Coco DWC?

• Thread starter qris24
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Q

qris24

Hey all,

I've read somewhere (I think it was in a TexasKid reply) that you can use coco with a DWC setup. Now can I use the Canna fine coir that I have, or would this just fall out of the net pot and mud up the water? Would I be better running something pretty chunky or would I be good with what I have? Or can I put something like a stocking or cheese cloth etc over the pot to keep the coir in. Will the roots come thru something like this?

Thanks all!

-Q

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Look into the coco mats they have or using the coco croutons.

Q

qris24

Hey Hererisssh,

Thanks for the info! I got it all set up. Lets see how well its goes.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
No problem, I haven't run coco in DWC yet but other here have. Good luck and post up some pics :nod

F

FastForward

Qris - I used some NFT spreader mat in the bottom of my flood and drain to stop fine coco going into the res. You can also get coco jiffy transplant blocks (like grodans/rockwool) and I reckon they'd be worth trying for DWC because the coco is already contained in a water permitting 'membrane'

B

been

IMHO coco is too light to be effective in DWC; maybe not the croutons, but fine grades will make it hard to anchor the plant unless it is kept soaking wet. Maybe it's just me, but once the roots hit the res, I lower the water level so that it isn't touching the medium. Just seems like a bad idea to have the coco under water, but maybe I'm not picking up your concept?

Have you considered lava rock or gravel? I know that stuff is dense, cheap, inert, and practically indestructible. Not that you can't reuse coco for a while. Let us know how it works out for you bro. I don't see too many people pimpin' it like that.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Been makes some good points, I think most people that have used coco this way use a recirculating system like a waterfarm with top feed drip system.

Q

qris24

IMHO coco is too light to be effective in DWC........

Hey Been,

You may be right. Its just I had some coco left over and a spare bucket, just wanting to try a dwc. I have a bag seed ling in there now, so if it is a bust I'm not out anything other than a small amount of nutes. Ill keep this updated to see how it goes.

Thanks all!

Top Bottom