Colorado Cracking Down On Pot Pesticides After Toxic Chemicals Discovered

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

"So your example of why regulation doesn't work is because we shipped drywall from China, that has no regulations, and that drywall ended up causing bad smells and deterioration to plumbing, electrical ext. The only fix for this was to demo all the bad drywall and install newly regulated drywall........"

You can't be serious.....you don't realize that one of the multiple US gov't agencies with the appropriate jurisdiction is supposed to inspect imports for poisons, toxins, etc, or do you think any country can ship whatever they want into the US? LOL

It's difficult to debate ignorance. You have no clue what you are talking about.

BTW, i don't have to worry about pesticides in my meds because I believe in and utilize all organics. I guess you can say that my Conscience is my set of Regulations.

So again, your example shows poor regulating, and allowed hazardous material into the USA. Then they upped the regulation and the USA is now hazardous Sheetrock free......Your example is terrible. In your example, lack of regulation lead to harm, more regulation removed this harm.......

Your one of those confused individuals that believe no regulation is the answer, I get it. I am very conservative, and believe in as little regulation as possible. However, regulation is needed, and no better example than your sheetrock example. It's hard to believe people can be 100% one way or the other, but in real life, that just doesn't work. It's all about balance.

Going back to the topic at hand, I believe we need to regulate the quality of our product, but not who gets to grow it, and how do you get certified. I don't want chemical laced buds, just like I don't want chemical laced tomatoes. That part of regulation is needed.

Hope you have a great day @magicride.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Sorry but your minimal regulation fantasy quickly gives way to regulations you directly say you don't want. The first thing that goes is WHO is allowed to grow it, then they say WHERE they will allow it, then they say HOW MUCH your allowed to grow,.....all looking to create 'industry' that can be regulated, and best of all taxed.

while i don't doubt your heart is in the right place, they will never allow the kind of guideline rules your talking about this early in the game. People forget that were still very far from full on legalization even here in Colorado. While most people think you can do what ever you want the fact is where you are, and if your a Med patient still play a huge role in what the non-commercial person can do.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Yes @UCMETOO, you are correct. That is called the progressive polices that govern the USA these days. Start with a little regulation, soon the entire industry is choked to death. Double edge sword.

No regulations = chem, pesticide, miticide, fungicide, and who knows what else

Over regulation = Only Monsato types get to grow pot. Then still sell GMO or chem laced pot.

Can California be the state to balance these powers? I can hope.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Little Dabbie....i love your spirit and your organic grows....

But, i disagree about federal regulation not being involved in this. Texas Kid made this point originally and provided the poof right off the label of the product:

Party on, keep it green, and try organics .... ;-)

I don't Grow?? Other then some potted plants like a rose bush that a rabbit attacked yesterday..?

And your welcome to your opinion. I did say carry on :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
So here is some even more confusing shit on the pesticide side of things out here. These list were published by the MED on Thursday on their website.

Products you CAN use in Marijuana production
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agplants/pesticide-use-marijuana-production

Products you CAN NOT use in marijuana production
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Selected examples of pesticides that cannot be used in marijuana production.pdf

That 2nd link..
Selected example of pesticides that cannot be used in marijuana production

Some examples of pesticides that cannot be used in marijuana production are listed at the link above. This is not an inclusive list, but includes pesticides that we have received repeated questions about.

Its not a full list..

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Yea, Monterey is OMRI certified and Eagle 20, which is the one they are sighting as the big culprit of all the quarantines, isn't even on the list.

Makes little since to me..plus I see Botaniguard which is just Beauveria Bassiana is banned

ubi

ubi

Retards can't even get this right

i know of someone who is on the board that decides what pesticides should be used...... and well he is not the brightest when it comes to growing. For that matter he doesn't even grow anymore. Is also financially vested in a large grow. Thinks there's no difference between machine trimmed and hand trimmed. And im just getting started .... i have to restrain myself.
Here's a thought
(Maybe ask someone who knows pesticides) Then make a list.
Seriously Beauveria Bassiana is banned.
f*cking idiots.

GreenintheThumb

GreenintheThumb

None of you guys seem to understand how this came about. EPA told CDA to follow the pesticide application laws. The laws are the label. If the label isn't written in such a broad way that cannabis COULD be considered under it then it's against the law to apply it to cannabis. It has NOTHING to do with health or safety. I fought with them multiple times trying to get things on it that I would consider perfectly safe. These root drench bacteria products couldn't possibly affect the health of a patient and they're considered safe for the applicator as well. It doesn't matter. You'll find a few products labeled for ornamentals and turf only that have signal words of Danger that are on the "approved' list. One of which you need a pesticide applicators license to apply. Well now I can spray that and AFAIK some asshole could spray it right on buds at week 7 and it would be considered legal. But I can't apply eagly or pristine to my mother plants. Which as products approved for food with a signal word of Warning. Welcome to the legal industry. I had to fight to get Essentria IC3 on this damn list, they didn't think it was labeled correctly. Fucking Rosemary and Peppermint Oil. No Met52, the only thing you could use to fuck up root aphids are neem oil root drenches.

Plenty of things that are considered safe and we should be able to use are too specific on the label and list every species of flowering plant it can be applied to. Others are things that aren't necessarily safe but were labeled broad and say "all greenhouse plants" or "all flowering plants" so it's legal.

@Texas Kid John Lord lawyered up heavy and all 60k plants are able to move and be harvested. I don't think it's legal for them to apply Eagle again tho. And Andrew from Natty Rems lost his case the Judge said it's okay for the health department to hold or destroy plants that were treated with Eagle. The CDA just received a bit more funding and will now be doing inspections on cannabis facilities starting in June or July.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

i know of someone who is on the board that decides what pesticides should be used...... and well he is not the brightest when it comes to growing. For that matter he doesn't even grow anymore. Is also financially vested in a large grow. Thinks there's no difference between machine trimmed and hand trimmed. And im just getting started .... i have to restrain myself.
Here's a thought
(Maybe ask someone who knows pesticides) Then make a list.
Seriously Beauveria Bassiana is banned.
f*cking idiots.

They did ask someone that knows,.......and still went this direction.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Is it just me, or do people need to be better growers. Why the need for all that crap anyway? Grow healthy plants and you wont need all this poison.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Is it just me, or do people need to be better growers. Why the need for all that crap anyway? Grow healthy plants and you wont need all this poison.

AGRO-BUSINESS is not people,.....its BUSINESS!

and just look at this mess but it must be OK, because all you needed was REGULATIONS right?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Why are you so negative and throwing words back in my face? That wasn't even close to my point when I mentioned we need SOME regulation. Your comment is just trolling and down right negative.
AGRO-BUSINESS is not people,.....its BUSINESS!

and just look at this mess but it must be OK, because all you needed was REGULATIONS right?

BTW - People run business, that isn't an excuse either. In your head are these farms run by robots? Special regulating robots?

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Sorry you feel this way,...sometimes the truth stings. The idea that people just need to be better growers is silly, how about saying something reality based like we need to watch what industry does, because it cannot be trusted.
Not trolling you just pointing out where your ideas fall short. Just so you can't blame ignorance for your folly, i spend at least a week a month INSIDE "these grows" and no no robots ( it would be much cleaner no doubt if their were ) I just make a point to say what i see and what i don't see, And YEAH i get a little bent about people with no first hand experience talking out their ass about what the "industry" needs.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
DENVER INVESTIGATED 10 POT GROWS FOR USE OF BANNED PESTICIDES, HOLDS PLANTS

This spring, ten commercial cannabis grows have been investigated by the City of Denver for allegedly using potentially harmful chemicals on plants, and many of those grows are directly connected to popular dispensaries.

In documents obtained by the Cannabis Consumers Coalition via the Colorado Open Records Act (the documents are on view below), the Denver Department of Environmental Health reports on recent investigations of nine marijuana cultivation facilities for reportedly using chemical pesticides such as Avid, Mallet and Eagle 20 — a petroleum-based fungicide. According to Denver Citywide Communications Advisor Daniel Rowland, all nine of the grows complied with the city during its investigations, but Denver still has many of the plants on hold. Putting marijuana plants on hold allows the business to continue growing them, but the plants cannot be sold until cleared by the city.

The nine grows mentioned in the documents aren't the only cultivation operations under scrutiny. As reported by9News, a Denver growing operation for LivWell — a chain of dispensaries with nine locations in the state — had approximately 60,000 plants put on hold in April after health officials deemed LivWell's use of Eagle 20 could be unsafe for consumption. The owner of LivWell, who disputes that Eagle 20 is unsafe, is currently fighting the city's ruling.

Used to fight powdery mildew on plants, Eagle 20 has become a subject of debate among cannabis growers because of its unknown long-term effects. A 2012 study by Dow AgroSciences showed that Eagle 20 contained numerous chemicals that had caused cancer in lab animals, but whose effect on humans has not been documented. The lack of conclusive science regarding pesticide and cannabis has created a gray area for regulated pot cultivation.

Because marijuana is illegal on a federal level, few pesticides have been created specifically for it, and states in which cannabis has been legalized have to do their own research on what's harmful and what isn't. Neither the Environmental Protection Agency nor the U.S. Department of Agriculture lists pesticides that may be used by marijuana grows; nor do they list prohibited pesticides. While the Colorado Department of Agriculture does not have a list of pesticides banned for cannabis cultivation, there is a CDA-approved list of marijuana pesticides that regulated growing operations in the state are supposed to follow. The approved list, last updated April 30, does not contain Eagle 20, Avid or Mallet.

"The Environmental Health inspection team will get a referral, typically from the Fire Department while they're inspecting grows, and if they see some chemicals or red flags, they act on it," Rowland says of Denver inspectors. "Sometimes it's the employees of the grows themselves."

Rowland compares inspections of the grows to inspections of Denver restaurants. "What we do is purely on consumer health and safety," he explains. "Environmental Health is checking not just if the chemicals are approved or not, but also how they're used. There could be an approved pesticide on the list being used, but if the label says use for once a month and the grow is using it once a day, then there's a problem."

Organic Greens, one of the grows with plants on hold for use of Eagle 20, sought to lift the hold in court, claiming city officials had no right to quarantine its products and arguing that the amount of the chemical fungicide used on its plants was safe. On May 15, a Denver judge denied Organic Greens's request for a preliminary injunction to stop the Denver Department of Environmental Health's pesticide enforcement and lift the hold.
Here is the status of eight other growing facilities investigated by the city, according to Rowland.

Altitude East Treatments: Plants remain on hold. This grow was found using Avid, Eagle and Mallet; it supplies plants for Altitude dispensary locations on Evans Avenue and Federal Boulevard. Those dispensaries did not respond to Westword requests for comment.

Evolutionary Holdings: Plants remain on hold. The grow, which sells its products through extraction company Evolab, was found using Eagle 20 and "other pesticides" at its grow site. "We are waiting to hear from the regulatory authorities and will hold off on commenting until we know more," Evolab said in a statement.

Green Cross Colorado: Plants remain on hold. This grow produces plants for edibles; it's been quarantined for Eagle 20 and Mallet. Green Cross Colorado owner Daniel Griffin says it would be inappropriate to comment on the city's active investigation.

The Green Solution: The company, which has nine dispensaries in Colorado, had plants put on hold because at one of its grows, the city found "Eagle 20 and other pesticides that may cause potential contamination and a potential health risk," according to the documents. Plants remain quarantined, but some of its dried product received a limited, conditional release as a result of testing by the Colorado Department of Agriculture. The released produce is for smoking only, and customers must be informed at the point of sale that it is not suitable for human consumption in any other manner.

In an official statement, the company said it takes customer safety very seriously. "We have been working closely with city and state governmental officials to find a resolution to their concerns over pesticide use on cannabis product and have cooperated fully and openly in these efforts," the statement reads. "The pesticides we use on our cannabis products are approved for use on food similar to cannabis, such as hops, grapes, berries, and corn. We use the recommended and proper amounts of all substances, as determined by our team of plant-science experts and as established by product labeling. Pesticides in general are appropriately and safely used in cultivation to eliminate potentially harmful pests and disease from plants, including cannabis, which might otherwise harm consumers."

Mindful: Plants remain on hold. The grow's plants were quarantined after city officials found they were treated with Eagle 20. Company spokesman Erik Williams says Mindful has cooperated fully with Denver and the matter has been resolved.

MMJ America: Grow destroyed plants after city officials confirmed they were sprayed with Avid. According to company CEO Jake Salazer, an employee had treated 100 clones with the banned insecticide, was fired for it and then alerted the city in retaliation. "The state came in and tested every room in our facility, and we tested negative for Eagle 20 and any other banned pesticide," he says. The quarantine has been lifted.

Organic Greens: Plants remain on hold. The grow, which sells its plants through downtown dispensary Natural Remedies, had plants quarantined for treating them with Eagle 20 and failing to update pesticide logs. The company did not respond to requests for comment.

RINO Supply: Voluntarily destroyed approximately 1,548 plants after the city investigated a grow facility for pesticide use. "It was my personal decision, in an abundance of caution for my patients, that I decided to destroy the plants and start fresh in that facility," says RINO president Jared Penman. "It didn't make sense to do anything else." The hold has been lifted.

Sweet Leaf: The company, which has three locations in Denver and one in Aurora, had plants put on hold after city officials found evidence of Eagle 20 at one of its facilities. "We're waiting to see the test results on it," says a Sweet Leaf spokesman. "We wouldn't put anything in our stores that wasn't safe."

Larisa Bolivar, the director of the Cannabis Consumers Coalition who filed the request for information on the city's investigations of the grows, says she understands the challenges that large-scale growing operations go through in regards to pests and fungi, but points out that those challenges are no excuse to cut corners.

“This is dangerous to public safety, and we need better testing policies that put consumer safety first," she said in a press release. "Retail cannabis is supposed to be tested for harmful pesticides, and there already exists a list of acceptable pesticides. This is at best gross negligence on behalf of the offending businesses that shows more concern for money than for safety."

Mandatory testing for all marijuana intended for retail sale in Colorado was supposed to begin this past October, but backlogs in state-approved marijuana testing labs prevented that from happening. During the recent legislative session, a state Senate panel recommended a $300,000 allocation for the Colorado Department of Agriculture for chemical testing of commercial cannabis, but that proposal was not approved by the legislature.

Here are the documents obtained by the Cannabis Consumers Coalition:

See PDF..

http://www.westword.com/news/denver...use-of-banned-pesticides-holds-plants-6654706

View attachment pdf.pdf
Top Bottom