Coco Grow. Cake boss REGS. Fast Buds AUTOS(1st grow)

• Thread starter riverside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
riverside

riverside

Hows it going everyone! Also thanks for reading!

So i started up a grow in a 4x2 marys hydro tent a few weeks back using :

Medium/Amendments
General Hydroponics 5kg dry brick COCO
Earth Dust Dry Amendments Base/Boost (2tsp/gal of coco)

Lighting
1- HLG 260 v2 Rspec LED

Beans
AUTOS
4- C4 (42 Fastbuds)
3- Blue Dream (42 Fastbuds)
1- Blackberry (42 Fastbuds)

REGS
6- Cake Boss (Solfire)

I watered the brick down with tap water Ph 6.8. Once fluffy, it was mixed with the dry amendments and then small amount of perlite was added.
What i didn't know, is that i probably should've washed the coco first before putting my seedlings into it. Cause it was full of salts like 1400 tds in the runoff (tap is 175 tds) and i think i burned them and slowed growth down in the beginning.

After 2 days in wet towel, beans were placed into root riot pods
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 2

Here's where things get ugly, after a few more days once the roots popped through riot pods, i put them into the unwashed coco, and this happened. im assuming its nute burn from all the manufactures salt that i forgot to wash out.

Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 3
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 4

Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 5
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 6

Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 7
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 8

So after seeing this, i watered and checked tds and it was 1400. So i washed each cup out with tap water( in attempt to wash out the salt), lowering the ph of my watering each time because i should be watering closer to 5.8 for coco ( i believe) And the plants that survived responded well. (RIP to one Cake Boss, and one Blue dream)

Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 9
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 10
Coco grow cake boss regs fast buds autos1st grow 11

I don't know how much i can put on each post. so i'm going to post this and continue in next post.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I rinse my coco until the water runs clear or as clear as it’s going to get. Keep pH 5.8 - 6.3. Id transplant those autos soon. Don’t want them to get root bound and stress the roots. Put them in their permanent home.

Also, the nutrients you’re using are organic, right? Since coco is considered a hydroponic medium, you’ll want nutrients specifically for hydro. You can try and use those nutrients but if you start to notice issues, you’ll prob need to switch lines.

riverside

riverside

So after washing out the seedlings to get the excess salts out, I think i washed out all the dry amendments in the process that i added to the coco.
The plants looked hungry. So i decided i would use a small amount of GH flora series (micro, grow, bloom) that i had in my garage from a previous project. 2.5ml/gallon of water of the trio + calmag. This seemed to kick start things.
And things were looking great until now, a few days after i transplanted the autos into their permanent home(regs are in 1 gal pots due to lack of space, but were putting up another 5x5, so space won't be an issue soon!) The transplant had clean flushed coco, with the dry amendments "cooking" for over a week. Watered in with Caps Bennies and continued the low dose of GH trio+ calmag ( following Nebulas Formula).

So im wondering if i should cut out the GH trio, because now the roots have access to the organic nutes. Or should i keep going with GH?
My confusion comes from the EC/TDS/PH being higher than the input nutrients.
Ph in runoff is like 7.3, 1100 tds. (Input ph 5.8, 750 tds)

Id really like to stick to the organics, but i don't want risk not making it to harvest!

Heres some pics!

Some root action from (left Cakeboss1)(right C4 1)
IMG 1180
IMG 1183

IMG 1185
IMG 1186

(left cakeboss 1, looks good, not too concerned with these)(right C4 1, lil light green, still steady growth)

IMG 0008
IMG 0009

These im worried about. (left cake boss 2, lighter green and curling a bit) (Right C4 3, hasnt grown since transplant, and leaves falling over) Anyone have any advice here?

IMG 0005
IMG 0006

riverside

riverside

I rinse my coco until the water runs clear or as clear as it’s going to get. Keep pH 5.8 - 6.3. Id transplant those autos soon. Don’t want them to get root bound and stress the roots. Put them in their permanent home.

Also, the nutrients you’re using are organic, right? Since coco is considered a hydroponic medium, you’ll want nutrients specifically for hydro. You can try and use those nutrients but if you start to notice issues, you’ll prob need to switch lines.
Thanks for the response!

Yea i definitely learned my lesson on that one, i made sure to do that on round two, with the coco i transplanted into.
Im not sure what i was thinking, or why i thought 6.7 was okay haha but 5.8 is what ive been watering at for the last week and a half.
And on their website it says -

"If you want to use 100% coco, please note this is a “soilless” medium that does not contain organic materials that break down. You may need to pay closer attention to water pH (aim for 5.8-6.5 pH) and start your soil by mixing in 3-4 tablespoons per gallon of Earth Dust Base and 1/2 – 1 tablespoon per gallon of Earth Dust Boost."

So i did 3/1 base/boost per gal of coco, however i don't think i gave it enough time to "cook" that's why i supplemented the first week + with the GH trio. i feel like i complicated things. aha

riverside

riverside

My apologies for anyone who saw this. My anxiety got the best of me. What i needed to do was calm down, and study what i did wrong, and not get distracted by techniques that don't apply to this style of growing. Lots of great info out there, just make sure it pertains to the type of growing you're practicing! ~

So i contacted the manufacturer at greenshine co(dry amendments im using)with the issues i've been having. like i should've done in the first place. He was very helpful and walked me through it.

Turns out the issues might stem around the Ph down i was using. Contains phosphoric acid, which Killed my microbial life ( the stuff that should be maintaining a healthy ph range in media )

So, ill be grabbing some new products to get things back on track!! (i. e molasses, alfalfa, materials and stuff for making a tea, and a microbe safe Ph down)

Anybody have a ph down that is microbe safe?

happy growing!

will update soon!

Moshmen

Moshmen

My apologies for anyone who saw this. My anxiety got the best of me. What i needed to do was calm down, and study what i did wrong, and not get distracted by techniques that don't apply to this style of growing. Lots of great info out there, just make sure it pertains to the type of growing you're practicing! ~

So i contacted the manufacturer at greenshine co(dry amendments im using)with the issues i've been having. like i should've done in the first place. He was very helpful and walked me through it.

Turns out the issues might stem around the Ph down i was using. Contains phosphoric acid, which Killed my microbial life ( the stuff that should be maintaining a healthy ph range in media )

So, ill be grabbing some new products to get things back on track!! (i. e molasses, alfalfa, materials and stuff for making a tea, and a microbe safe Ph down)

Anybody have a ph down that is microbe safe?

happy growing!

will update soon!
Dude yer not in soil, you run a “Hydro” grow like it or not ! I would listen to the coco growers just my opinion ,

riverside

riverside

Dude yer not in soil, you run a “Hydro” grow like it or not ! I would listen to the coco growers just my opinion ,

Thanks for the response!

when i first started the grow, my goal was to just use the amended coco through the whole grow. Top feeding boost a few times until finish. Specifically earth dust base/boost. but between not washing the coco, prob washing the amendments out of the coco and a few other noob mistakes in the beginning, it left me with some hungry looking plants(growth stopped as well). The use of the GH trio was just an attempt at a quick feeding because i didn't give enough time for the coco to "cook" with the earth dust amendments.

I guess what i'm saying is, i was under the impression that hydro was using synthetics or salts in a soilless medium. What i was attempting was coco/perlite with dry amendments and a weekly tea with caps bennies. and thats all i was going to give them. is this wrong?

any tips would help, im green af.

thanks !

riverside

riverside

Anybody have any idea what is causing the new growth to be so thin and droopy?

its only really on the blue dream autos.

feeding 1.3 ec /temp 69-75/ humidity 70% rh

IMG 1257
IMG 1256

Top Bottom