cohiba

• Thread starter mendel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mendel

A few days ago I was going thru my seed stash and ran across a couple of packs of 'cohiba' that I got from c-bay long ago. I grew out a pack of these many yrs ago, and remember it being a top notch sativa, but I cant remember its lineage.

Does anyone remember the lineage of this strain?

M

midsummer

I grew it some yrs ago and liked it; Just pulled this off of the old cannagenetics site for my own information:

Cohiba:
Just an update grow report. Had let Cohiba reach 1 to 1.5 feet under fluorescents before moving to the flowering room, all six were very compact and healthy at time, about six/seven leaf sets when put into flower. Should have put them in sooner, they have been in flower around four weeks now. They are in a hydroponic system, with 1/2 vermiculite and 1/2 perlite, top fed for 15 mins every four hours during the 12 hour light cycle. They are now 3 to 4 feet tall, all very, very healthy and putting on some heavy buds. Out of four seeds, six are females still in flower, the two males were trimmed and put back into 24 hour light to revert to veg stage until needed. All four females look very similar, a compact Christmas tree shape that reminds me very much of the way skunk plants grow. Most buds on side branches are around 1 inch long, main cola around 3 inch long. Growth pattern of buds is very, very good. Buds continue to grow outward and form new bud clusters on the end of branches, while at the same time older clusters continue to grow wider and thicker in all directions. Very well suited for indoor cultivation. If current growth continues, would predict 2 to 3 oz per plant if finished at 8 to 10 weeks. Crystal production visible, but not yet developed or heavy -with very heavy sativa influence it may not show up heavy until later of flowering, sure hope so. Breeding will depend on some clones waiting to root now, if they go well, will let the main plants finish up as sinsemilla, then seed clones later. If any problem with clones, will seed selected branches on main plant. Should have some Cohiba F2s, Cohiba x Nam Black, and Cohiba x African Zambian in a few months. Later,CloneKing Puresativa.

Just adding a little extra info for you. One of the reasons I was so surprised with the Brazilian phenotype was because of the other strains growing in the same setup. Along with the Cohiba are:

Sensi Star by Paradise Seeds - near 100% indica, 50 - 60 days indoors

Blueberry by Sagamartha, Dutch Passion and BCGA, 80% indica, 45 - 55 days indoors.

Heavy Duty Fruity by British Columbia Seed Company, 90%+ indica. 60 days

Critical Mass by MR. Nice, 90%+ indica, around 60 days.
All of these mostly indica plants are classic indica shape and developement. Short, tight, lots of cystals. They also have very alive and healthy hairs. No sign yet of indica hairs dying or buds finishing.
Same with the Columbian and Paraguayan Cohiba. That is why I was totally shocked to look at the Brazilian Cohiba and see most early hairs have died and buds beginning to ripen. An 82% sativa plant that grows like a skunk, but starts finishing before near 100% indicas? That is something I have never seen before.

If I understand you correctly, you are telling me that it was a Brazilian sativa that gave this pheno such early flowering. Amazing. Is there any 100% sativa strains available in your area with the short flowering Brazilian genes? I see very great breeding potential with other tropical sativas. Crossing strains like Nam Black, Thai, Cambodian, Malawi Gold, Haze, etc, with Brazilian could make 100% sativa strains finish quickly in colder climates and indoors. Just ranting. Got to go see if the Cohiba sample buds are dry yet. CloneKing - Puresativa

Cohiba phenos report: Different phenotypes are showing up now in flowering. Appears to be three:

Brazilian pheno (1 plant), seems to be finishing very, very early. Stretch of buds appear to have stopped, now buds growing in tight, round indica like ball buds. This plant showing best crystal development. Negative side is that final yeild now looks like it will be small.

Paraguayan pheno (1 plant). Stretch of main cola has stopped, now tip is growing round and whole cola growing fatter. Smaller side branches still have sharp tips. Calyxes swelling to good size, turning silver with crystals. Looking like pictures of AK47 I have seen.

Colombian pheno (2 plants). All buds tips still pointed and stretching. Calyxes not yet swelling, crystals not yet developed. With luck, these two are just slower finishers and will start showing crystal developement in the next few weeks.

With only 12.5% Indian Curry indica, I'm very surprised two phenos are showing they may finish in 60 days or less.

Note: First batch of cutting taking too long to root. On tight schedule to shut down before hard mid July heat hits. Males are back in flowering and will pollinate select side branches when male flowers pop.

Cohiba - early smoke test. Reported by Cloneking - Puresativa.
General Comments: a) Samples taken at six weeks into flowering. b) Four females, two Columbian pheno, one each of Paraguayan and Brazilian phenos. c) Both Columbian phenos very similar. d) Sample dried naturally over two days. Not proper cure, but did greatly reduce 'green' taste. e). Samples taken from lowest, most undeveloped branches.

1.Cohiba of Columbian phenotype (two plants): Early flowering, all pistils still alive and vibrant. Classic spear shaped buds. Buds not very dense, some oldest calyxes swell, but not many.

Crystals - None on sun leaves, starting to show on smallest bud leaves, best on main cola.

Smoke taste - Light, slight earthy, natural tobacco like taste. Smooth.

High - Very good and strong, even at early flowering. Energetic, electric feeling. Could be paranoid for new smoker, not a problem for me. Most special part of high is the length. Went to bed five hours after two small one hitters, was very high. Woke up eight hours later, 11 hours after smoking, still feeling good buzz and had a high hangover. Eat, drank, slept more, and exercise to wear out high before going to work. High finally gone 13 hours after smoking. Finished buds might be weekend weed only.

Final yield prediction - should be good, three more weeks may harvest around 50 dry grams per plant.

Breeding potential- EXCELLENT. Will be main breeding stock.

2. Cohiba of Brazilian phenotype: Very advanced flowering, end of main cola and side branches have most pistols dead and dried, calyxes very swollen and finishing ripening. Buds will be small, but very dense and hard, like indica.

Crystals: Very advanced and thick. Most developed of all phenos.

Smoke taste: Thick, hash taste.

High: First, heavy indica stone sets in. Time for couch and relaxing. After around two hours heavy stone wears off, leaving a strong, long lasting sativa energy high. Very strong.

Final yield prediction: very small, maybe 20 grams total.

Breeding potential Low interest. Will breed some seeds to save short flower gene for later breeding experiments. Looks like could be harvested at 40 days of flowering. Might be able to improve yield is start flowering at two weeks of vegetation.

Note: You said this is unusually short pheno, maybe a genetic mutation.

3. Cohiba of Paraguayan phenotype: Main cola no longer pointed, getting round and thick. Most side branch buds still pointed. Bud growth slowing down. Calyxes swelling very large, even though pistils are still very alive and healthy.

Crystals: Very thick and developed on calyxes as they swell. Buds looking almost silver.

Smoke taste: Earthy, tobacco like taste. Stronger taste than Columbian, with slight hash under taste.

High: Level, even high. Around even level of indica body stone and sativa head stone. Good high, constant, level for several hours.

Final yield prediction: Think it will be best yielder, 80+ grams.

Breeding potential: Low. Yield and appearance is best, but high was only good. Will breed some seeds, in case finished buds are much stronger.

Conclusions: Will breed two Columbian females with two males for majority of seeds. Can understand why your friends may think finished Cohiba is too strong. Columbian Cohiba at six weeks was much more powerful than Nam Black buds at 10 weeks. Finished Columbian buds may be VERY strong.

Best sativa I have grown so far is Hawaiian Sativa from Federation in Canada. Many posters on Cannabis Culture forum say Hawaiian Sativa is among the strongest of any they have tried. I personally rate it around 7th strongest. If my old HS clone can be tempted to grow some more fresh flowers, will try breeding the Cohiba to it. No promises on that, the clone is getting old. Many congratulations on your breeding program. If the finished buds come out like I expect, Cohiba should be top grade. Easy match to the best seed bank strains and better than most. Agree with you that Cohiba x Cohiba should give best pheno combinations. The two Nam Black phenos I saved have fresh lemon smell and taste I love. Will try breeding Nam Black x Cohiba to see if I can get plants with lemon taste and Cohiba power and shorter flowering time.

Oldbay

Oldbay

Digging up old threads party foul, but anything come of these projects?

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Not that I ever heard, but I couldn't say for certain. I worked with some cultivars from @mendel. He was always a good person. I hope that he is well. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Top Bottom