Coco over RDWC - and why?

• Thread starter ectaszy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ectaszy

ectaszy

Hello,
Why would anyone choose coco over rdwc and vice versa? I want to choose one of these systems and can't decide which one.
Both are hydro. Coco is high frequently drip feed and RDWC is 24/7 feed so rdwc seems to be more efficient. How does it look in practise? There must be a reason why people choose coco. With coco in particular you already have to work with the substrate, replace it etc., which is not the case with rdwc. You drain the water and that's it. In both systems you have to check out pH.
Can someone clear it? What is advantage of coco over rdwc? Do any give better results? I really can't get what makes people choose drip coco system.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Rdwc for the win. I would say coco is the happy medium though. Coco is also a cheaper and easier setup compared to active systems.

I couldn't imagine running coco lol... So dirty..

F

frogyrogy

Running coco DTW with high frequency fertigation gives you easier nutrient balance/control and less reservoir maintenance than a recirculating system and has less potential to spread root related diseases. As name implies, Drain to Waste isn't the most economical for water/nutrient usage.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Can't compare with coco because ive never grown coco but rdwc has treated me well for the last 8 years

J

Jovin

Rdwc superior in every way. More adjustments, but unparalleled results. Screw coco and its cation exchange. The only benefit to coco the ability to fertigate often and avoid drowning your roots, but dwc is Always fertigating. 24/7 is more than 3-4 times a day.

Madmax

Madmax

Dunno bout rdwc but im killing it in coco đź’Ş

We should start a coco vs rdwc grow off with set rules.4-5 week veg from seed same strain etc.your choice of nutes ,lights used. 2x2 3x3 4x4 5x5 etc and pair guys up with same room size..would b pretty cool along with the bitchin and dick measuring 🤣

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

I've never ran a RDWC but here's my 2nd try in coco, it's a LSD auto that's 53 days old and started flowering at day 30. So the plant has been flowering for 23 days and all I can say is wow how fast it's growing, in a 5x5 tent got 950 watts from wall over her but power is turned down pretty low. Giving her around 800 par feeding calmagic and maxibloom in RO water EC-1.0 PH-5.9 here's pictures of plant. In 3 gallon air pot feeding 3 times a day.

Screenshot 20220401 061242
Screenshot 20220401 061259
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

RDWC gets me 1lb in a 4x4 using a 1000w light, in 3 months. . Easily, like stupid easy. As for maintenance, I top off my system every 3 days. I can go on vacation during late flower for 4 days.

Id put my system up against any coco system. Never grown in coco either lol, and never will. Water is cheaper

Im actually about to start a new thread showing how fast I can veg/flower. Day one will be tomorrow, seeds just broke through the netpots and I just turned the lights up.

Last edited:
Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Yes it pretty easy to get a pound in a 5x5 tent. That plant in picture above my guess will give a pound when done easy.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Yes it pretty easy to get a pound in a 5x5 tent. That plant in picture above my guess will give a pound when done easy.
My goal is to get 2lbs in a 4x4 by the end of the year, constantly. Once I get my C02 setup, its possible, but idk if I have the right genetics for it.

I guess ill say it like this then.

Active hydro systems provide faster growth rates than passive hydro systems. Every single trial done shows how RDWC grows plants faster. That said. . .Sure, its more challenging at the start for new people.

Id say the main reason people chose passive is because its easier to setup. As for the maintaining, anyone who has followed my thread knows how easy RDWC can be.

I make up 30 gallons, and it lasts 2 months with only top offs. I never do full res changes and my water is 74F which helps speed up the plants metabolism. 99% of people who try to run a system like mine fail. I just studied with Aquaman so much that he made it impossible for me to fail.

But again, my goal has to been to make RDWC easier for me, and everyone else and im doing great so far in this 1 year ive been growing.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
BRO ITS SO LOUD. My videos are so loud. . Valid complaint lol. . .My airpump hammers man. I have 2 air pumps too. So loud
I grew RDWC back in the day, I can still hear the air pumps. Excellent way to grow though.

F

frogyrogy

Rdwc superior in every way. More adjustments, but unparalleled results. Screw coco and its cation exchange. The only benefit to coco the ability to fertigate often and avoid drowning your roots, but dwc is Always fertigating. 24/7 is more than 3-4 times a day.
Not in every way . . . I just had a pump crap out while away. I don't know if it died on Friday or Saturday but when I came home Monday I had a VERY thirsty girl. Had it happened in R/DWC you would have likely had a very dead plant. Also when the storms come and the power goes for more than a few hours I can pour nutes into my pots rather than pump them . . . gonna be hard for you to blow bubbles through those lines without a pump. Or like when I have a brain fart and fail top off reservoirs and miss a feeding or two, or just forget to check them for a day . . . we all make mistakes, and I find that mistakes are something that happen to me more and more as I get older.

Not trying to be a smartass, just saying Coco is much more forgiving than some other methods so a blanket "superior in every way" statement is somewhat uninformed.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Not in every way . . . I just had a pump crap out while away. I don't know if it died on Friday or Saturday but when I came home Monday I had a VERY thirsty girl. Had it happened in R/DWC you would have likely had a very dead plant. Also when the storms come and the power goes for more than a few hours I can pour nutes into my pots rather than pump them . . . gonna be hard for you to blow bubbles through those lines without a pump. Or like when I have a brain fart and fail top off reservoirs and miss a feeding or two, or just forget to check them for a day . . . we all make mistakes, and I find that mistakes are something that happen to me more and more as I get older.

Not trying to be a smartass, just saying Coco is much more forgiving than some other methods so a blanket "superior in every way" statement is somewhat uninformed.
So if the power goes out which it does, I dont do anything, I mean what am I gonna do blow bubbles with a straw lol, I guess I could get a hand crank air pump, but f that, id rather watch them all die. I mean eventually with no light and no power, wont all plants die lol? I do get the criticism though. Id say over 80% of people who try active hydro, fail and never "want" to do it again. So by all means, its not simple even though I try to make it sound simple.

I run waterfalls and airpumps. So if my water pump fails, my air pump sill gives them o2. If my air pump fails, I still have waterfalls making a good spash.

Man i have a hard time keeping my germination papertowels wet. Either its too wet, or it drys out. I couldnt imagine hand watering or amending soil omg. Dunno how these men do it lol.

Id say with adjustments and personal tweeks, if someone stays at it, it can be the easiest system to run. My changeovers are epic. I pump the water out, and put new hot water in, let it mix with some bleach, scrub the walls with sanipes, and plunge my pipes. . pump it out, and refill. I get wet, not dirty lol

Anyways im sure these convos will help alot of people out, which is why I try to stay active in them. Not trying to say people shouldnt run coco. Just saying, there are other easier options too. Coco is just the easiest because the available help is everywhere. With RDWC all you will hear is contradicting information lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom