Colorado Cracking Down On Pot Pesticides After Toxic Chemicals Discovered

• Thread starter LittleDabbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Borina

Borina

After combing through the countless new releases of the Colorado D.O.A. Pesticides for Use in Marijuana Production list, my head has nearly popped off. I calmly sat through multiple DOA seminars with countless irritating questions from mindless commercial growers wasting our precious face to face time with the state employees behind these somewhat "confusing" documents...

"Am I allowed to apply this pesticide if I use a paint sprayer vs. an HD-2 vs. a Chapin. I just like the paint sprayer because of its coverage??"..seriously...

What should concern everyone is the fact that whether or not a pesticide is approved for use on cannabis is based solely on the labeling. Seeing products with the same amount of active ingredient/carriers/application rates etc. with separate approval ratings is beginning to make me feel like I am in the twilight zone. Arbitrary notes such as "Use allowed prior to final transplant" contain no weight in this industry as a recommendation and open the door for interpretations and abuse...

I do certainly understand the need for appropriate labeling, especially in our industry... but what kills me are the inconsistencies throughout these "evaluations" of these pesticides. I guess deep down I expect an valid explanation for why we cannot use peppermint oil alone as an insecticide, but we CAN use it if it is combined with rosemary and cedar. Why can we use piperonyl butoxide and pesticides with systemic qualities, but not use sodium bicarbonate??

I am so happy that we are taking steps in the right direction and providing the consumers with essential information.... I just feel as if we need to be giving these regulations much more attention and resources... but maybe I am just being impatient and I should just be happy that we are moving towards awareness. End Rant...

Latest list if anyone is interested... as of 8/28/15

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I had the misfortune of getting some of this before it was taken off of shelves. Put a bowl in the vaporizer and it tasted like sevin dust or the smell of flea powder. Burned my throat, gave me sore throat. Luckilly I tasted it immediatly and only hit it a few times. Makes me wonder what would happen if someone smoked a bunch of it. Luckilly I was able to get my money back.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
After combing through the countless new releases of the Colorado D.O.A. Pesticides for Use in Marijuana Production list, my head has nearly popped off. I calmly sat through multiple DOA seminars with countless irritating questions from mindless commercial growers wasting our precious face to face time with the state employees behind these somewhat "confusing" documents...

"Am I allowed to apply this pesticide if I use a paint sprayer vs. an HD-2 vs. a Chapin. I just like the paint sprayer because of its coverage??"..seriously...

What should concern everyone is the fact that whether or not a pesticide is approved for use on cannabis is based solely on the labeling. Seeing products with the same amount of active ingredient/carriers/application rates etc. with separate approval ratings is beginning to make me feel like I am in the twilight zone. Arbitrary notes such as "Use allowed prior to final transplant" contain no weight in this industry as a recommendation and open the door for interpretations and abuse...

I do certainly understand the need for appropriate labeling, especially in our industry... but what kills me are the inconsistencies throughout these "evaluations" of these pesticides. I guess deep down I expect an valid explanation for why we cannot use peppermint oil alone as an insecticide, but we CAN use it if it is combined with rosemary and cedar. Why can we use piperonyl butoxide and pesticides with systemic qualities, but not use sodium bicarbonate??

I am so happy that we are taking steps in the right direction and providing the consumers with essential information.... I just feel as if we need to be giving these regulations much more attention and resources... but maybe I am just being impatient and I should just be happy that we are moving towards awareness. End Rant...

Latest list if anyone is interested... as of 8/28/15
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/atoms/files/Pesticides that can be used to produce marijuana_0.pdf
Yes, this is ENTIRELY to do with labeling laws. I didn't really understand the whole thing until I got my operators license in my county and had to start reporting what products I'd used on my produce. At that same time, one of the cantaloupe listeria outbreaks occurred and a light went off in my head, I finally understood.

The flip side of that coin is from the manufacturer's POV, and Capulator could discuss that at some length with us, I'm sure. But, in a nutshell, either they go with very broad labeling (preferred? I think so) or they go with more specific labeling, and there you go.

Did you know that quinoa production in the US is in the same boat? At least, the last time I checked it was.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

IMO any consumable crop should be organic only. There should be no chance that any consumer should consume poison but the government does not care. They knowingly approve medications that they know is made with poison, look up how antidepressants are made.
This is where you get this problem, there is a big "gold rush" right now within the cannabis community aand everyone and their sister is trying to cash in on it. Some know nothing about the cultivation of a house plant much less how to grow cannabis. Very few people that get into the cannabis industry to make money really care about you or your health. Very few of them know anything about cultivation and what ferts or pest control methods to use. Alot of the people starting to grow nowdays are very young and not mentally mature yet. Therefore you get these instances , especially in non legal states, where there are some really toxic chemicals on bud. It could be the person didn't know or didn't care. Either way, the only real way to know what is on it is to grow it yourself, but it would be nice if the whole country was legal and more strict guidlines were put into place to keep people from injesting poison. ( require a label "certified organic"on organic grown cannabis)

Last edited:
3N1GM4

3N1GM4

The really really sad part is, that since CO is cracking down on the pesticides, where do you think all that contaminated weed will end up? You really think all those farmers are gonna take a loss on the tons of bud they can't sell in denver? No they will ship it east and make a big profit. People out east will just smoke it anyway, it's not like they can just go to the corner and pick from 30 different strains of bud. When you get it in a non legal state you get what you get and don't ask for your money back or you might get shot...

epitome

epitome

How soon before clean weed shows up in shops?
Might be awhile, its in good demand.
We shouldn't hold our breath but a glimpse of hope comes in the form of honesty from budtenders, they have actually admitted to me what has and doesn't have pest/insect/fungicides etc... damn near everything has all that shit in there...even there labels have it if you trust those and then the rest of the trust goes to what was used but not in amounts that could be measured with current equip...we just got to grow our own and research and apply.

Tripsick

Tripsick

I was over at a friends house this weekend and he had a joint from one of the shops and we are smoking it and i'm like what weed is this? it taste like sulfur.. He says.. It's BlueDream... lol.. No bluedream doesn't taste like fucking sulfur.. well unless....

So are Sulfur Burners legal to use in a recreational Grow? and if they are running a sulfur burner we all know what they are fighting..

Tripsick

Tripsick

Ever smoke some shop weed and have it dry you lips and mouth out.. Not like cotton mouth but like plastic coating all over you.. So many chemicals being sprayed on these plants.. But hey with all this regulation just sue the shit out of everyone.
From the state to the grow to the labs and dispensaries.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I was over at a friends house this weekend and he had a joint from one of the shops and we are smoking it and i'm like what weed is this? it taste like sulfur.. He says.. It's BlueDream... lol.. No bluedream doesn't taste like fucking sulfur.. well unless....

So are Sulfur Burners legal to use in a recreational Grow? and if they are running a sulfur burner we all know what they are fighting..
Syphilitic Gonorrhea?

epitome

epitome

Lol ya and pay attention to that blue dream flavor you will taste that in many flowers with many diffrent names lol that sux that you e experienced the "blue dream" experience

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Lol ya and pay attention to that blue dream flavor you will taste that in many flowers with many diffrent names lol that sux that you e experienced the "blue dream" experience
I had an experience with something similar but it was called the 'blue balls' experience and it was not fun. Girls are evil.

Top Bottom