’s more of a hassle to try and return something than to just throw it away.

Not trying to steer you away from there by any means you just have to consider the risks and hassle when dealing with Chinese based companies. They don’t get paid enough to care about some American half way across the planet.
Respectfully noted sir. If I was about to build out multiple large fixtures, maybe try the overseas route. For a single fixture or two, I'll probably stick with somewhere here in the states. Trying to be frugal will bite me in the ass.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s not all bad but definately be careful. Sometimes it’s better to just buy domestic if you can. You’ll be ensured quality and a warranty. Can’t wait to see you’re new setup :-)

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

+1 on growers lights, shipping took a lil over a week but had mine assembled and potentiometer ( knob that increase or decrease wattage) installed also before they sent it. Think I spent $700 something on hlg 600h. Thinking about buying two more qb288 boards and making aluminum frame then run boards lower wattage and more coverage.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Anybody on the farm using chilled tech boards or pucks? I've seen a review and par testing online and those pucks performed. Search...

Homesteader

Homesteader

Anyone buying aluminum bar should take a look at Grainger prices before buying from the box store. You can also get rivets or metal screws from them and save yourself a bunch compared to the box stores. I assume you can get wire as well although I never have bought it from there. For wire I think Del city is a good place to look.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

So, thinking I'm gonna get a 2x4 set up of some Vero cobs from timber. They have a diy kit minus the frame. Best bang for my buck right now. I can fab the frame. My other option is hlg qb xl with identical watts. Just 100.00 more. Any thoughts on the two?

Homesteader

Homesteader

So, thinking I'm gonna get a 2x4 set up of some Vero cobs from timber. They have a diy kit minus the frame. Best bang for my buck right now. I can fab the frame. My other option is hlg qb xl with identical watts. Just 100.00 more. Any thoughts on the two?

Are you capable of building a frame? If so I would go that route. You may want to check out cobkits too if you haven't. They have most of the stuff you will need in terms of heatsinks and such and it may be cheaper than buying it all together.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

Either one would be great

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Plenty capable of building frame, just need everything in hands to see how to attach sinks to frame and measurements. The cobs kit from timber has everything but the frame. Who's building frames on the farm I can consult?

Top Bottom