Cold temps and amber trichomes

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

Quick question. Can cooler temps (though no frost yet) cause trichomes to turn amber prematurely? My plant is in about week 6 of flower and there are a good many amber trichomes among with cloudy. I would have thought 6 weeks of flowering would be too fast for that. The plant is outdoors, an unknown sativa, and germinated mid-May in the soil, growing outdoors ever since. TIA.

Cold temps and amber trichomes
Cold temps and amber trichomes 2
Cold temps and amber trichomes 3
Cold temps and amber trichomes 4

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
long ways to go.,
if a plant seems to be ending early it can be caused by being pollinated early into the flowering cycle.

amekins

amekins

long ways to go.,
if a plant seems to be ending early it can be caused by being pollinated early into the flowering cycle.
It’s been at least 6 weeks, possibly 7...I would have thought it had a long way to go, too...until I looked under a loupe tonight.

Madbud

Madbud

Quick question. Can cooler temps (though no frost yet) cause trichomes to turn amber prematurely? My plant is in about week 6 of flower and there are a good many amber trichomes among with cloudy. I would have thought 6 weeks of flowering would be too fast for that. The plant is outdoors, an unknown sativa, and germinated mid-May in the soil, growing outdoors ever since. TIA.

View attachment 1034623View attachment 1034624View attachment 1034625View attachment 1034626
Look at you getting all technical😂
Nice looking buds but we still have a couple weeks to go. Pinch off a small bud and let it dry in darkness for a week to try it.

amekins

amekins

Look at you getting all technical😂
Nice looking buds but we still have a couple weeks to go. Pinch off a small bud and let it dry in darkness for a week to try it.
I’m grateful every additional day I get before frost.

amekins

amekins

Make sure you're looking at the calyx's, not the leaves.
Very helpful! Thank you! It makes sense that's what I should look at, but being told helps. :) I took a look this morning, and while there are lots of cloudies, very few amber on the calyces.
IMG 2846
IMG 2847
IMG 2848
IMG 2845 2

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thank you! I was counting on mid October if no frost before then.
ya well we all got plants outside, mine look to be finished at the end of october, in southern ontario. cold or even frost won’t kill the plant as long as it’s only for a day.. i’m not worried, theft is more likely in most cases outdoors.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

In my experience with cold "light-off" periods (I grew in an insulated room I built in an uninsulated attic — temps went down to 50 F each night for a few months) it takes longer for trichs to turn cloudy and amber.

Low temperatures slow all biological activity down. In plant and microbe worlds, essentially all activity stops at 50 F, except in specially adapted organisms. Plants won't die, but they won't grow and mature.

Top Bottom