Coco over RDWC - and why?

• Thread starter ectaszy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ectaszy

ectaszy

Hello,
Why would anyone choose coco over rdwc and vice versa? I want to choose one of these systems and can't decide which one.
Both are hydro. Coco is high frequently drip feed and RDWC is 24/7 feed so rdwc seems to be more efficient. How does it look in practise? There must be a reason why people choose coco. With coco in particular you already have to work with the substrate, replace it etc., which is not the case with rdwc. You drain the water and that's it. In both systems you have to check out pH.
Can someone clear it? What is advantage of coco over rdwc? Do any give better results? I really can't get what makes people choose drip coco system.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Rdwc for the win. I would say coco is the happy medium though. Coco is also a cheaper and easier setup compared to active systems.

I couldn't imagine running coco lol... So dirty..

frogyrogy

frogyrogy

Running coco DTW with high frequency fertigation gives you easier nutrient balance/control and less reservoir maintenance than a recirculating system and has less potential to spread root related diseases. As name implies, Drain to Waste isn't the most economical for water/nutrient usage.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Can't compare with coco because ive never grown coco but rdwc has treated me well for the last 8 years