Coco grow, Slow growth yellow / ligh green leaves, 1ml cal mag , canna A&B , Ph 5.8

• Thread starter Ph 007
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ph 007

Ph 007

Hi anyone
Notre sure bow this works I'm a newbee

iv switched from soil to coco and having some problem's, some answers would be great, Thanks pH 007

i have a Coco grow in veg ,
Im getting slow growth and some leave quite a few looking a bit light green, a bit or red stem hardly any..
iv been having the same problems with last 3 coco grows, last 2 grows 4 plants iv

im using full strength cal mag every watering , canna A&B and pH to 5.8 and total E.C is 1.0 ,, That's 0.4 E.C of cal mag
and 0.6 E.C of canna a A&B
temps 75.7f day. ,, and night 70/71f

my tap water is it TDS i think it called it 0.7 in pic below so I believe I have soft water, so I started using calag full strength 0.4 E.C
since using cal mag last grow and this grow that's in the pics below iv managed to stop plants from diying but still not looking vary health not instead of dying all 4 survive normally 2 will look really healthy and 2 not so good...

i give a mini flush today, that was 0.6 E.C that was 0.4 E.C of cal mag and 0.2 E.C canna A&B pH to 5.8.
, I then checked the run off is was 1.0/1.2 E.C and pH was 6.2...

triee watering from above with some run off and iv tried bottom feeding.

Pics below
some answers would be great thanks.. Sorry if this is all over the place on my mobile and stoned ain't working to well ;)

On 4 grown with coco that in the pics below they surviving but slow growth looking bi sick

Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 3
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 4
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 5
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 6
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 7
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 8
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 9
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 10
Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 11

First coco grow I had 4 plants 2 died 2 survived I wernt sure if was under or ivwe feeding so was flush feedning, one day feed next day flush repeat till harvest.
2 plants give me 14 oz dry.
Feed was
Canna A&B , pk boost, and should gun boost the sugar carb type.. Total E.C 1.4
Flush fees flush feed..

Next coco grow 4 plants
This time added cal mag full strength
3 plants survived 2 good 1 not so good,
Total E.C was 1.2/1.4 max. That was 0.4 E.C cal mag, and pH boost & canna A&B
i didn't feed lush this time just stuck to 1.2/1.4 E.C til end.. This crop 2 plants looks healthy 1 not son healthy and only hits 10/11 oz dry off all 3 plant's..

now this is my 3rd or 4th grow with coco I'm getting better but as you can see in the pics they surviving but not looking great iv managed to stop them from dining on me since using cal mag at 0.2/0.4 E.C from straight from cutting , but slow growth and as what you can see in thse pics, still in veg. Want flick to 12/12 till get them looking good..

Coco grow slow growth yellow  ligh green leaves 1ml cal mag  canna ab  ph 58 2
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have no experience with coco and although it's is a kind of hydro in a sense it's a much different beast than I am used to. It looks to me like in the previous grows they were under fed. The last pic looks like they have been over fed. I find the most demanding feeding a plant does is during stretch. Each system will have much different requirements for feeding but I find until stretch I don't need to feed over 600ppm of nutes and then it jumps quickly to about 1000-to 1100 ppm.

Cal mag I know can be an issue in coco but I think you got that beat I don't see any signs of a deficiency there. To me it looks like your feed is just a bit high.

Idk know what lighting you have but that will impact growth the most so is it possible your expectations don't match your equipment?

Just figured I would toss out some info but best to wait for a coco grower to help ya. You will likely get more specific and better advice

Ph 007

Ph 007

Thanks for the reply mate, any info is great..

I have a normal 600 watt ballast,,not sure the. and of them now , in the link below not same make but one of them lights

it's got 600&400 watt mode on it, I'm on 400watt as the 18 hours light schedule saves electric and brings my humidity up a bit more to 65%. Temoa at 76f day 70/71f night

I think the same mate that their over fed, and got lock out,, showing signs of deficiency the yellow leaves.
Iv discovered if the the years that a lower E.C works better for me, like you said 1.0 / 1.2. Iv given a mini flush today at 0.6E.C but that's not a lot of food because 0.4 of that is cal mag, i think its over feeding like your said but it's got something tonso with the cal mag ,, also canna A&B I'm using has cal mag,, I was thinking I'm feeding to much cal mag and that causing lockout .. I like soil so simple,, but coco more yield I want,, I finding clone machine that's hydro, iv master that so hydro im in finding easier then coco loo mad.. What hydro set up are your running? I'd like to do hydro as I find it easier but I aibt got then head for messing with water pH feeds and water change ,, I like the though coco sane results as hyrdo but simple fees like soil eventually set the auto pots up,, but having nightmare as you can see last 2/4 grows haha

I start clones in aero spray clone machine, wheh u see tinny dot roots feed at 0.4 E.C then 2/3 weeks later 0.6 E.C
All this in clone machine and the plants look vary healthy. But soon as I pot into coco and feed at 0.6/0.8 E.C they start slowing down and looking the same asnib the pics...

I'm not sure it the full strength cal mag
Is needed soon as I pot I to coco,,
What im doing is going from clone machine huge roots feed 0.6 pot into the pots you see in the pics 15lt i think, they are in veg tent under 2 T/5s in give first feed in the coco soon as i potted,, the fees is 0.6/0.8 E.C. 0.4 of that is cal mag that's full strength..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks for the reply mate, any info is great..

I have a normal 600 watt ballast,,not sure the. and of them now , in the link below not same make but one of them lights

it's got 600&400 watt mode on it, I'm on 400watt as the 18 hours light schedule saves electric and brings my humidity up a bit more to 65%. Temoa at 76f day 70/71f night

I think the same mate that their over fed, and got lock out,, showing signs of deficiency the yellow leaves.
Iv discovered if the the years that a lower E.C works better for me, like you said 1.0 / 1.2. Iv given a mini flush today at 0.6E.C but that's not a lot of food because 0.4 of that is cal mag, i think its over feeding like your said but it's got something tonso with the cal mag ,, also canna A&B I'm using has cal mag,, I was thinking I'm feeding to much cal mag and that causing lockout .. I like soil so simple,, but coco more yield I want,, I finding clone machine that's hydro, iv master that so hydro im in finding easier then coco loo mad.. What hydro set up are your running? I'd like to do hydro as I find it easier but I aibt got then head for messing with water pH feeds and water change ,, I like the though coco sane results as hyrdo but simple fees like soil eventually set the auto pots up,, but having nightmare as you can see last 2/4 grows haha

I start clones in aero spray clone machine, wheh u see tinny dot roots feed at 0.4 E.C then 2/3 weeks later 0.6 E.C
All this in clone machine and the plants look vary healthy. But soon as I pot into coco and feed at 0.6/0.8 E.C they start slowing down and looking the same asnib the pics...

I'm not sure it the full strength cal mag
Is needed soon as I pot I to coco,,
What im doing is going from clone machine huge roots feed 0.6 pot into the pots you see in the pics 15lt i think, they are in veg tent under 2 T/5s in give first feed in the coco soon as i potted,, the fees is 0.6/0.8 E.C. 0.4 of that is cal mag that's full strength..
You might try cutting out the cal mag supplement or in half? .4 seems high to me especially if your nutes contain it and you are using tap. Excess can cause issues also and see how they react. Your light definitely should provide you some good growth rates.

Ph 007

Ph 007

I'll try exactly that iv been to scared to drop cal mag to power dose because I had more problems in first 2 grows with no cal mag only what was in the canna nutes.. Iv tried everything else on the grows so suppose makes sence to try less calmag, I read a post about it and how it works and soft water what in have i think, and worked out I needed that..

I'll try half strength tmz when ill water at 0.2 E.C of cal.mag and have total at 0.6 try for few day's, I want to flick to flower but worried 0.6 in low to be goinf into 12/12

I shall try and update in few day's thanks for the time

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll try exactly that iv been to scared to drop cal mag to power dose because I had more problems in first 2 grows with no cal mag only what was in the canna nutes.. Iv tried everything else on the grows so suppose makes sence to try less calmag, I read a post about it and how it works and soft water what in have i think, and worked out I needed that..

I'll try half strength tmz when ill water at 0.2 E.C of cal.mag and have total at 0.6 try for few day's, I want to flick to flower but worried 0.6 in low to be goinf into 12/12

I shall try and update in few day's thanks for the time
By soft water do you mean water from a water softener? Or just lower ph?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do you have a ppm meter?

If so what is the ec of your source water?

EC of feed?

Once you flip the demands will go up fast.

P

pdx

PDX
When you say you’re watering with softened water do you mean to say the water has gone through a water softener?
Softened water is high in sodium and it will kill your plants if you’re watering with it.

I’m growing in 100% coco coir myself and give it a full dose of cal mag and have cut back on my micro nutes which was just way too much nitrogen for them at the time.

Are you keeping the coco coir moist at all times? You should never let coco coir dry between waterings. If coco coir gets dry the roots not only will start dying off (air pruning I guess), but the nutrients (synthetic nutes) will cause salt deposits in the medium causing even more problems which would require a thorough flushing.

Ph 007

Ph 007

Sorry, from what iv read might not all make sence as can't remember all exactly

But soft water is is tap water or any water that has no minerals or stuff it's very clean water

And hard water has minerals or something in it,,

Soft water has no calcium and I think magnesium so you add calmag to boost calcium and magnesium something along them lines lol.

Coco breaks down and as it does it needs more calcium or magnesium hard water already contains these soft water dont so need calmag.

Coco breaks down and some deposits or something open up releasing k and needs cal mag to fill the deposits that open up as the coco breaks down or causes all sorts of problems pH and more,,

Half that is not 100% right but its quit complicated this coco lol

Im sure its something to do with what ppm the water is is its under 100 its soft you can see in the pic a blue pen its callwd TDS pen and measures ppm ,, that in the pics is what my opm is out of my tap I showed it because im sure its something to so with what water your have soft or hard, its still all new to me mate all I known is I'm sure in have soft water and that then needs cal mag, tap water im using i leave water in big water but and air atone for few days.

I don't use cap mag in hydro clone machine and plants stay in that after rooted 2-3 weeks vary healthy

But coco requires calmag as it breaks down and soft water what fill that need as no calcium,,,

Hope this makes sence lol , this has been a mission on a phone man :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry, from what iv read might not all make sence as can't remember all exactly

But soft water is is tap water or any water that has no minerals or stuff it's very clean water

And hard water has minerals or something in it,,

Soft water has no calcium and I think magnesium so you add calmag to boost calcium and magnesium something along them lines lol.

Coco breaks down and as it does it needs more calcium or magnesium hard water already contains these soft water dont so need calmag.

Coco breaks down and some deposits or something open up releasing k and needs cal mag to fill the deposits that open up as the coco breaks down or causes all sorts of problems pH and more,,

Half that is not 100% right but its quit complicated this coco lol

Im sure its something to do with what ppm the water is is its under 100 its soft you can see in the pic a blue pen its callwd TDS pen and measures ppm ,, that in the pics is what my opm is out of my tap I showed it because im sure its something to so with what water your have soft or hard, its still all new to me mate all I known is I'm sure in have soft water and that then needs cal mag, tap water im using i leave water in big water but and air atone for few days.

I don't use cap mag in hydro clone machine and plants stay in that after rooted 2-3 weeks vary healthy

But coco requires calmag as it breaks down and soft water what fill that need as no calcium,,,

Hope this makes sence lol , this has been a mission on a phone man :)
Yeah I just wanted to be sure in the aquatic hobby soft water is referred to just as you describe but it's misleading.

A water softener that people put in houses to remove high mineral content works by exchanging ions and removes thing like calcium but replaces them with sodium and plants don't like that at all.

Ph 007

Ph 007

I have a E.C pen it says ppm on it as well
But don't under stand that exactly

I get water out of my tap stick my nutrient strength E.C metre into my plain tap water and it has a no E.C value,, my stick only goes to 0.2 E.C minimum

I have a TDS or something like that is called it tests the ppm thats the blue pen in the pic, its reads 0.07 in think i t says that straight out my tap

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When you say you’re watering with softened water do you mean to say the water has gone through a water softener?
Softened water is high in sodium and it will kill your plants if you’re watering with it.

I’m growing in 100% coco coir myself and give it a full dose of cal mag and have cut back on my micro nutes which was just way too much nitrogen for them at the time.

Are you keeping the coco coir moist at all times? You should never let coco coir dry between waterings. If coco coir gets dry the roots not only will start dying off (air pruning I guess), but the nutrients (synthetic nutes) will cause salt deposits in the medium causing even more problems which would require a thorough flushing.
There ya go a coco guy... Good luck you are in better hands now

Ph 007

Ph 007

I have no water or filer system, that out of my tap what the blue pen says ppm.

I was thinking migh be getting to dry I made sure they always moist
I normally bottom feed 1 litre maybe more let the plant suck it up and when its dine sucking it up I'll leave 3-5 mill high water in the tray next day tray be dry but fabric pot feels damp to about half way up,, the top of the pop the coco is damp and the odd dry spot pot feels heavy,,

I have noticed white salt build up on the out side fabric pots so though lock out,,
2 the plants have roots coming out the side if the fabric pots but 2 have not.

so you feed full strength cal mag yourself every feed? Ate you hand feeding ?
forsome reason u through u where in hydro well coco is hydro but you know what I mean I hope lol

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
How often are you feeding them and in what size pots are they in?

Ph 007

Ph 007

Cemchris

I'm feeding a out half a litre to 1 Max a day, bottom feeding , I try to keep the coco moist, I feed about 5pm and the next day the try be dry or nearly, but the pots are still heavy can feel by the weight the coco is pretty wet,,

They are in 20lt fabric cloth pot, using a Auto pot tray to bottom hand fees , I will have auto pot set up fully when they better

Seraphine

Seraphine

You’re testing pH with a pen? If so, when was the last time you calibrated it? The pH could be off.

If the pH pen is accurate then I would increase the pH to 6.2. I found that to be the magic pH number in coco.

Ph 007

Ph 007

You’re testing pH with a pen? If so, when was the last time you calibrated it? The pH could be off.

If the pH pen is accurate then I would increase the pH to 6.2. I found that to be the magic pH number in coco.

Hi seraphine I shall check the pH pen tomorrow, but it hold its calibration well good pen, not then yellow shitty ones.
I last check the calibration about a week ago was good then..

And no I have ready and though about rinsing the coco and maybe with calmag a day before potting but I use coco in bag from grow shop I though its didn't need rinseing was already treated.

I have check the run off the coco with plain water no E.C the run off from the coco straight from the bag was 0.2E.C I used tap water no E.C in the water and out was 0.2 E.C and the run off is also brown not clear might be some root additive or something?

I have a small 1 litre pot with s cutting in it its on 0.8E.C 0.4 is cal mag only small plant it is , but I flushed that obw with two water and cal mag a day before potting it, that looking very healthy

Dr Watt

Dr Watt

This is THE problem :party1:. Fixing it can be counter intuitive, impossible even. When encountered in RW I have hand watered daily with half strength grow. With constant pump and timer waterings the problem is short lived - so that is a solution of constant water presence refreshed every 3 hours. Following on from that, the advice of keeping coco moist seems ok ? They do drown - refreshing the water 3 times a day is not possible in Coco which leads onto you're best moist - you could try to water then 1 or 2 times a day with 24hr+ water. Anywho, the problem goes away when they size up...... if this happens when they are small it can be very slow progress.

Dr Watt

Dr Watt

They look alright. I would not water them today, tommorow or the next day, fuck i dunno ! They are ok and looks like fresh roots down below ..... so I"d just hold off the water, and debate a large watering in a week or micro waterings just to keep the top moist and THEN wait ten days (7 to 14).

Latest posts

Top Bottom