Collecting your Keef with a bin

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

I am a few weeks from my first harvest. Was curious what other people use for trimming and catching the magic dust. Harvest more trim bin seems to be very popular. 60 bucks I believe. Kind of a lot for a piece of plastic. Anybody have suggestions on what they use??

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Cheapest way is to use a wide container to catch everything you trim. You probably already have one. Then dump the trim over a fine stainless steel mesh sheet into a smaller container. You can get the mesh sheets on Amazon. Cost about $15 for several sheets. A clean paint brush is handy for sweeping the kief into a big pile. Sweep the entire surface of both containers.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
a few members have made their own given trim bins are stupid expensive for what they are. i footed the bill for one since i'm a shit carpenter and am too lazy to build one. it's nice, for sure. they thought out some ergonomics i wouldn't have thought of, and it works awesome, but not sure it's $60 worth of awesome.

Madbud

Madbud

I dry the trim til it goes through a stainless kitchen strainer then shake it in a reusable coffee filter basket over parchment paper then press in a tube with pennies.
3BAC8B02 5F0D 473F 81A0 3C5D5C15EE62
9E358025 92FD 4F1E A977 DD5CE7DD200A

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I built a keef sifter out of a Home Depot bucket and some parts.

Bought some fine mesh stainless sheets. Cut out sides of HD bucket to match mesh sheet. Used thread bar for the axle and drilled a hole in the center of the lid and bottom of the bucket. Secured the thread bar with washers and nuts and laid the bucket on its side. Mounted the bucket assembly to a teepee stand. Bolted a small pulley to one side of the thread bar. Mounted a small DC motor to the stand with a speed controller and pulley. Put a belt onto both pulleys and set the speed controller to whatever I wanted. Faster would yield more plant material mixed in with keef. Slower more pure keef with less plant material. After I found the right speed and time I plugged the motor into a timer and let it go on it's own.

tobh

tobh

Supporter

Bought some fine mesh stainless sheets. Cut out sides of HD bucket to match mesh sheet. Used thread bar for the axle and drilled a hole in the center of the lid and bottom of the bucket. Secured the thread bar with washers and nuts and laid the bucket on its side. Mounted the bucket assembly to a teepee stand. Bolted a small pulley to one side of the thread bar. Mounted a small DC motor to the stand with a speed controller and pulley. Put a belt onto both pulleys and set the speed controller to whatever I wanted. Faster would yield more plant material mixed in with keef. Slower more pure keef with less plant material. After I found the right speed and time I plugged the motor into a timer and let it go on it's own.
i'm thinkin the OP was asking specifically about catching kief from trimming, not necessarily making dry sift. that being said, I'm curious as to a couple details (sorry OP for derailing your thread).

1. did you by chance catch the micron level of the screen you purchased?
2. By volume, what would you say your average yield is?
3. Do you freeze the flower before processing?
4. about a half dozen other questions regarding motor, pulley sizes, etc. basically enough detail for a DIY thread lol

I'm also thinking something like this could be an uber low budget trimmer similar to how some cats used to use old clothes dryers they modified to process large outdoor harvests.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I use one of these hop filter things because I already had one for brewing beer.

71YYG7GFesL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

What I like about it, is you can put your trim in there and shake it and a ton of keif falls off the leaves. The more you shake, the more you get. They are only $20 on Amazon.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

pics would be nice Teepee stand? small DC motor? how big? speed controller? pics of the setup please I'd like to do similar

steamroller

steamroller

I have trim bin. It is nice.
You could easily trim over the coarsest screen from a dry sifting set and then have tools for another product.
My set of 4 screens was only $125?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

I have trim bin. It is nice.
You could easily trim over the coarsest screen from a dry sifting set and then have tools for another product.
My set of 4 screens was only $125?
" My set of 4 screens was only $125? " I'll assume you are talking Usa dollars....I'd guess double plus 15% tax Cdn....I like the DYI idea

D

Dtraderbudz23

Yes I meant for both trimming and Then using the trim leaves that have trichomes on them to get the extra kief. Ive seen a method where you put all the non bud leafs in a freezer bag, freeze them. Then take the trimmed leaves and rub them into a mesh screen to collect all of the magic dust. From the sounds of it buying the 60 dollar bucket sounds like my best bet for a beginner.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Teepee stand is like an A frame stand with axle sitting on top of the A. This was a while ago so I don't remember all the specifics but it's pretty self explanatory.

Most of the parts I cannibalized off of some other stuff I had laying around. The stand I built from some aluminum L channel I saved from some machine I found abandoned on the street. I took the DC motor and speed controller that were on the machine along with the end pulleys that were on the machine. I bought the belt at an auto parts store.

I was sifting mostly trim that I had put in the freezer overnight. IIRC, the mesh was 100 micron/12" x 12" SS sheets. I cut 10" x 10" sections out of the side of the bucket and silicon glued it down to the interior of the bucket. This was an experiment that worked out of first proto.

Basically this machine without the belt guard or box encasing the drum.

Rotary sifter

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

This pic is closer to what I'm talking about. You want to keep the drum low to the catch basin. I used a plastic bin I bought from the Dollar store as a catch basin. You could use 1" x 1/2" wood to build the frame. The motor doesn't need to be very big since the bucket and the weed that you'll be tumbling will be lightweight. If you have a busted rock tumbler you could probably use the motor and controls off of that. I was thinking you could probably connect the motor to the axle directly and do away with the belt and pulley system.

If you wanted to get fancy you could make some sort of door on the side of the bucket to be able to remove and load material but I just removed the bucket from the stand and unscrewed the nuts holding the lid down to the thread bar to get access for loading and unloading.

Tumbler20011 largerocktumbler

Last edited: