Completely New, What do I need?

• Thread starter GrowerNewbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowerNewbie

GrowerNewbie

Hi everyone! I apologize in advance for my compete ignorance about growing. I’ve never grown before and my gardening experience is cactus that survived in my living room for a year.

I am looking to grow medical marijuana. I am looking in to equipment I need to begin growing and it’s overwhelming to say the least. I want an affordable option but also need to grow a number of plants (for sake of reference I am thinking I need to start with 15 indoor plants or so).
What equipment do I need and how much? I know I need lights but not sure what is most efficient and I don’t know what else I need?

I think I need a grow tent but have read different things. Do I need a grow tent? What else do I need to get started.

magazine I apologize for my complete ignorance and any guidance I can get would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The only thing I can really give you a hint about is that if you want to grow 15 plants you will want an area of at least 5' x 5', unless you plan on keeping them small. Since you have only grown a cactus, and I guess it croaked after a year, you will need to work on basic skills of keeping plants alive, and training them to a size will have to come later.

The rest would require a million questions and answers. Do you live in a legal state? What part of your house are you dedicating to growing? Does the room have a dedicated circuit and what's the amperage? Where will you be exhausting air? Who do you live with?

No one will have the patience for this, so you're going to have to pick up a lot on your own. If you don't have someone live and in-person, peruse sites like this, listen to the myriad of podcasts on growing, and narrow your questions.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Mr. Canucks grow on youtube will show you a lot of different setups from simple, in a closet no tent to full blown closed room tents with co2 etc. Start to get a feel of what would work for you and keep reading THCFarmer!

chemistry

chemistry

I would start with a small 4x4 tent and work your way up, as indoor growing can be tease at times, and the more you have going on.

GrowerNewbie

GrowerNewbie

The only thing I can really give you a hint about is that if you want to grow 15 plants you will want an area of at least 5' x 5', unless you plan on keeping them small. Since you have only grown a cactus, and I guess it croaked after a year, you will need to work on basic skills of keeping plants alive, and training them to a size will have to come later.

The rest would require a million questions and answers. Do you live in a legal state? What part of your house are you dedicating to growing? Does the room have a dedicated circuit and what's the amperage? Where will you be exhausting air? Who do you live with?

No one will have the patience for this, so you're going to have to pick up a lot on your own. If you don't have someone live and in-person, peruse sites like this, listen to the myriad of podcasts on growing, and narrow your questions.

I live in Ontario which is a legal province. We are allowed 4 plants unless you have a medical license then you can have up to whatever your prescription allows.
We can do indoor or outdoor but because of winter here I opted for indoor.

I definitely will have to up my gardening skills. Which you’d think I would have some skills since I have a degree in biology and took botany but I guess theoretical knowledge and practical Skills are two very different animals lol.

I think based on what I’ve read the actual plant care and learning may be therapeutical in itself for the depression and anxiety side of things and the actual consuming THC will help with the chronic pain. I will do my best to research and discovering this forum will help immensely with questions. I’ve also found a few apps that may be helpful with guidance. I’m looking forward to getting started but there is so much to know with monitoring humidity and pH levels. My partner has some knowledge of the outdoor plants and when to harvest and how to dry so that I can learn from him. He has very little indoor plant knowledge though and the outdoor ones he has always cared for. Once my license comes though we can only grow indoors.

Indoor is also my best option for growing as last year our outdoor plants were stolen. All that work and then people wait for harvest time to come swipe peoples plants.

GrowerNewbie

GrowerNewbie

Thank you for your input.Yes I guess it is a very broad question to ask with lots of possible answers. I am lucky that my fiancée knows a bit about growing outdoors as the 4 recreational plants we are allowed to grow legally in Ontario are outdoors. I just don’t know how that knowledge translates for indoor side of things but I am sure he can give lots of help too. We are about to harvest so I will put extra close attention this year.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

I would start with a small 4x4 tent and work your way up, as indoor growing can be tease at times, and the more you have going on.

hear, hear.

start small, then expand later. dip your toes into the water, before diving in.

start with smaller area, and smaller number of plants - easier to manage. as you hone your skills, you can expand your grow. start smaller area, then you can clone later - or expand into a perpetual grow.

important thing is to get started with some quality genetics.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Starting smaller is certainly cheaper, but I don't think it creates a tougher learning curve. Everything else is the same.

With less space, would you master reefer growing sooner? Be more expert? I don't see how.

Of course, once you have a tent/grow space, you might be thinking two would be better. Or three...

SisterMooo

SisterMooo

I just started as well. Corona Hobby. So.... I did everything Half assed backwards. Ended up getting a small grew tent..... and a 300w LED grow light with Bloom feature on it, ended up also getting different fans, then got a nice Carbon filter and 4 in inline fan.... Needed because of smell and to get humidity out of tent.....

It was a crazy first grow..... off my first Autoflower plant that I grew with a plant that I had to put into flower..... the auto flower didn't get too much yield.... 17 grams.....

my other plant I Yielded 2 1/2 oz..... not bad for my first grow....... The Autoflower plant I cured for over a month.... OMG.... I wish there was more..... such a different high than I've had in a long time...... It was great. My friend said that she believes that it picked up my personality! LOL I got my seeds from overseas..... The auto flower was Bubbelicious..... said it was an easy grow for beginner smokers. I regretted getting a beginner smoker because I smoke a lot. But, the high was so different.... and I haven't been so happy or laughed so much being high in a very long time..... I be happy..... but, so little yield.... have to savor the little I have left.....

The other plant did ok.... Feminized.... AK-48 it has been curing for 2 weeks..... Might try tomorrow when company comes over.

I am starting my second grow now.... 3.... plants.... maybe 4 one is just not looking good at all.... all different strains.... so we shall see how my second grow goes.... I live up north, so it is getting cooler now, and we don't keep the house too warm in the winter. So it is a test once again.

You will love growing...... I suggest.... getting a tent kit.... you will save $$ in the long run.... like I said, I did this, then that.... then ended up getting a small tent, different lights.... etc. I spent a lot of $$ needlessly.... I should have just gotten a tent kit to start with..... I would have saved $$ in the long run.....

good luck

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Hi everyone! I apologize in advance for my compete ignorance about growing. I’ve never grown before and my gardening experience is cactus that survived in my living room for a year.

I am looking to grow medical marijuana. I am looking in to equipment I need to begin growing and it’s overwhelming to say the least. I want an affordable option but also need to grow a number of plants (for sake of reference I am thinking I need to start with 15 indoor plants or so).
What equipment do I need and how much? I know I need lights but not sure what is most efficient and I don’t know what else I need?

I think I need a grow tent but have read different things. Do I need a grow tent? What else do I need to get started.

magazine I apologize for my complete ignorance and any guidance I can get would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Lots of ways to grow some herb, but I assumed you just wanted one option that would work to make it simple. So let me give that a try. This will be for 4 plants, soil organic, no carbon filter.

Tent Setup
> 3x3 tent
> 4" inline fan
> 4" ducting
> small clip fan
> cmh 315
> Feminized seeds (atleast 6, do not assume 100% germ rate)
> Dehumidifier
> Organic bug preventative spray (Examples: SNS209, Plant Therapy)

Soil and Fertilizer
> Soil (Examples: fox farms, soil king, roots organics)
> all purpose organic dry amendment mix (Examples: dr earth, down to earth, fox farms, gaia green)
> Fish hydrolysate (Example: Neptunes Harvest)
> solo cups, 1 gal pots x 4, 10 g pots x 4
> Some sort of saucer or tray, preferably with some sort of drain.

Swap out the second section if soil organic does not interest you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom